+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 87 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

While the actress playing Ros is not stick thin, she is definitely not "normal" sized. That rear end had barely an ounce of excess fat on it, as evidenced by the fact that more than one viewer mistook her for a 15-year old (and a very skinny one at that) from the back!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I understand the narrative differences, but the TB producers have half abandoned the storylines in the books, to the detriment of the series, imo.

I've read some comments on other sites from viewers saying that Ned's execution means they won't watch the show anymore because Sean Bean was the only reason they watched. I feel like a) if that's ALL they could find about the show to love then they didn't get it and b) Ned's execution is CRITICAL (ha!) to the rest of the series. His death set almost everything else in motion and you feel the effects of his death rippling out over the next 4+ books. I love that this show has the b@lls (because GRRM did, of course) to kill of a main character. He's on all the posters, for crying out loud!

I love Sean Bean and yes, he was one of the reasons I tuned in on the first night (along with the fabulous Peter Dinklage, whom I adore), but he's not the only reason I kept watching. The show totally sucked me in and the characters that I fell in love with didn't include Ned. Half the time, I wished I could shake Ned and tell him to wise up!

BTW, some of the images on this site are hilarious!: Winter Is Coming, Bitches
    I know you know the difference but posters are always complaining about this issue when the producers of True Blood were quite clear that their show would deviate from the Sookie Stackhouse books while the producers of Game of Thrones were quite clear that they would not deviate from the basic plot lines. It's beating a dead horse to constantly read that same complaint over and over again. While I truly enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse books I also enjoy True Blood, occasionally I do have to remind myself "it's not the book, it's not the book". On the other hand I think Game of Thrones is so plot dense and character rich I have to sit back and be amazed that the producers were able to show so much in only 10 1 hour episodes. I am surprised that season 2 of Game of Thrones is still only 10 episodes because it screams for at least 13.

Side note: Looks like HBO has picked up True Blood for season 5. Alan Bell says he may stay on as a show runner for another couple of seasons and thinks he will move on leaving the show in the hands of another runner. He also mentioned he doesn't think that HBO will run True Blood long enough to do all 10 books that are now out.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bearcata
    It's beating a dead horse to constantly read that same complaint over and over again.
    Not to mention that constantly comparing the show to the books makes the thread rather boring for people who enjoy the show but haven't read (nor intend to read) the books.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    While the actress playing Ros is not stick thin, she is definitely not "normal" sized. That rear end had barely an ounce of excess fat on it, as evidenced by the fact that more than one viewer mistook her for a 15-year old (and a very skinny one at that) from the back!
    With the big, heavy dresses they wear, who could tell what kind of butt that "skinny" 15 year old has? I sure couldn't! You never know what's hiding under those folds of material.

And, Poppy, you speak my heart! I thought it was just me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Regardless of whether anyone is tired of the book/show comparisons, they are inevitable and will continue here (and in other threads) as long as the posts fall within our rules.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I think we understand that we are definitely out-numbered! I just skip the posts about the books.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Maybe you'll give in and read the books in this LOOOONG wait before season 2 starts

Unfortunately, there's not even a slight possibility. I just can't read books like those. I do wish I could. Just like I can't read the Sookie Stackhouse books, either.

I'm so torn about reading/not reading these books. On the one hand, I know I would love the books and it is a long time before the next season starts. On the other hand it was so much fun watching the first season without knowing what was going to happen. And the surprising/shocking moments were so awesome!

I tried to convince myself that I could read the first book, and only the first book. since I've already seen the first season. But I know myself well enough to realize I would gobble up the following books in the series like chocolate ice cream.

What I will tell anyone who's on the fence about reading the books is this: if your hesitation is not wanting to know what's going to happen, then obviously, don't read them. But if your concern is that the show will diverge from the books like with True Blood, then read the books. The show creators have made it pretty clear that they aren't going to mess with the books any more than they can help it.

The analogy I would make is the Harry Potter series. The films follow the HP books fairly closely, but there are things in the books - things that I think make the books richer and more entertaining - are left out of the movies. The same is true for GOT, and will become even MORE true as the series continues because the books get longer and have fewer events and plot points that can be brushed over. There is more expository information in the first book that isn't in the books that follow, so things will just have to be left out or the seasons will be too expensive to produce.

I have heard rumors that book 3 will be split into two seasons. I'd love to see that happen. It will give Martin more time to write books 6 and 7!
    Last edited by Critical; 06-28-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: grammar, argh.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread