+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

I wonder if Sansa gets it now that so she, her sister and her father would have been out of the city and safe except for her? I wonder do the Lanisters really think that they can keep followers if they are publicly always breaking their promises?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

One of the things you learn from reading the books is that NO ONE is safe and that ANYONE can die. It's not like True Blood where you know they aren't ever going to kill Sookie. It's unsettling to know that your favorite character could go at any time. Sean Bean was arguably the lead actor on the show and now he's gone and anyone else could be next. It's fun to be kept guessing, but it's hard to see your favorite characters die or to see the "bad" guys go unpunished.....although in this story, there are few characters who are all bad or all good. That's another reason I love this world that Martin has created.

Can't wait for the finale, although I know I'll shed a few more tears.

I have to say again that, although Ned's execution was horrid, the scene was shot and staged so beautifully. Maisie Williams is turning into an incredible little actress. I can't believe she's never acted before. Arya is one of my favorite characters in the books and I know that Maisie can do her justice.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fan

Well to be fair, it's Joffrey who 'broke' his promise, and not only is he just a kid, but he never really promised to spare Ned. He told Sansa that Ned had to confess if he expected mercy, but never actually said he'd grant it. Plus he pointed out his views-his mother and Sansa wanted Ned to be pardoned and take the black, but Joffrey felt that a traitor should die. don't get me wrong, the kid is a little s*&^ and he's also dumb as a box of rocks and vicious to boot, but he never promised to not kill Ned

As for keeping their followers, the Starks and the Lannisters have been at odds the whole series, so it's not like Joff was betraying his own alliances by executing Ned. And imagine what it was like in the middle ages. Serfs had to do whatever their lords told them, so as long as the high lords in this series decide to follow Joffrey and the Lannisters, the peasants have to obey and fight for the brat. Ned and Jon Arryn (the previous Hand) are the only ones shown who have realized that Joff is illegitimate, so the rest of the nobility have no reason to back Ned, who from the outside seems to have just decided to turn against the rightful heir for no reason at all.

If only DNA testing existed back then. Get them on Maury and then no one has to follow the brat!

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev View Post
    Well to be fair, it's Joffrey who 'broke' his promise, and not only is he just a kid, but he never really promised to spare Ned. He told Sansa that Ned had to confess if he expected mercy, but never actually said he'd grant it. Plus he pointed out his views-his mother and Sansa wanted Ned to be pardoned and take the black, but Joffrey felt that a traitor should die. don't get me wrong, the kid is a little s*&^ and he's also dumb as a box of rocks and vicious to boot, but he never promised to not kill Ned

As for keeping their followers, the Starks and the Lannisters have been at odds the whole series, so it's not like Joff was betraying his own alliances by executing Ned. And imagine what it was like in the middle ages. Serfs had to do whatever their lords told them, so as long as the high lords in this series decide to follow Joffrey and the Lannisters, the peasants have to obey and fight for the brat. Ned and Jon Arryn (the previous Hand) are the only ones shown who have realized that Joff is illegitimate, so the rest of the nobility have no reason to back Ned, who from the outside seems to have just decided to turn against the rightful heir for no reason at all.
    Mercy was implied. Much in politics is in the subtext of what a person says. But also the overall actions of a person set the tone for their reign and the long term implications is that Joffrey can't be trusted, he will break his word and he is a vicious bastard and since the councilors probably have been around seen the kid has been a baby they have pretty good idea what a litte POS he is. His kind never last long as tyrants.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Mercy was implied. Much in politics is in the subtext of what a person says. But also the overall actions of a person set the tone for their reign and the long term implications is that Joffrey can't be trusted, he will break his word and he is a vicious bastard and since the councilors probably have been around seen the kid has been a baby they have pretty good idea what a litte POS he is. His kind never last long as tyrants.
    I was completely unsurprised by Joffrey's having Ned executed. Joffrey's the king, and forgiving a traitor who challenged his right to the throne might more probably be seen as weak than as merciful. Kings have the divine privilege of changing their minds (going back on their word).

Given the fact that Joffrey has been accepted as the rightful heir to the throne, all of the Starks except Sansa are fair game as "traitors." In light of the fact that war is now being waged against the Lancasters, I do find it surprising that Sansa is not being held captive, but is seen as Joffrey's betrothed. Maybe she is a de facto hostage.

And I will not find it surprising if Dany's baby dies. The price of that healing spell is a life, and I doubt that a horse is going to be enough.

Needles to say, I haven't read the books.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Needles to say? Dontcha hate auto correct Poppy LOL I was just having trouble with it myself.

I really despise Joffrey (entitled little so-and-so) I have the books and I have been taking my time getting through them, making sure not to get ahead of the series. Last night I flipped forward 100 pages and kept reading. They killed my Ned! Dirty buggers >
    I know they are pressed for time but I would have liked to see more of Arya in Flea Bottom. I'm anxious and sad for the finale next week.
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I do, Duxxy! I called the Lannisters the "Lancasters," too.

Joffrey and his mom are pure evil. The characters in this series are all compelling and well done. I'm going to have to read the books!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I do, Duxxy! I called the Lannisters the "Lancasters," too.

Joffrey and his mom are pure evil. The characters in this series are all compelling and well done. I'm going to have to read the books!
    I'd encourage anyone who loves the show to give the books a try. It took me about 150 pages to really get into book one and the format Martin uses, but then I couldn't put it down. It seems to me, with a few exceptions, that the writers are being more true to the books than they are with, say, True Blood. I read an interview recently with one of the creators and he said that, even though it wasn't in the book, they added the fight scene where Drogo is injured because Jason Momoa convinced them it was needed. If Drogo is supposed to be such a badass, but the viewers never see him fight, it doesn't ring true.

So far, I think the tone of the show is very faithful to that of the books and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that GRRM is involved with the show and even writing scripts. I hope the producers continue to have reverence for the books because they are fabulous. You don't need to go anywhere else for storylines - they're all there in the books, which are so rich!

ETA: Nice interview on EW, with producers David Benioff and DB Weiss: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/06/12/ga...death/?Cnn=yes
    Last edited by Critical; 06-14-2011 at 03:24 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'd encourage anyone who loves the show to give the books a try. It took me about 150 pages to really get into book one and the format Martin uses, but then I couldn't put it down. It seems to me, with a few exceptions, that the writers are being more true to the books than they are with, say, True Blood. I read an interview recently with one of the creators and he said that, even though it wasn't in the book, they added the fight scene where Drogo is injured because Jason Momoa convinced them it was needed. If Drogo is supposed to be such a badass, but the viewers never see him fight, it doesn't ring true.

So far, I think the tone of the show is very faithful to that of the books and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that GRRM is involved with the show and even writing scripts. I hope the producers continue to have reverence for the books because they are fabulous. You don't need to go anywhere else for storylines - they're all there in the books, which are so rich!

ETA: Nice interview on EW, with producers David Benioff and DB Weiss: Game of Thrones Death | Inside TV | EW.com
    It was never the intention of the producers of True Blood to stay true to the Sookie Stackhouse books, the intention of the series is to tell the story from the other characters point of view. This opens up the story to more episodes. I don't think that is necessary with Game of Thrones as that story is already being told from multiple POVs and is already a complicated story full of subplots. It is hard to compare a straight forward storyline like the Sookie Stackhouse books which the producers and writers are trying to make more complex with an already complex story like GOT which the producers and writers are trying to present in a simplified manners so viewers can follow the plotlines.

+ Reply to Thread