+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

FORT Fogey

Re: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

At that time, very few women had any way of improving their lives financially other than latching onto a man with money (or being born into a rich family). She saw an opportunity and grabbed it! This is a really good show. From the first episode, I didn't think I'd like it, but I've been recording it, made myself give it another chance (mostly because of the glowing reports here), and am glad I did!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Poppy, you are right about what happened in the show!! I must have been half asleep when I watched it because, after watching it again today, I saw that I pretty much got it all twisted!

Whackjob, with the self-flagellation for his masochistic sexual gratification, freaked me out! He's going to be trouble. Wasn't that his wife's picture that he put face down before he started with his bizarre freakism? Margaret's got trouble with that one. Wonder how long he'll live?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Proshay - yes! That guy is one uber-creepy antagonist. You just know he's going to be a thorn in Margaret's side (not to mention Nucky's).
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I'm confused by what you guys just said. Are you both talking about the same person? I'm not being a wise guy, I was watching the show and (sometimes) my boyfriend asks questions and I miss some things. I thought that Nucky put the picture down. I can't remember the exact scene. Whatever, yes, Margaret won't end up being happy with Nucky. Maybe she'll end up being a crime boss herself and having him whacked! I'm enjoying the ride and will HATE, HATE, HATE the months that I have to go without it! It's almost time for "Big Love"(2011) so there is always something to hold me over!

This scene comes at the very end of the episode when the wierd guy who is the Prohibition Agent for the federal government is about to sexually satisfy himself while staring at Margaret's picture. I can only assume that the picture that he turned facedown was his wife. Prohibition Agent guy is the one that stole her hair ribbon when he showed up at her house to ask questions after her husband died. I guess he didn't want his still alive wife to "see" what he was about to do.

This is why I have to watch these episodes at least twice...if not three times! First, I float through it; next, I have to watch and stop every so often, and possible put on the closed captions to make sure that I don't miss anything.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4093076;
    I'm confused by what you guys just said. Are you both talking about the same person? I'm not being a wise guy, I was watching the show and (sometimes) my boyfriend asks questions and I miss some things. I thought that Nucky put the picture down. I can't remember the exact scene. Whatever, yes, Margaret won't end up being happy with Nucky. Maybe she'll end up being a crime boss herself and having him whacked! I'm enjoying the ride and will HATE, HATE, HATE the months that I have to go without it! It's almost time for "Big Love"(2011) so there is always something to hold me over!
    Agent Nelson Van Alden - the Federal agent who props up a picture of 16 y.o. Margaret and flagellates himself to it - is the creepy/weird antagonist we're talking about.

I'm not sure that this is a spoiler, but if you visit the show's page on IMDB you'll see that Margaret's children survive her on this show, at least in terms of her on screen time. Yikes.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Oh yeah, yeah, now I remember! HE'S CRAZY! Maybe he's why the "bad guys" don't seem so bad! lol On another note wasn't it cute that Nucky's butler (or whatever his title is) seemed so happy to bring kids to the house. It was like he was happy for his boss. I was thinking that the house might be the one that Nucky shared with his wife but then it seemed like it's just a block of "girlfriends".

FORT Fogey

Last night I watched the episode from last Sunday. Thought it was sad the way Al Capone talked to and about his little boy. Why would he prefer that people think his son is stupid instead of saying he's deaf? I didn't get that. First I thought he didn't realize his son was deaf until Jimmy discovered it (not likely), but when he came to Jimmy's room later in the episode, he said (I think) that the deafness was something "in the blood" ... hereditary deafness? Maybe I missed something here.

Also, what was the deal in the previous episode with Jimmy's mother trying to convince his son's mother to get lost so she could raise the boy? Did she have an ulterior motive? I can't quite understand that character and what she's up to, if anything other than being a showgirl and hooker. Were she and Nucky involved? He seems to have a soft spot for her.

Nucky also has some kind of emotional connection to that preemie hospital. That should be interesting to learn about. I am watching the mini-marathon today.

FORT Fogey

Phooey, I didn't realize there was a mini-marathon today. I think I keep missing details here and there, and the episodes are so darn good it's worth watching again. I do hope before it's over, they will have explained Nucky's relationship with Jimmy's mother and Jimmy himself (son? nephew? half-brother?), and also about the preemie hospital (maybe he and his wife had a preemie who died ... weird location for it on the boardwalk, too), as well as Jimmy's gf's relationship with the photographer. Nucky is such an interesting character ... love the nuances and layers, similar in that respect to the way Tony Soprano was written, but not a similar character. I love good writing on a TV show. Wonderful acting, too -- Emmys for everyone!

+ Reply to Thread