+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Event

Re: The Event

I'm pretty sure the other couple were there to distract Jason Ritter by taking him out snorkeling all day while his girlfriend was abducted or whatever. The woman was way over the top with the flirting.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4066239;
    I'm pretty sure the other couple were there to distract Jason Ritter by taking him out snorkeling all day while his girlfriend was abducted or whatever. The woman was way over the top with the flirting.
    I agree...in fact I think the whole drowning thing was staged, with the "broken" arm as an excuse. I'm going to try to write out what I think was happening...sequentially...and then maybe others can add/subtract?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

The big picture...
    There is a group of scientists being held prisoner in Alaska (headed by Laure I.) because they won't tell the gov't. something...one assumes about something they've discovered. It's not clear if they are still working on it or just being held prisoner.
    Not eveyrone in the govt. knows about the prison...e.g., the Pres. didn't know and is outraged when he finds out. This (McGuffin) thing the scientists know can used in some bad way presumably, but at the end apparently "they" use it to avoid the plane crashing into the Pres.'s kid's birthday party, where Laura I. also is. Laura I. says. "they" saved us. That's the wormhole effect where the plane disappears. Not clear who "they" is...the dad and Jason (see below)? The other scientists?

The smaller picture...
    Some people kidnap Jason Ritter's fiancee (and maybe her 7 year old sister as well) in order to force the fiancee's dad (a pilot?) to crash the plane into the Presidential party to get her (them) back. Jason R. has learned enough to not trust the bad guys' word that they will get the girl(s) back and tries to stop the dad by hijacking the plane to get into the pilot's compartment. Also trying to stop the plane is the good looking Asian guy, who I think was also at the Alaskan prison (as a guard or outsider, not a prisoner).
    There is a fairly narrow time span between the kidnapping and the hijacking--we don't know yet what RItter's character went through between those two events, but he learned something clearly--like that the dad was going to crash the plane, a la 9/11 and the Pentagon.

Points I don't understand (other than the obvious above): if they are doing this very sneaky kidnapping of the fiancee, tricking Jason R., making it seem as if they were never on the cruise, etc., then why the bloody killing of the fiancee's mom during the other kidnapping....and apparently leaving her body and blood in the living room for anyone to find? In fact why involve Jason R. and the fiancee at all? Why not just kidnap the little girl?

OK, I'm sure I'm about to time out here, so I'll post now.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I too would have preferred a linear timeline. I don't want to work so hard to watch a show. This show seems too contrived whereas the Lost plots seemed effortless during the first few seasons.

Thanks for your summary, PWS.

First I apologize to JASON Ritter. Second, PWS, thank you for trying to figure out the pilot show, but I'm still confused...during the show I wondered if the "prisoners" were actually aliens. Anyway, when the President arrived in Alaska one of the areas he was to examine was the Labs. The Eurasian guy seems to be aligned with Laura and the prisoners because he tried to convince her that "they" could work with the new President. There seems to be some sort of latitude between "them" and an agency (?) on the outside.

I can see where a show of violence - killing his wife - and the kidnap of his daughters would put enough strain on the Dad that he could be coerced into crashing the jet into the party. The creepy duo (with good computer skills and accomplices) could very well make Jason a non-entity on the cruise ship.

At this time I see three separate groups at work. The government, the prisoners and a cartel (perhaps) who want what the prisoners have built. That wormhole was amazing, wasn't it? I laughed, though, when it was sending pulses through the air and everyone was running except the wait staff. They just continued to clean the tables. HUH?

I still would like to see it without the flashbacks and flashforwards.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

elk

All I can really add at this time is that I'm intrigued and plan to keep watching. Yesterday, I saw the actress that plays Jason Ritter's wife being interviewed on Attack of the Show - and she was absolutely charming!

I'm not at the point where I really want to try and unravel anything yet but I am one episode short of being hooked and am trying to convince Mr. Elk to watch it.

I am really interested in what my fellow FORTers are thinking about it!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

i watched it. i enjoyed it. i am glad i did bc i was a bit skeptical after the travesty that was persons unknown, lol.

Thanks for the excellent summary, PWS. I am intrigued by the possibilities of this show. I really do like the non-linear concepts; they keey my attention focused, and I love solving puzzles. The Event will stay on my must watch list for now.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Thanks PWS for the great summary. However, in the prison in Alaska, wasn't it stated something along the lines 'he had been hiding in plain sight in LA for 5 years?' Are they talking about Jason Ritter's character and if so, then he knows what is going on.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4066031;
    Yeah, Blair Underwood as the Hispanic President... Yes, I know Hispanics come in all colors, but the name Blair Underwood is so totally non-Hispanic it's a bit of a leap for me, even if they did have him say something in Spanish to his kid at the birthday party. I wonder if our Spanish speakers can comment on his accent...
    {snip}

Hispanic? I could've sworn more than once they made reference to him being of Cuban descent.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast