+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sanctuary (SyFy)

Sanctuary (SyFy)

Sanctuary follows the adventures of the beautiful, enigmatic and always surprising Dr. Helen Magnus, her new recruit, forensic psychiatrist Dr. Will Zimmerman and her fearless daughter Ashley. Together they track down, study and protect the strange and often terrifying creatures that secretly populate our world and live among us.

Although dismissed as monstrous figments of our imaginations and the stuff of our childhood nightmares, Magnus recognizes that the world is full of nature’s mistakes and triumphs and has the spectacular proof that they are indeed real.

Will, an insightful psychiatric profiler with a knack for finding the strange and curious, reluctantly joins the team to aid in the study of beings he can hardly believe himself. Together, Magnus, Will, Ashley and quirky tech-whiz Henry, use their unique combination of instinct, medicine and cutting edge technology to find the creatures that lurk in the corners of our civilization and protect us from those too dangerous to be roaming free.
    Synopsis | Sanctuary

I just discovered this show on Netflix and have been plowing through season 1. Apparently, Season 1 was a web series and then SiFy picked it up for seasons 2 and now 3, which is currently airing. I'm sure there are others who are saying "duh" to all this, but I'm so excited to find a new show! I love watching series on Netflix because I can just watch episode after episode instead of having to wait a week.

Anyone else watching?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Sanctuary (SiFy)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4109181;
    Synopsis | Sanctuary

I just discovered this show on Netflix and have been plowing through season 1. Apparently, Season 1 was a web series and then SiFy picked it up for seasons 2 and now 3, which is currently airing. I'm sure there are others who are saying "duh" to all this, but I'm so excited to find a new show! I love watching series on Netflix because I can just watch episode after episode instead of having to wait a week.

Anyone else watching?
    Critical, I watched Season 1 on SyFy and really liked it, but not so much for season 2, and I haven't watched season 3 at all. I do agree with you about getting many series shows from Netflix so I can watch them the episodes together. My favorite on SyFy right now is Warehouse 13.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: Sanctuary (SyFy)

I like Warehouse 13 too. Netflix streaming is the best. You just keep clicking "Play Next Episode" and in no time you've watched ten episodes!

I've been making lots of jewelry for all the holiday craft shows coming up, so it's nice to have something to watch while I'm working. I rewatched season 1 of Dollhouse last weekend and I'll probably finish seasons 1 and 2 of Sanctuary this coming weekend It's supposed to pour rain, so it's perfect weather for it

I find it interesting that so much of this show is shot in front of green screen - almost all of it, apparently. The digital effects people do a good job because, most of the time, it's not really obvious.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I like the show. I missed Season 1 though.

I think season 1 and season 2 were the webisodes and believe me you don't miss much the show really didn't start tot get better until the end of last year.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4109875;
    I think season 1 and season 2 were the webisodes and believe me you don't miss much the show really didn't start tot get better until the end of last year.
    I have no idea - I was just going by what it said in the Wiki for the show - 8 original webisodes, followed by a SyFy pick-up of seasons 1 and 2 (13 episodes each) and then the current season (3).

I'm enjoying season one so, if it gets better, I'll be even happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4109875;
    Hmm, if that's so, then Seasons 1 and 2 must also have been shown on TV because I've never watched a webisode and I did see it from the beginning on television. I thought I watched it from its premiere, but I could be wrong.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;4110738;
    Hmm, if that's so, then Seasons 1 and 2 must also have been shown on TV because I've never watched a webisode and I did see it from the beginning on television. I thought I watched it from its premiere, but I could be wrong.
    No, you aren't wrong. Seasons 1 and 2 (and now 3) were made for TV. The "first" season was 8 webisodes that were so successful that SyFy picked up the series. I don't think the original webisodes have been shown on TV. I'd love to see them!

The way I understand it was the webisodes were so successful they were then shown on TV as season 1 and part of season 2. But I'm not going to nitpick. I just find it interesting how the upper ups in the SyFy offices give shows like Sanctuary a chance to grow yet kill off Farscape and Caprica.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

All I know is what I read about it online, since I hadn't seen the show until a week ago. This is what I found on wiki about it:
    Unlike traditional TV series, the primary distribution channel for Sanctuary was originally the Internet. Episodes were sold directly to viewers on the official website. The web episodes or "webisodes", are about 15–20 minutes in duration and were released bi-weekly. The success of the webisodes led the Syfy Channel to commission a 13-episode season for 2008.[2] The first four webisodes were rewritten and reshot as a two-hour premiere episode, "Sanctuary for All".[14] After the deal with the SciFi channel, the webisodes were moved to the Sci Fi network on Hulu.com.
    Sanctuary (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, it's a bit of both. The original webisodes weren't shown, but the basic bones of the first four made up the first two hours of season 1. The original webisodes may have been on Hulu at one time, but they're gone now since Hulu is generally restricted to showing the latest 5 episodes. I'm sure they're available somewhere online.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that the show will keep going 'cause, at this point, I'm really enjoying it! I recognized Robin Dunne (Will) right away, but couldn't figure out where I'd seen him. His imdb lists a bunch of Canadian productions, none of which I've seen. Then I scrolled down and saw Dawson's Creek. I couldn't tell you anything about his character, but that has to be where I know him from, much to my embarrassment!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast