+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4094343;
    Last night I watched the episode from last Sunday. Thought it was sad the way Al Capone talked to and about his little boy. Why would he prefer that people think his son is stupid instead of saying he's deaf? I didn't get that. First I thought he didn't realize his son was deaf until Jimmy discovered it (not likely), but when he came to Jimmy's room later in the episode, he said (I think) that the deafness was something "in the blood" ... hereditary deafness? Maybe I missed something here.

Also, what was the deal in the previous episode with Jimmy's mother trying to convince his son's mother to get lost so she could raise the boy? Did she have an ulterior motive? I can't quite understand that character and what she's up to, if anything other than being a showgirl and hooker. Were she and Nucky involved? He seems to have a soft spot for her.
    I thought the scene where Al describes playing music and singing to his son very moving, too. His little boy put his to his father's throat, to "feel" the music. There's no question that he knows the boy is deaf, that he loves him, and that his handicap is embarrassing. Better to be stupid than deaf? Maybe in those times, it was. There are so many more stupid people than deaf people.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4094601;
    Phooey, I didn't realize there was a mini-marathon today. I think I keep missing details here and there, and the episodes are so darn good it's worth watching again. I do hope before it's over, they will have explained Nucky's relationship with Jimmy's mother and Jimmy himself (son? nephew? half-brother?), and also about the preemie hospital (maybe he and his wife had a preemie who died ... weird location for it on the boardwalk, too), as well as Jimmy's gf's relationship with the photographer. Nucky is such an interesting character ... love the nuances and layers, similar in that respect to the way Tony Soprano was written, but not a similar character. I love good writing on a TV show. Wonderful acting, too -- Emmys for everyone!
    When I was little (5 or 6 years old), my family spent a summer in Cape May, NJ. I remember visiting the boardwalk in A.C. It was a very memorable experience, in many ways. There were amusements, vendors hawking, exhibitions, food... a delightful kind of sensory overload. I specifically remember seeing an exhibition of a little boy in an iron long on A.C.'s boardwalk. There was an angled mirror on this contraption so that the patient could see who was visiting him. I was short enough to make eye contact with him, and I never forgot it. My aunt explained to me that hospitals presented these exhibitions and rented boardwalk shops/space for fundriasing. So, the boardwalk premie ward does not seem strange to me. I think that you are right, a connection with Nucky will be fleshed out. He contributes to the cause.

So many delicious little details to be revealed! I am thinking Jimmy's dad is Nucy or even Nucky's father, too! I really love this series!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I agree that Nucky is Jimmy's dad, just from the way that Jimmy's mother was talking to Nuck about Jimmy. It didn't sound brotherly. Nucky talked to Jimmy, as a little boy, when they were at a parade and Jimmy was with "his father"; they discussed what it took to be president. Jillian and Nucky talked about Jimmy and Princeton in a rather parental fashion. Siblings talk differently about each other, I think.

Why did Nucky have to get Jimmy out of town. other than the obvious?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4094621;
    I agree that Nucky is Jimmy's dad, just from the way that Jimmy's mother was talking to Nuck about Jimmy. It didn't sound brotherly. Nucky talked to Jimmy, as a little boy, when they were at a parade and Jimmy was with "his father"; they discussed what it took to be president. Jillian and Nucky talked about Jimmy and Princeton in a rather parental fashion. Siblings talk differently about each other, I think.

Why did Nucky have to get Jimmy out of town. other than the obvious?
    Sorry, Just for the sake of argument I have to stay with my, my choice, of Jimmy being a half brother! I think that him being Nucky's son is too obvious. I know that, in a few more episodes, I may have to hear "I told you so" from ALL of you BUT...... like I've said before........ Nucky's brother, the cop, asked Nucky if he would have been so good to him if it was him that caused the problems. He wouldn't have compared himself to a son (nephew) only another brother. I've also thought that Jimmy could be Dabney Coleman's (sorry forgot his character's name) son or possibly some kind of nephew. Is Jimmy's mother, possibly, a disowned sister of Nucky's? I don't know, I just think that it's going to be something that's not expected. They played a little trick on us when we thought,for a minute, that Jimmy's mom was a girlfriend. I just think that they have a few more tricks up their sleeves. I , at least, hope that they can out smart us! It's more fun that way!

A collection of excellent points, for sure! The scene where Nuck's brother asked if he'd be treated as well if it were him....I understand your inference, but I also read that as him being not happy with an oiutsider being worried over moreso than he is, and that he may not know that Jimmy is Nucky's son.

Gotta admit, they are working us over with this show! They have good storylines that, obviously keep us guessing. I love a show that I care about enough to watch multiple times before the next episode. Not particularly simplistic, is it?

In the long run, we all may be bowing down to YOU!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I was watching the last episode, again, last night. I was wondering how Nucky's girlfriend figured out that he had hooked up with Margaret. Was it the dance at the party? I don't remember any scene where we saw ,that she realized, that something was up. I hope that we get to see Nucky give her the boot but then again....... maybe he's going to keep both women!
    Last edited by tvaholic; 10-31-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Just a funny thought! Nucky could never, ever, ever father a son as cute as Jimmy! If it turns out that Jimmy is his son, then casting picked the wrong person!

Genes can go back to previous generations, you know!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Steve Buscemi but those "handsome" genes would have to be pretty strong to be able to fight off ALL of the "ugly" genes that SB has!

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4094914;
    I was watching the last episode, again, last night. I was wondering how Nucky's girlfriend figured out that he had hooked up with Margaret. Was it the dance at the party? I don't remember any scene where we saw ,that she realized, that something was up. I hope that we get to see Nucky give her the boot but then again....... maybe he's going to keep both women!
    Lucy has been curious about Margaret, I think, ever since became aware that Nucky sees her during business hours. She walked into his office when he was with Margaret at least once (and I think that Nucky has explained to her who Margaret is?). Then Margaret shows up as employee of the boutique where Lucy shops? And at his birthday party? And Nucky has become disapproving of Lucy's tacky sexual innuendos, and her lack of discretion. She knows something is in the air, and it smells like Margaret.

Her nose is itching and she is curious about Mrs. Schroeder so she insists that Margaret disrobe in front of her to model tacky lingerie. She makes unkind remarks about Margaret's breasts, and Margaret's response was a knowing little smile, and a "he doesn't seem to mind." No name mentioned, but Lucy has put 2 and 2 together in her street smart way. She's a slut. Margaret is not, and she hates her for that.

I think Nucky is going to try to keep them both. He lives with Lucy, so Margaret (at the moment) is his back street babe.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 10-31-2010 at 01:57 PM.

+ Reply to Thread