+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 87 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565 ... LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Now that I've watched the finale, I'm eager to hear what everyone else thought! I thought it was one of the best finales I've seen. The final two scenes - the Night's Watch heading out beyond the Wall and Dany with the dragons - had me practically giddy! The dragon scene isn't the way I pictured it (they left one important part out, I think) and you couldn't see Drogon very clearly, but I'll take it! Those few scenes with Pycelle were terrific! Lots of people at King's Landing pretending to be something they aren't.

This was definitely both a kick-a$$ season finale AND a prologue to the next season and (hopefully) beyond!

I have to say, the casting director on this show deserves major kudos! Yes, there were a few well known actors on the show but, for me, the stars have been the unknowns - Sophie Turner (who really nailed Sansa during that scene with Joff tonight), Maisie Williams and Emilia Clarke, especially. I know Emilia was a recast but I can't imagine anyone else as Dany (even though her resemblance to Piper Perabo was slightly distracting at the start of the season). She has shown so much depth this season and GROWTH. I know she'll be able to handle everything else that Dany faces down the line.

This video just makes me really happy:
    Watch "What If 'Game of Thrones' Was a Buddy Comedy?" Video at New York Magazine
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I *loved* the finale. (So much in contrast to The Killing finale, but that's for another thread.) I'll be completely honest--I have YET to finish the first book. I started it in October and got up to about 180 pages from the end (about 10 minutes into last week's episode) but spoiled myself via Wikipedia. All along I knew what was coming, but this is one instance where the film version is better than the written word for me. Much more to the heart of the action, to the characterizations, and emotional depth of the characters. The show actually made me feel a bit bad for Sansa, whereas in the book, I'd rather Needle find her in her sleep. I'll definitely be tuning in for next season to see how the war unfolds and what is beyond the Wall.

Crit, loved the Buddy Comedy edit. Tyrion is far and away my favorite character (written and on screen). I might just force myself to finish the book to read his chapters.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    The dragon scene isn't the way I pictured it (they left one important part out, I think) and you couldn't see Drogon very clearly, but I'll take it!
    Okay, I just watched the ending again and Drogon was nursing when Dany first lifted her head.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

How can it be over already???? WAAAAHHHH!!!! I know it's typical of HBO but "Spring 2012" just seems soooo far away right now.

The finale was amazing. I tried to get DH to make some predictions on what he thought was going to happen (he wouldn't) and then he told me afterwards, he wouldn't have even thought of half the stuff that actually happened. The dragons were so cool! I was afraid they might look cheesy or something but they were amazing. Dany is officially the Mother of Dragons (though she's supposed to be bald!)

IA that the characters were cast perfectly. I thought the original Catelyn might've been better but now I can't imagine another in Michelle Fairley's place. Usually when I read books first, TV or movie characters stay separate from what I envisioned. Because these actors/resses were cast so well, I can't separate the two. I'm so glad they brought their A game and the writers stuck so closely to the books. I really am so pleased and in awe that they were able to pull it all off so well!

Such a great set up for next season but I am wondering about a couple of things and I'll put these in spoilers just in case -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the direwolves are supposed to play a bigger role so I'm wondering if they will give them more time, esp. Summer with Bran.
    That's def. going to need to happen in Book 2 There was a scene shown in the previews with Eddard telling Jon when he returned, they'd talk about his mother. They never showed that. Will it be shown next season in a flashback? There's got to be *some* point that Jon wonders about it...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

WOW! WOW! WOW!!!! What an ending!!!! I am so glad that I had no knowledge of what was going to happen last night. For me, having something to compare it to would have just gotten in the way and been a distraction! I guess I like my shows "pure".

Was it just me, or does Arya have boobies? It looked that way to me more than once, so I don't know how long this pretense of being a boy will hold up. This girl is going to be "hell on wheels" and, I'm sure, she will be raining down some chaos.

And a part of me was waiting for Sansa to throw herself off that bridge from which she wanted to
    push Joffrey. Sansa is stronger than I though.

I am not really convinced that Dany's baby is dead, but if it is, that was expected, what with the "cure" the old woman was going for. Dany was ridiculously impressive. She, too, is going to be a ridiculous force with which to reckon. She is the true dragon....and we all know that fire cannot kill the dragon. Wow! And at such a young age! And those cute little dragons look exactly like her baby did, no doubt. And maybe the way Dany looked when she was born? I love playing with this, in my mind!

Now, it's my job to refrain from dying between now and next fall! I am ready to watch the whole season again!

Last edited by prhoshay; 06-20-2011 at 10:15 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Regular

I too loved the finale. There were a few differences in the book. The scene with Cersei and the young Lannister boy is not something I remember from the book. The dragons were great!!! I must have missed where he was nursing. I thought that was left out. I am going to watch the whole season over again this weekend. Love love love love this show.

The finale was really, really awesome. The ending with the dragons was so creepily adorable. (I want my own baby dragon. Do you think I could train it not to eat my dogs when it grows up? )

I agree with you, shay, I'm happy I haven't read the books yet. It's so much fun watching the series without comparing it to the books. And I do think Arrya is developing, they will have to come up with an outfit that hides her her shape more if she it supposed to be a boy much longer. Speaking of boys, was that one of Robert's illegitimate sons that was talking to Arrya at the end?

Loved the part with the old councilor pretending to be more feeble than he really is. And for a brief, horrifying second I thought that the naked redhead in his room was Sansa!

The cast is wonderful, the writing is good, the story is fantastic, spring 2011 can't get here fast enough!

CCL

^ It was the son who had been working as the swordmaker's apprentice (that Ned visited).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie View Post
    The finale was really, really awesome. The ending with the dragons was so creepily adorable. (I want my own baby dragon. Do you think I could train it not to eat my dogs when it grows up? )

I agree with you, shay, I'm happy I haven't read the books yet. It's so much fun watching the series without comparing it to the books. And I do think Arrya is developing, they will have to come up with an outfit that hides her her shape more if she it supposed to be a boy much longer. Speaking of boys, was that one of Robert's illegitimate sons that was talking to Arrya at the end?

Loved the part with the old councilor pretending to be more feeble than he really is. And for a brief, horrifying second I thought that the naked redhead in his room was Sansa!

The cast is wonderful, the writing is good, the story is fantastic, spring 2011 can't get here fast enough!
    It was Gendry with Arya at the end. We may see more of Robert's illegitimate children down the line as well. He got around!

I worked hard NOT to spoil my friends who hadn't finished book 1 before the finale, but I've also encouraged them to read the books. Books 2 and 3 are so rich and full that there is NO way they will be able to adapt them as fully as they did with book 1, unless they split them into multiple seasons (I've heard rumors, but I think they're false, at least with book 2)

Also, it wasn't Drogon that Dany was nursing - he was on her shoulder. I always think of him as all black, but he's red too. I already LOVE how they're depicting the dragons! I can't wait to see more!

I forgot to say last night...."HOT PIE!" I was almost as excited to see him as I was to see Hodor!

ETA: Interview with Emilia Clarke about the season finale: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Game-Thr...e-1034348.aspx
    Last edited by Critical; 06-21-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Loved, loved, loved the finale. My husband was teasing me last night as I wathced it for the FOURTH time on HBO. I am going to rewatch the whole season this week - can't get enough of it.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread