+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Hawaii 5-0 remake

FORT Fanatic

Re: Hawaii 5-0 remake

product placement for hawaii five-0 is a funny thing. im from hawaii. lots of local/hawaii restaurants/foods/stuff is always advertised or mentioned in the show. what was funny is that you guys remembered the subway. hell, i didn't notice it at all. seriously. i think i was too busy laughing at the fake chinese/pidgin talk the guys was trying to get while he was talking. the only product placement i remembered was at the end when mcgarrett told danno that he'll get him a "zip-pak" which is from a local restaurant chain here in hawaii called zippy's. and like i said, since i'm a local from hawaii, the only product placement i lookout for are the local stuff. it's really funny seeing tourists looking out for "hawaii 5-0" places. they ask for where this and that is. and i always think that the show is one big advertisement/product placement anyways.
    not my frickin fault. fine, my fault, i always get blamed anyways.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yeah, but it's one thing to throw out a one liner, get a zip pack (what is that, anyway?) that also provides local color, and another to do at least a 30 second, maybe 60 second Subway commercial, with a script that's right out of their regular commercials.

FORT Fanatic

well. lets just say some of the local products that was advertised throughout the show past seasons and this season was not one liners. there was the liliha bakery cream puffs that lasted almost a minute where danno was raving about it. mentioned the chicken from max's when danno was in the hospital recovering one time. they mentioned the leonard's malasada's one episode. mentioned loco moco couple times. and a lot more. all lasted 30 sec or longer. a zip pack is a bento from zippy's restaurant. it consists of spam, fish, fried chicken, teriyaki beef over a bed of rice sprinkled with furikake seasoning.

you guys noticed the subway because it's a national product. like i said. i didn't even notice it but noticed the local products. maybe subway provided show/crew some freebies while filming one day and the show decided to put the product in. i know for a fact that liliha bakery cream puffs was either donated by the bakeshop to the crew or someone bought them for the crew. non-local cast and crew members loved it and show decided to put it in.
    not my frickin fault. fine, my fault, i always get blamed anyways.

Product placement really doesn't bother me too much. If the story is good, I rarely even notice it -- sorry sponsors, but it's lost on me. If the story isn't good, I don't watch anyway.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I for one had to laugh at it.. it was comical and they did it so stright faced.. and honeslty.. i hate when they make names up for products we can clearly see are national brands. So in a way, I guess its lost on me as well. Im not going to go out and get 5 five dollar foot longs after watching it. I just giggle and move past it.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I agree FireWoman. I'm not inspired or turned-off by the use of well-known products. I will say I did find it a bit odd that they not only showed the food, but went to lengths to mention it in the script. If a Subway sponsorship is what keeps Alex O'Loughlin on air, I am all for it!!!
    french dip likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Amen sister! lol. He is sooo yummy to look at. Now if i could run out and buy 5 of him at Subway I'd be all for that!
    Little Sew&Sew and french dip like this.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I'm a little biased since all four of my kids work for Subway...one is the general manager for a local franchise and the other 3 work for her!
    Anyway, having said that, I did find the Subway "mini-commercial" a bit odd. I kept looking at how his sandwich was wrapped, which was not the company standard way of wrapping a sandwich.
    But like previous posters said...if that's what it takes to keep Alex O'Laughlin on my tv.....who cares!
    (PS- Being from the Motor City, I LOVE that they drive Chevys!)
    FireWoman and Little Sew&Sew like this.

I just watched last night;s episode online and thoroughly enjoyed seeing James and Scott Caan working together. They look so much alike and their interaction really worked for me. Since James' character lives on the island, I hope they will use him as a recurring character,
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I enjoyed it too. Loved the scene at the end with the "really good piece of pizza". Love the NY attitude!
    march likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread