+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Hawaii 5-0 remake

Re: Hawaii 5-0 remake

Thanks Florimel! It's like listening to certain songs and making up what you think they are saying!
    Yup, with donuts!!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Actallly, it's "Allez cuisine," which roughly mean, "Go, cook!" or "Go kitchen"
    Well, a la cuisine! would mean "to the kitchen!" .. I've never seen the show so just curious whether you have really good ears or just really know French? The two phrases sound pretty similar...I would have thought it would have been Allez a la cuisine...let's go to the kitchen...but maybe that's not slangy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I agree about Red John. Enough is more than sufficient and its way past time to wrap it up.

Kind of disagree about Wo Fat though because I was a fan of the original series. Wo Fat was an iconic figure, just like McGarrett, Chen, and Dano, even Kono, so it's good to see the lore intact for me..
    I did not know that! When it first started, it came on after my bedtime.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Well, a la cuisine! would mean "to the kitchen!" .. I've never seen the show so just curious whether you have really good ears or just really know French? The two phrases sound pretty similar...I would have thought it would have been Allez a la cuisine...let's go to the kitchen...but maybe that's not slangy enough.
    I do know some French, but the reason I know this was because when the original Japanese version was on and the Chairman said it, I wasn't sure what I was hearing. So, I looked up the show and found that answer and as I tried to listen more closely, it did sound more like "allez" than "a la". I found it on a few sites. Here's an except from one of the wikipedia pages I found.

The English name Iron Chef comes from the show itself: Kaga would use this translation of the Japanese title when summoning his chefs at the beginning of the battle. Kaga theatrically announced the start of each battle with Allez cuisine.[1] This expression translates loosely from the French as "go cook." Iron Chef - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I always thought "a la" meant "with" (like "apple pie a la mode").

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    la means in manner of, or style of.. and heck, mode means Fashion. Allez means come on or you go. As in most languages, its all in how you use it lol
    Last edited by FireWoman; 05-26-2012 at 01:07 AM.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

"" is a preposition meaning "at" or "to" but can be translated in a number of ways in context in idiomatic expressions.
    "La" is one of the words for "the," used to modify feminine singular nouns.
    "Allez" is the present-tense second-person plural/second-person formal [vous] form of "aller" (to go).
    "Cuisine" is a noun meaning "kitchen" or "style of cooking"; "cuisiner" is a verb meaning "to cook."

I'm fairly certain that no French person ever says "allez cuisine." But, yeah, whenever I see Wo Fat, I expect to hear "allez cuisine" or any number of the corny lines that the ICA writers script for him mainly because Dacascos uses the same manner of speaking for both characters. I enjoy watching him; he fits with the show's overall ambience.
    Last edited by Ellen; 05-26-2012 at 03:33 AM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I guess at some point it was very "stylish" to serve ice cream with a dessert, hence the expression. Probably back in the day when you had to handcrank your ice cream and it wasn't so easy to get.
    The French word for ice cream is completely different. I wonder what you would get in France these days if you ordered a dessert a la mode?

But back to the show, for once it didn't conflict with something else tonight and of course, my luck, it was one of the few episodes I've seen.

I guess at some point it was very "stylish" to serve ice cream with a dessert, hence the expression. Probably back in the day when you had to handcrank your ice cream and it wasn't so easy to get.
    The French word for ice cream is completely different. I wonder what you would get in France these days if you ordered a dessert a la mode?
    I'll have to ask my clients/students this week. Maybe a pastry stamped with an Yves St. Laurent or Louis Vuitton logo?

But back to the show, for once it didn't conflict with something else tonight and of course, my luck, it was one of the few episodes I've seen.
    I was doing lesson prep, so I'll have to check the DVR for a 5-0 fix before bed!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

New episodes begin on Monday!
    bee stung lips likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread