+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Event

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: The Event

Just watched it and it's intriguing but I feel like it's a mix between Flash Forward and Lost. The wormhole and Laura Innes are bringing me back.

IDKW but I didn't realize they were scientists in Alaska. I was thinking aliens in plain sight and then when she said I 'saved' you, I was thinking maybe angels. See what Lost has done to me? I'm always thinking the ultimate in paranormal.

I, too, thought the President was of Cuban descent...

And what was up with the ground shaking as the plane was coming down? I know it couldn't have been because of the plane, so I'm assuming the 'scientists' were behind it so they (or Laura's character--I thought she said "I" saved you) could save the President and, thus, break free of their shackles??

IDK--lots of storylines to tie together. I'm just glad they've said they're going to reveal things as they go along as opposed to Lost where we had to wait for the end.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M;4067179;
    Hispanic? I could've sworn more than once they made reference to him being of Cuban descent.
    Cubans aren't Hispanic? It's a generic term, no? Encompassing many groups?
    Yes, I think it was implied or said he was Cuban...some remark about his parents escaping Cuba or something... I don't recall.

And yes, you are right, there were labs in Alaska, so the scientist/prisoners either are or were working on something.

And yes, someone was "hiding in plain sight"... I took it to be Jason Ritter also, at first, because of the way it was cut, but now am not sure to whom that remark referred.

I can see this might be a better show to watch on tape! I think it is replaying again on Sat.

I'm always confused with shows like this, even though I love them. So, PWS, please continue to analyze it so that I will know what the heck is going on! And, yes, I agree that Hispanic could encompass many groups who speak Spanish. Someone asked earlier if Underwood's Spanish was credible. Even though I speak it fluently, I didn't really notice. If I get a chance to see this episode again, I will pay attention and comment.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

cubans are Hispanic, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M;4067179;
    Hispanic? I could've sworn more than once they made reference to him being of Cuban descent.

Who is John Galt?

Cubans are Hispanic - as are the Spanish, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Central Americans, and South Americans, as well as Portugese (the Iberian peninsula encompasses both Spain and Portugal which was one country at one time and share a similar culture). I think Hispanic just means culture or ethnicity influenced by Spain.

I love The Event. It reminded me of Flash Forward and Lost also, with a little Fringe possibly thrown in. It got a little confusing going back and forth in time, but it was pretty clearly delineated so I could follow it well.

FORT Fanatic

I am loving that the dad is Luke from Gilmore Girls! If this is a worm hole things time travel thing perhaps an experiment of sorts that they want to prove to the government perhaps they kidnapped the daughter and killed the wife to convince the dad to fly the plane into the space. Perhaps he will be able to go back in time and save them all or something??
    I will watch more it is a bit like a cross between lost and flash forward.

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;4067209;
    And what was up with the ground shaking as the plane was coming down? I know it couldn't have been because of the plane, so I'm assuming the 'scientists' were behind it so they (or Laura's character--I thought she said "I" saved you) could save the President and, thus, break free of their shackles??
    I was also wondering what was up with that? The plane was too far away for it to cause all that shaking. I also used to live next to LAX & there was never any shaking like that. I think the shaking was caused by the wormhole. But then I wondered with all that, why are the people still cleaning up from the party???
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;4065907;
    It was really strange to see Laura Innes as someone other than Carrie from ER. Her character in particular intrigued me.
    I agree. It was weird to see her walk without the limp or the cane. It also was strange to watch Luke from Gilmore Girls try and crash a plane into the president. it is so out of character for him.

Originally I wasn't going to watch again, but the last 15 minutes sucked me in as well.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Sorry but regardless of what WikiPedia states, when you live in Southern California, Hispanics and Cubans are vastly different. When I lived in NYC, Puerto Ricans and Hispanics and Cubans were also vastly different. But whatever, it's a TV show.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I think Hispanic/Latino are somewhat "contested" terms...for example, I've heard it argued that Hispanic doesn't include Brazilians because Hispanic means Spanish related and Portugal is not Spain. Both are meant to be generic terms (and the govt. uses them that way), but if most of the Hispanics in your area are from one country I think that you tend to think of the term as equaling that country.... so if you mostly have Mexican-Americans around you that would equate to Hispanic for you, and other groups you became aware of later would maybe get their own name.
    And depending on where you come from in Latin America/Carib and other former colonies of Spain /Portugal. "Hispanics" would look very different...anything from black to white to Mayan to Asian to in between, and all with very different cultures.
    My Sig. Other is counted at our workplace as Hispanic because of Chilean birth, disregarding a very German last name and ethnic heritage (and moving here at age 7 so only very faint memories of Spanish which was never spoken at home). The whole thing is nuts sometimes. One of my colleagues was a blue eyed blonde Hispanic....but her full sister was very dark--when they were growing up in Latin America they played in completely different groups on the playground and were treated very differently by others.
    But back to The Event....looking forward to the next episode, where apparently we find out what happened to people on the plane who went through the "wormhole" or whatever that heat ripple on my screen was meant to indicate.

+ Reply to Thread