+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 87 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464 ... LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

I understand the narrative differences, but the TB producers have half abandoned the storylines in the books, to the detriment of the series, imo.

I've read some comments on other sites from viewers saying that Ned's execution means they won't watch the show anymore because Sean Bean was the only reason they watched. I feel like a) if that's ALL they could find about the show to love then they didn't get it and b) Ned's execution is CRITICAL (ha!) to the rest of the series. His death set almost everything else in motion and you feel the effects of his death rippling out over the next 4+ books. I love that this show has the b@lls (because GRRM did, of course) to kill of a main character. He's on all the posters, for crying out loud!

I love Sean Bean and yes, he was one of the reasons I tuned in on the first night (along with the fabulous Peter Dinklage, whom I adore), but he's not the only reason I kept watching. The show totally sucked me in and the characters that I fell in love with didn't include Ned. Half the time, I wished I could shake Ned and tell him to wise up!

BTW, some of the images on this site are hilarious!: Winter Is Coming, Bitches
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

All I can think is if people like the first season, they're going to LOVE the next ones even more if they continue following the books the way they are.

I know a lot of people are upset that Ned was killed but I think it *had* to happen. His death sets so many things in motion and I'm sure, if they wanted, the producers could always have flashbacks with him in future seasons. Heck, Sean Bean should be used to it since they did that with Boromir in the LOTR movies since fans liked him so much. But I really think that Ned's death is the real "beginning" of the series.

I can't believe next week is the Season Finale - how have these 9 weeks gone by so quickly?
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I wonder if Sansa gets it now that so she, her sister and her father would have been out of the city and safe except for her? I wonder do the Lanisters really think that they can keep followers if they are publicly always breaking their promises?
    It's really not Sansa's fault they were captured by the Lanisters is it? Don't get me wrong, she's an annoying little git, but I thought it was Ned's fault for alerting Cersei that he knew her and Jamie's secret. And poor Ned, he dishonors himself by confessing to save his daughters and Joffrey still kills him.

This series is soooo good, I can't imagine not watching just because Ned is dead. (Ned's dead baby, Ned's dead - Bruce Willis in Pulp Fiction, anyone?) Even if it was just an hour of Peter Dinklage and his whore of the week I would still want to watch!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie View Post
    It's really not Sansa's fault they were captured by the Lanisters is it? Don't get me wrong, she's an annoying little git, but I thought it was Ned's fault for alerting Cersei that he knew her and Jamie's secret. And poor Ned, he dishonors himself by confessing to save his daughters and Joffrey still kills him.
    Book spoiler!
    Click to see Spoiler:

It doesn't make quite as much sense in the sense of the HBO series, but in the book after Ned decides to send the girls home, he orders them to stay in their rooms till they leave. Sansa disobeys and runs to Cersei to tell her of Ned's plans, and Cersei is able to move more quickly than Ned, who still thinks he can play by his honorable rules. She's able to get the Gold Cloaks on her side because she had Sansa's advance warning and was able to take the girl hostage. Now, Ned may or may not have been taken by the Lannisters if Sansa hadn't revealed his plan to send them away, but it is possible that the girls, at least, might have gotten away. I tend to think not-Ned's far to naive when it comes to the motives of the other characters, and I tend to think that even without Sansa's betrayal Cersei would have outsmarted Ned just because she thinks in such devious ways.

I couldn't stop watching any more than I could stop reading. What people don't really understand until the second book (and I didn't either) is that GRRM never intended for only one character to be the protagonist. He always meant for there to be lots of different viewpoints, and he definitely makes you change the way you feel about characters over the course of the series. Look at Drogo-not a viewpoint character, but an important one. He wasn't very well liked in the first few episodes because he seemed cruel, but now people love him. It's easy to identify with Ned because he's one of the very few characters who is honest and honorable. That likability kind of tricks people into thinking he's the 'main' character when it's the conflicts that people should focus on.

BTW, I'm very sad the first season will be over next week. I can't believe we'll have to wait another year for the next season! I really hope they add episodes for S2

Although I do love Ned...my favorite from the first time I saw him is Jon Snow. I am very interested to see how his character develops along with Arya. This show went by way too fast..and I may have to read the books while I wait for the next season.

FORT Fan

I'm with most people in that I love Dany, I love Tyrion, and Arya is great. I'm not fond of tv-Sansa, but I think her story in the books is fascinating. She's so naive and gullible at the start of GOT and aside from Ned, she definitely has the biggest reality check by the time this episode rolled around. As for the non POV characters in the first book....I adore Littlefinger (okay, the tv version was kinda creepy with the prostitute-in-training scene) and I would love to get more of his story. I think the actor playing him is great-I love the little twinkle in his eye every time he starts scheming. And although we haven't seen much of Tywin, I also think they nailed that casting. I don't think he even twitches a muscle onscreen unless it's to add to his character.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

"...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best line I have heard in reference to Ned and the king and the situation he ended up with is. "Do good soldiers make good kings?".
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I can't believe the season is over tomorrow, but the show starts production on season 2 on July 25th!

The finale is going to be intense. I can't wait for the final scene. I've been waiting to see it ever since I finished book 1. If it's the same one that the book ends with (and it had better be!), it's going to be a jaw-dropper!

I wish I could go to ComicCon to see the panel discussion but a) I can't afford to go and b) I hate crowds! I'll have to settle for watching the videos afterward.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Well, if you are going to have a finale that is the finale to have, watching as one of the pivotal characters walks into her husbands funeral pyre and to emerge the next day alive and unburnt with 3 baby dragons draped over her body.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread