+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 461
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Jeopardy!

  1. #451
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,204

    Re: Jeopardy!

    Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I don't mean to brag (well, maybe a "little"), but I was on Jeopardy in the late 1980s. I came in second (lost to someone who went on to the Tournament of Champions), but I DID get Final Jeopardy right!!!!
    What was your airdate? I'd love to look it up.

    Was Maggie Speaks (love her) your contestant coordinator?
    I got Final Jeop right, too, but only came in third. Not complaining, as my consolation prize was a luxurious trip to Maui.

    The big winner on my airdate? The guy who practised the buzzer way more than potential clues.

    I'm curious to read your experience!
    Last edited by Ellen; 06-07-2014 at 12:58 AM.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  2. #452
    Magical Elf MFWalkoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,864

    Re: Jeopardy!

    I've taken the Online Test but so far haven't heard back. Oh well.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

  3. #453
    8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,764

    Re: Jeopardy!

    I think it was in 1986, but I don't remember the exact air date. The guy who beat me was an oncologist from Palm Springs. Heck of a nice guy. The program before ours, one of the contestants (a young man from Baltimore) actually passed out right at the end of Double Jeopardy (nerves and dehydration), and they had to delay the taping of Final Jeopardy for about 15 minutes. Because it was recorded as part of the show, Alex alluded to it after the commercial break and before Final Jeopardy. If you're going to pass out on a game show, it's always good to have a physician as one of your competitors.

    I won a washer and dryer and two gold watches from Jules Jergensen, as well as some lovely parting gifts. It was the experience of a lifetime. I don't remember who our contestant coordinator was, but I didn't like her very much.
    Ellen likes this.

  4. #454
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,204

    Re: Jeopardy!

    Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I think it was in 1986, but I don't remember the exact air date. The guy who beat me was an oncologist from Palm Springs. Heck of a nice guy. The program before ours, one of the contestants (a young man from Baltimore) actually passed out right at the end of Double Jeopardy (nerves and dehydration), and they had to delay the taping of Final Jeopardy for about 15 minutes. Because it was recorded as part of the show, Alex alluded to it after the commercial break and before Final Jeopardy. If you're going to pass out on a game show, it's always good to have a physician as one of your competitors.
    Wow -- luckily, our only delay on my taping day had to do with some sort of technical problem with the board. The contestants were kept on the set, but had to turn their backs to the board. It only took a few minutes; during that time the contestant staff touched up the contestants' makeup and had them drink some water. The staff was good about keeping us hydrated. Whenever there was a commercial break, or any sort of break in the action, they were right there with bottled water.

    My fellow contestants were all really nice people, and the spirit of encouragement with friendly competition was all part of making it a great experience.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  5. #455
    8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,764

    Re: Jeopardy!

    They probably started the bottled water thing after our guy fainted. LOL.

    The high spot of my experience was during the personal interviews when Alex Trebek said to me - in front of the whole world - "I LOVE your sense of humor!"
    Ellen likes this.

  6. #456
    Forum Assistant Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    20,770

    Re: Jeopardy!

    Oh, this is funny...I got the question to today's final - Malta - as a byproduct of watching HGTV House Hunters International.

    The answer was the UN member nation in the Mediterranean that has English as the official language. It's an island and I remember a show where they said how the English liked to have second homes there because there isn't a language barrier. Hee!
    Ellen and MFWalkoff like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  7. #457
    Magical Elf MFWalkoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,864

    Re: Jeopardy!

    Isn't it funny how something seemingly unrelated can trigger your brain in those questions?

    I had no friggin' idea which Mediterranean nation it was.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

  8. #458
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,204

    Re: Jeopardy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Oh, this is funny...I got the question to today's final - Malta - as a byproduct of watching HGTV House Hunters International.

    The answer was the UN member nation in the Mediterranean that has English as the official language. It's an island and I remember a show where they said how the English liked to have second homes there because there isn't a language barrier. Hee!
    And I got that one because a Malta adult-ESL provider won out over our San Diego program in the bidding process. They could boast much cheaper airfares, of course, to our Parisian clients. (Though my former clients have told me that as regards quality of education, Malta doesn't measure up. You get what you pay for...)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  9. #459
    Forum Assistant Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    20,770

    Re: Jeopardy!

    I got another Final right when none of the contestants did. I was juggling between Iraq and Iran, then it clicked - 1979 - the student revolution that took over the Embassy...Iran. The scientist should have won as he almost swept a couple of categories, but bet too much on Final.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  10. #460
    Magical Elf MFWalkoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,864

    Re: Jeopardy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I got another Final right when none of the contestants did. I was juggling between Iraq and Iran, then it clicked - 1979 - the student revolution that took over the Embassy...Iran. The scientist should have won as he almost swept a couple of categories, but bet too much on Final.
    Yup, 1979 instantly rang a bell in my head too, and if it was the end of diplomatic ties, it had to be Iran after the Ayatollah took power. I couldn't believe how far off they all were.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.