+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Detroit 1-8-7

Re: Detroit 1-8-7

From what I've read/heard....the film tax credits were put in place a few years ago to bring business into the state, but it didn't bring the amounts they had hoped for.
    If the state is giving a certain percentage in tax credits to the film industry, it needs to make up that revenue somewhere, and the supporting businesses to the film industry never materialized.
    A city near me got into a HUGE financial mess with a proposed film studio, and now that city has had to lay off it's entire fire dept. because they are in deep debt. And that city already has pretty high property taxes for the area.
    It's a mess.....the city of Detroit has been a mess for decades, and the state is falling deeper in debt. Our new governor is trying to find ways to dig us out.
    I loved watching Detroit 187, and it's too bad that they aren't renewing for a second season. The reason is most likely political, and that's a shame. But I would much rather live in a healthy, viable state than watch a great cop show once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by french dip View Post
    I loved watching Detroit 187, and it's too bad that they aren't renewing for a second season. The reason is most likely political, and that's a shame. But I would much rather live in a healthy, viable state than watch a great cop show once a week.
    The Motor City is my birthing town, but I haven't lived there in over 5 decades.

However, my heart is still there, and I must agree with this comment.

I was in Detroit a few years ago, and seeing those great auto factories shut down in the Sterling Heights / Madison Heights area was simply heartbreaking.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Very interesting term "birthing town". Makes you go, ""Hmmmm...." Never heard it before. I'm going to have to think on that one.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Very interesting term "birthing town". Makes you go, ""Hmmmm...." Never heard it before. I'm going to have to think on that one.
    HA HA! I was born there, but thanks to my older brother's allergies and asthma, we had to move a "warmer" climate soon after my birth. Since my mother's brother and his family already lived in Miami, we ended up in Florida...

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie View Post
    Wow, what a mistake on ABCs part. They cancelled a great show. I hope a bunch of people get together and write to them. I'd love for them to reconsider
    Ya know, I said at the beginning of the last season, I was NOT going to watch any more ABC shows because they have cancelled so many that I like. 187 looked so intriguing that I thought I'd give it a try. I loved it! And it got me watching V. So ABC has once again proven that they are NOT worth my time. I get started watching a show--a good show--and they cancel it! 187 is gone and yet drivel like Bachelor, Bachelorette, Funniest Home Videos and Wipeout continue. What a load of crap! So I'm back to boycotting ABC.

(No offense intended to those who like the shows I mentioned. I just don't like them.)

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. -- Spock, Amok Time

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678