+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Jeopardy!

FORT Fan

Re: Jeopardy!

I wouldn't say arguably, I would say definitely that speed on the trigger was the defining trait of Ken Jennings previous domination and the key also to Brad Rutter's success. According to most accounts, the people who make it onto the TV stage on Jeopardy already have great knowledge. Most know the solution to most of the clues, but only one person gets to answer each time. What Ken Jennings says he did is that he would buzz in regardless of the question, based solely on if it was a category he knew because by the time it got to him he could figure it out. By focusing on being faster on the buzzer, he was able to not give his opponents even a chance to score. Essentially, the oters were reduced to only being able to answer when he got things wrong. The only person as fast as him was Brad Rutter, who defeated Jennings.

And this is exactly what Watson is doing to them now. Undoubtedly Ken and Brad know the answers, but Watson is simply ringing in first and freezing them out. Because it is a machine, it probably can time when to ring in more precisely than a human can. There's probably some light or signal that comes on once Alex finishes reading the question that lets people know it's time to buzz in. I'm guess the computer can react in milliseconds to that signal, while a human, for whatever reason, slight distraction, nerves, a cool breeze from the AC, might be slower by a few millisecond. The computer never has to worry about that stuff. That's how it is consistently beating them to the buzzer.

I'll say this about Final Jeopardy though, there are American cities named Toronto. I bet the computer mixed it up with the Canadian city facts.

But we got insight into how Watson bids on daily doubles and final Jeopardy. Watson is all strategic. He bet hard when he was close to open up a lead. Then when he had a lead, he bet small, to protect the lead.

I think the concept of the show is a good one and, according to ratings, it's given Jeopardy some really high ones.
    I just found the last 2 nights, though, to be pretty boring, overall.
    I'm missing the human element.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    On the other hand, I found the show on the boring side.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. While I think the technology is fascinating, I'm not really enjoying seeing the guys get crushed like that. The only thing I find remotely entertaining is the occasional oddball answers that Watson throws out.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

For those who are interested in explanations / theories / whatever on why Watson chose Toronto here are a few links for you...
    1) Techland
    2) IBM's Smarter Planet Blog
    3) Stephen Baker
    Enjoy!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

I think it was without a doubt that Watson was going to win. I was more curious to see who would get second! Ken really stepped it up tonight. He seemed to have beaten Watson to the buzzer more tonight.

I still love Watson's weird wagers for the daily doubles.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Watson <3 Brad Rutter has been defeated.

Teen Tournament starts tomorrow!

I missed last night's show and, based on the first 2 episodes, I didn't bother to tape it.
    Again, I like the concept, but as a show, NO - give me back my regular Jeopardy.
    This felt, to me, like an overly long commercial for IBM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

CCL

I did enjoy Ken's written comment after Final Jeopardy (how he, for one, recognized and welcomed the new computer overlords). I liked the idea in concept but was a bit bored in execution. Better than a celebrity Jeopardy any day however.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I did enjoy Ken's written comment after Final Jeopardy (how he, for one, recognized and welcomed the new computer overlords). I liked the idea in concept but was a bit bored in execution. Better than a celebrity Jeopardy any day however.
    That was classic: "I for one welcome our computer overlords." Ken knows his way around a meme:

I, For One, Welcome Our New X Overlords | Know Your Meme

"Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I took the online tests.
    Allegedly, they can take a year or so - or not at all -before they get back to you.
    Even if you pass the test, it's not guaranteed that they put you on.
    Granted it was ten years ago that I was on Jeopardy, but back then, yes, they could take a year to call you, or not at all. The first year I qualified, they never called. Qualified again a couple years later. Will never forget the evening I was heading out to meet a friend. I was almost out the door when the phone rang, so my husband said I wasn't home. Then I heard him saying, "Uh... you're calling from Jeopardy?" He's not one to try to trick me, so I knew it was the real McCoy...

That would have driven me crazy, trying to play against a computer. Then again, they picked the two people who had done the best on Jeopardy ever, so if anyone was going to have a chance... At least the winnings went to a great cause.

+ Reply to Thread