+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Re: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;4088166;
    Just got to watch this week's episode last night. Very much enjoyed it, but Nucky's coldness towards Margaret at the beginning seemed odd, especially after the dance last week. When he showed up at her doorstep at the end, I thought to myself that she shouldn't have been so quick to tear up that lingerie. Lucy is going to flip when she finds out (or will she?).

And that poor girl that Jimmy had taken up with. I wonder if he'll try to get revenge?
    The ending made me think.... "How did Steve Buscemi ever end up being a romantic lead"? It totally worked for me! I LOVED IT! I wasn't expecting it at all (at that point) especially after his coldness. Yes, Jimmy will get revenge, once he gets off his opium high!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Nucky and his coldness would have earned him a little more distance from me. I was annoyed at how quickly Margaret got over his strong disses. He would have been crawling and begging before he got close to me. That's the problem with some of us female types. We accept rude behavior from some people way too easily. His lips would have been plastered against that wall, instead of my lips!

And I knew that slashed girl was going to kill herself. Such a tragic figure.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

God I LOVE this show! I hang on every word and am sad when each episode ends! I'm already dreading having to wait a year for the next season! All of the story lines are interesting! I even love watching it again because there is always something that I missed the first time.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Loved Margaret having the last word with Lucy, and Lucy being so dumb she did not at first even get it! I liked Margaret getting her Temperance leader's sanction/OK before setting up housekeeping with Nucky, but was sad to watch the realization dawning that she was living in a little nest of mistresses to powerful men and that she would always come second to his business interests.

My husband and I are loving this show, too, and always watch it more than once. There is always some nuance I miss.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4090150;
    Loved Margaret having the last word with Lucy, and Lucy being so dumb she did not at first even get it! I liked Margaret getting her Temperance leader's sanction/OK before setting up housekeeping with Nucky, but was sad to watch the realization dawning that she was living in a little nest of mistresses to powerful men and that she would always come second to his business interests.

My husband and I are loving this show, too, and always watch it more than once. There is always some nuance I miss.
    LOVED the scene with Lucy! That's one that I can't wait to watch again (had a few distractions). I don't think that Margaret will put up with the agreement. She doesn't seem to have much of a choice but I think that she will make some kind of a move. I'm hoping that she get s more than the arrangement that they made. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm still hoping that she gets more out of this!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I could be (and probably am), but I didn't think that Margaret got approval from the Temperance League leader before she moved into the "concubine quarters". I thought she told her about it after she did it, and the woman then gave her a birth control pamphlet, from which she learned about the Lysol douche (eeeewwww!) I am also in the process of watching the episode again. Margaret is awfully naive to be dealing with a man like Nucky. She seems to be one of these innocents who takes everything at face value, and trusts and believes that people are more like her. I think she's going to be come shockingly "hard", which would be sad, but necessary.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4092040;
    I could be (and probably am), but I didn't think that Margaret got approval from the Temperance League leader before she moved into the "concubine quarters". I thought she told her about it after she did it, and the woman then gave her a birth control pamphlet, from which she learned about the Lysol douche (eeeewwww!) I am also in the process of watching the episode again. Margaret is awfully naive to be dealing with a man like Nucky. She seems to be one of these innocents who takes everything at face value, and trusts and believes that people are more like her. I think she's going to be come shockingly "hard", which would be sad, but necessary.
    I think the visit to the Temperance Leage occurred before the move, but after the affair began. After the visit, see see Margaret in bed with Nucky at her old apartment asking him what her neighbors will think about her moving in with him, and he tells her she'll soon have new neighbors so not to worry. Then she excuses herself and we see her in the bathroom with the Sanger pamphlet "Family Limitation." The move is depicted after she quits her job at the boutique.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I'm still amazed that people thought Lysol was perfectly acceptable to use for "marriage hygiene." Those old ads (you can Google them) make me cringe. Yikes.

I sort of feel for Margaret, she's in way over her head. I think she felt like her white knight was coming to save her...but instead, she got stuck in the stable with the rest of the fillies. So much for the princess fantasy.

And wow - that Van Alden guy has issues. Serious issues.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Funny, I don't think that Margaret is naive at all. I think that that's why Nucky is attracted to her. She's smart! The whole thing with him being cold to her and her asking him if he enjoyed the bread, she knew that he was lying and so she made a move that I thought was a huge mistake! I thought that he was going to get mad and stop helping her (although I knew that they would, eventually, end up together). It didn't make him mad! It turned him on! She, somehow, knew what to do to get him to notice her! To win him over! Now, the question is, can she get him to look at her as more than just his concubine! I think that she can and will (but I've been wrong before). I keep thinking that she MUST remind him of his wife. We don't know why, just yet, but we will. Another way to look at things is....... REALLY? She's attracted to Nucky? Maybe not! He's not good looking AND she knows that he's a bad guy! Maybe she's just after his money! She had an abusive husband and has been very poor. Sure, she has a good heart and seems to be a good person BUT she must have felt that he was attracted to her SO she decided that it was time for her to have an easier life (her kids too). So she's a kept woman! So what! It has to be better that the life that she had! I think that she's playing him like a fiddle whether it's for love or money!

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4092381;
    Funny, I don't think that Margaret is naive at all. I think that that's why Nucky is attracted to her. She's smart! The whole thing with him being cold to her and her asking him if he enjoyed the bread, she knew that he was lying and so she made a move that I thought was a huge mistake! I thought that he was going to get mad and stop helping her (although I knew that they would, eventually, end up together). It didn't make him mad! It turned him on! She, somehow, knew what to do to get him to notice her! To win him over! Now, the question is, can she get him to look at her as more than just his concubine! I think that she can and will (but I've been wrong before). I keep thinking that she MUST remind him of his wife. We don't know why, just yet, but we will. Another way to look at things is....... REALLY? She's attracted to Nucky? Maybe not! He's not good looking AND she knows that he's a bad guy! Maybe she's just after his money! She had an abusive husband and has been very poor. Sure, she has a good heart and seems to be a good person BUT she must have felt that he was attracted to her SO she decided that it was time for her to have an easier life (her kids too). So she's a kept woman! So what! It has to be better that the life that she had! I think that she's playing him like a fiddle whether it's for love or money!
    I think you've struck all the right chords here! Margaret is intelligent and a good person. Good in a way that Lucy is not. Good in a way that Nucky is not. This, plus her beauty, is why Nucky's at risk of falling in love with her. I can't wait to see how this unfolds.

+ Reply to Thread