+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 116

Thread: The Event

  1. #1
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,113

    The Event

    Anyone watch this tonight? Touted as the new LOST in the sense of having a complicated twisty plot... Won't try to dissect it until tomorrow until the West Coast has a chance to weigh in.

  2. #2
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    17

    Re: The Event

    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4065423;
    Anyone watch this tonight? Touted as the new LOST in the sense of having a complicated twisty plot... Won't try to dissect it until tomorrow until the West Coast has a chance to weigh in.
    Lost started out simple and grew more complex. This was complex from the first 10 minutes on.

  3. #3
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,113

    Re: The Event

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBooper;4065426;
    Lost started out simple and grew more complex. This was complex from the first 10 minutes on.
    I guess they think we've been trained by LOST!

  4. #4
    Retired! hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    in a good place
    Posts
    27,046

    Re: The Event

    Just so you know, you don't have to wait to discuss it until after it airs on the West coast. We don't do spoiler protection for shows we're not recapping/covering.

    I'm watching it now, and finding it a little too much like LOST. An island, a plane, flashbacks, overdone suspense music - all too familiar.

    Edit: But woo woo, the last fifteen minutes made up for all that. No one told me there was going to be a wormhole!
    Last edited by hepcat; 09-21-2010 at 01:42 AM.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

  5. #5
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,998

    Re: The Event

    I liked it. It's not Lost, nothing every will be, but it's got a very good cast, an interesting premise, and I plan to watch. It's repeating on Saturday night, and I'll probably watch again to pick up on anything I missed.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

  6. #6
    Cy Young 2010 Mariner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Waiting for Spring
    Posts
    16,924

    Re: The Event

    I wasn't going to watch the next episode but the last part got me sucked in. I didn't recognize the girlfriend's father as the pilot at first. I could have done with a little less of the flashing back and forth and the reshowing of the same scenes. The story had enough going on without having to make sure you were looking up when they flashed up when the following scene was happening. Just show it in a linear fashion. It would have worked just fine and would have been a heck of a lot less confusing while still having plenty of mystery.

    It was really strange to see Laura Innes as someone other than Carrie from ER. Her character in particular intrigued me.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

  7. #7
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,113

    Re: The Event

    Right, I didn't recognize the pilot as her dad at first either... I'd forgotten his name. I thought the parents were just there to show that the hero was on the verge of proposing so I didn't pay much attention to them. I hope they only kidnapped the littel sister and didn't kill her.

    When his girlfriend disappeared and the room wasn't his any more it reminded me of an old short story I read back in high school.... Famous but I forget the name of course. Set in Paris I think...the guy goes out, when he comes back his wife is gone, the room looks different and everyone says he is crazy he was never in the hotel. Turns out she had the plague or influenza and had died and they were covering up to prevent a tourist panic or something.

    Anyway, so far we haven't seen how the hero finds out about the plane...presumably he didn't get away from the bad guys.

    Who was the goodlooking Asian guy trying to prevent the take off...what's he been in before...seemed vaguely familiar.

    It's going to be a while before I can think of the lead scientist as anyone but Carrie!

    Anyone else think the hero looks way better without the facial hair? Yes, he has a young face, so did his dad, but I really don't think that scraggy beard and mustache help at all.

  8. #8
    Cy Young 2010 Mariner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Waiting for Spring
    Posts
    16,924

    Re: The Event

    Ian Anthony Dale (who is the actor I think you are referring to) had minor roles in The Hangover and The Bucket List. I don't think he's been in much else.

    I'm having as much trouble with Jason Ritter as I am with Laura Innes. He's the oldest brother from Joan of Arcadia which is one of my favorite shows ever. Then there is Blair Underwood. And, the evil CIA guy whose name I don't know but who I associate only with evil characters to begin with.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

  9. #9
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,113

    Re: The Event

    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;4065992;
    Ian Anthony Dale (who is the actor I think you are referring to) had minor roles in The Hangover and The Bucket List. I don't think he's been in much else.

    I'm having as much trouble with Jason Ritter as I am with Laura Innes. He's the oldest brother from Joan of Arcadia which is one of my favorite shows ever. Then there is Blair Underwood. And, the evil CIA guy whose name I don't know but who I associate only with evil characters to begin with.
    Yeah, Blair Underwood as the Hispanic President... Yes, I know Hispanics come in all colors, but the name Blair Underwood is so totally non-Hispanic it's a bit of a leap for me, even if they did have him say something in Spanish to his kid at the birthday party. I wonder if our Spanish speakers can comment on his accent...

    I saw The Hangover, that must be why he looked familiar. A real hottie. I looked him up on imdb now that I had his name...he's Japanese, French and English. He was also in that Panty sniffer episode of CSI (there's a weirdness I'll never forget!), and in Surface, and even in Angel as "drugged vamp #3"!
    Last edited by PWS; 09-21-2010 at 06:06 PM.

  10. #10
    All Summer-y Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    19,243

    Re: The Event

    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;4065907;
    I wasn't going to watch the next episode but the last part got me sucked in. I didn't recognize the girlfriend's father as the pilot at first. I could have done with a little less of the flashing back and forth and the reshowing of the same scenes. The story had enough going on without having to make sure you were looking up when they flashed up when the following scene was happening. Just show it in a linear fashion. It would have worked just fine and would have been a heck of a lot less confusing while still having plenty of mystery.

    It was really strange to see Laura Innes as someone other than Carrie from ER. Her character in particular intrigued me.
    That was her father? This episode was a big ??? for me. I know John Ritter is an ongoing character, so the plane survives somehow. And who are the prisoners held in Alaska, though I must say I, too, am happy to see Laura Innes in what appears to be a leading role.

    I agree that the back and forth time line confused the heck out of me. Why was the mother killed, one daughter kidnapped and the other disappeared? Who does the guy who was meeting with Innes and chasing the plane work for?

    Did anyone else think the "other" couple on the cruise were just plain creepy?

    There was enough of a "surprise" at the end that a linear time-line would have worked just fine.

    I think I'll have to re-watch just to get the characters straight if not the beginnings of a plot.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.