+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Event

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: The Event

Here's what I saw...I had just a terrible picture and no captioning so I'm sure I missed stuff...

Jason’s and his fiancee’s story:
    Plane crash lands in desert, everyone seems to get out despite fire. Flashback to show pilot dad being blackmailed by threats to the daughters to fly the plane (I only saw one daughter, but it was a lousy picture). Black helicopters appear in the desert (sort of a SW American desert) and passengers think they are bringing help. Pilot dad tells Jason Ritter they are not help, to run and get away and that he is the only hope for the daughter(s). So he does. Jason (Sean Walker) wanders in desert, collapses, due to heat and thirst.
    Flashback week earlier on boat. Sick wife urging him to go on snorkel trip as other woman won’t have a partner as her boyfriend can’t go due to broken arm. Sean leaves and boyfriend appears at door. Boyfriend makes pass, and as she tries to get him to leave purser comes to door and then stabs boyfriend, who is either not part of plot or expendable. She runs, they catch her and drug her and knock her out.
    Sean Walker comes to in hospital outside Yuma AZ. He raves about the plane and they say none has been reported crashing, that he has heat stroke. When he tries to report the missing fiancee they say he killed the boyfriend on the cruise ship. Somehow the police guess from little data from the nurse that it is him… The nurse gets all tense, Sean gets up, sees the police coming in. Runs out, nurse tells him he’s wanted for murder. FBI catches him. As they drive him away they pass near the plane crash site, but it’s blocked off for “chemical spill” and they won’t peak over hill to check out his story.
    Flashback to 5 years earlier. Sean first meets fiancee in swimming pool…he can swim well, she’s just learning. He’s a computer science major, gives her points on swimming . I assume the computer science is going to be useful at some point.

President’s and aliens’ viewpoint.
    Pres. escapes in convoy. Flashback to 13 mo before, report to new Pres. about plane crash in 1944, injured survivors not human even though they look like us. Age much more slowly. DNA is slightly less than 1% different than ours (vs. chimp 2% dif.). Laura I. is one of them. The group we called the scientists/prisoners last week. They won’t tell who they are so are being held prisoner.
    Pres. who goes to see Laura I. (Sophia). He says his advisors told him they had an agenda and were evil but he didn’t think so…was he wrong? She says her people saved his life, didn’t try to harm him. He asks where the “others” are. She won’t tell him. But she says her people’s patience is running out. Comes out that he had been going to release them before the plane incident.
    Flackback to 1944 Alaska spotting of the crash site. Sophia stays with injured and sends her lover away with the other able bodied ones to hide so they can save the captured ones later. Didn’t get a good picture of the lover so don’t know if we’ve seen him before.
    Agent Lee (good looking Asian guy who tried to prevent plane take off last week) assigned to investigate aliens, hunt down those who have infiltrated society, after guarding them for years in Alaska. Takes a blood test to get into CIA, but has fake vein so they don’t find out HE’s an alien as well. Or so one assumes.
    Lee meets another senior alien. From their conversation we learn there are two groups of aliens…good (Agent Lee and Sophia) vs. others who killed all the plane’s passengers. The good ones, other than Lee, seem to be the locked up ones…. Or at least the ones who escaped seem to be “bad”. Lee and Sophia clearly had no part in the passenger killing.

Preview…Pres. says that one of the aliens will squeal and then we see one who promises to tell the CIA why they are here and what their agenda is.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Pres. escapes in convoy. Flashback to 13 mo before, report to new Pres. about plane crash in 1944, injured survivors not human even though they look like us. Age much more slowly. DNA is slightly less than 1% different than ours (vs. chimp 2% dif.). Laura I. is one of them. The group we called the scientists/prisoners last week. They won’t tell who they are so are being held prisoner.
    Pres. who goes to see Laura I. (Sophia). He says his advisors told him they had an agenda and were evil but he didn’t think so…was he wrong? She says her people saved his life, didn’t try to harm him. He asks where the “others” are. She won’t tell him. But she says her people’s patience is running out. Comes out that he had been going to release them before the plane incident.
    This is what confused me - the flashback to 13 mo before seems to blend right into the time of the worm hole incident. And without the worm hole incident, why was he being briefed?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I think he'd been briefed when he became Pres., and after visiting Alaska and a lot of to and fro had decided to overrule his advisors and release the aliens as being no danger to anyone...when the plane/wormhole happened. Not sure why the bad guys are attacking the Pres. in that case though.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Okay, I'm a lazy viewer. I still don't like the time jumps. I think I'm giving up.

And all through the last episode I was wondering why if the prisoners/aliens have the resources/ability to pull off something major, why they haven't bothered to escape in the last 60 years?

I was so looking forward to this series. I always enjoy anything that Blair Underwood is in, but after two episodes of The Event, I've called it quits. The multiple flashbacks have gotten to a point where I can't keep track of what's going on, nor do I care anymore. It's too tedious. I watched five years of Lost, without answers or resolve at the end, and am not willing to go this route again. Oh well, it frees up an hour for me each week.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

It seems to me they must be running low on the multiple flashbacks, so maybe you should hang on a week or two more.... We know almost everything that happened to Jason Ritter except how he got on the plane...that might take one more episode to explain...and then the only flashbacks will be about the aliens....

I'm enjoying The Event and I anticipate watching the entire season to better follow the story when this season comes out on DVD, assuming that it is renewed. What Lost did right, however, besides giving me all the answers I needed, was to focus on one character's flashback per episode, giving us a chance to get to know all of them well, while still seeing them as a group
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I just watched the first two episodes On Demand. I'm hooked. I'm with the others... I hated (HATED) the flashbacks... became very confused as to what/when was happening, but all in all, the flashbacks really did clear up alot of "whys" for me and I'm now understanding the different storylines. I have my DVR set to record all episdoes now, so I'm officially hooked. I didnt watch Lost but was a HUGE fan of 24, I'm more of a reality junkie... the only two (new) non-reality shows that I'm hooked on are Mike & Molly and this one. I'll be in it for the long haul.

My biggest fear is I'll get hooked on it and they'll cancel like that other show (name escaping me..... nuclear war, wiped pretty much everyone out except one town... the guy who played in Scream....). In any event... I'm in it for the long run.

(FWIW... I also thought the little girl was a daughter of the fiance.... did they say it was actually her little sister?)

Wow. I really wasn't expecting the RV to crash into the FBI car or whoever that was that came to pick up Sean at the Yuma office to shoot it up. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next week now that the passengers are coming back to life.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

my critiques...

hmm

well, I was watching one of the celeb shows and Jason Ritter said that the writers worked on this for 4 years and plotted out the whole mythology/storyline

that being said i find the editing to be sloppy...the jumping back and forth and subtitles are annoying, I wonder what the storyboard looks like when they are assembling the episode

I'm not to impressed w/ the acting... especially by the the veteran actors, I can't think of a moment where I was like "Damn, thats some good acting" just saying..

anyways

my first question is what is "The Event"? is it the 1944 alien aircraft landing or the jetliner teleporting? or neither?

is it referencing an upcoming event that is going to happen? (maybe what their agenda is?)

speaking of the "aliens", How is it that they can teleport planes but they can't get themselves outa jail?

are they really aliens? was all that Roswell stuff in 1944?
    ---

regarding lastnites episode.
    I figured at some point Shawn and the FBI chick would team up. The shootout was the only part of the episode i really liked. The zombies at the end i seen coming. somebody referenced "are they really dead" earlier in this thread.

i will still watch because i do want to see what happens and maybe these are just the rough begining eps till the story gets really good. I had chose this over watching Lonestar (btw, funny how it got cancelled so quick, when critics were raving about it being the best new fall show..)

+ Reply to Thread