+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

This episode flew by for me. It felt 10 minutes long, despite the fact there was less "action" than in the pilot. Maybe it's because the relationships and connections were being fleshed out? We get a glimpse into the scope of Nucky's empire ("He lives like a pharoah!") through the revenuer, Van Alden (super straight G-man who steals and sniffs ladies' hair ribbons). We see Nucky exerting his authority over New York, and his callously gambling away the extra (stolen) 3 grand he made Jimmy cough up.

Jimmy's mom must have been 13 when she gave birth to him. What a greeting she gives him: jumping into his arms, wrapping her legs around him, and kissing him full on the mouth. What's that about??? How did this woman manage to send her son to Princeton? And who was her baby daddy?

Jimmy's ruthlessness (so necessary for an aspiring gangster) is emphasized by his coldly stealing back the necklace he gave his mother. Murder is one thing, but stealing from your mom? That necklace seems to have some mystical significance in his life. When he was shopping for it, I assumed it was for his wife. But no, he gave her a bracelet and an electric sweeper. His character is becoming more complex and mysterious.

And Nucky is being recognized as the AC kingpin by the Feds. Things can only get more intersting from here on.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;4071315;
    There's too much good TV on Sundays; I have to time-shift to Mondays. But yeah, ITA...that was Jimmy's MOM?!?! And that's how she greets him?!?!
    I had to do a rewind of that scene. I thought I heard him say "Ma" but the way she hopped on him made me second guess.

I've got four shows I watch on Sunday nights, all on at the same time. Sigh. I'm definitely hooked on this one, though.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4071644;
    This episode flew by for me. It felt 10 minutes long, despite the fact there was less "action" than in the pilot. Maybe it's because the relationships and connections were being fleshed out? We get a glimpse into the scope of Nucky's empire ("He lives like a pharoah!") through the revenuer, Van Alden (super straight G-man who steals and sniffs ladies' hair ribbons). We see Nucky exerting his authority over New York, and his callously gambling away the extra (stolen) 3 grand he made Jimmy cough up.

Jimmy's mom must have been 13 when she gave birth to him. What a greeting she gives him: jumping into his arms, wrapping her legs around him, and kissing him full on the mouth. What's that about??? How did this woman manage to send her son to Princeton? And who was her baby daddy?

Jimmy's ruthlessness (so necessary for an aspiring gangster) is emphasized by his coldly stealing back the necklace he gave his mother. Murder is one thing, but stealing from your mom? That necklace seems to have some mystical significance in his life. When he was shopping for it, I assumed it was for his wife. But no, he gave her a bracelet and an electric sweeper. His character is becoming more complex and mysterious.

And Nucky is being recognized as the AC kingpin by the Feds. Things can only get more intersting from here on.
    The necklace was always going to be for his mom. He bought it for her because it looked just like one that she had to sell "to keep a roof over their heads". The actor that plays Jimmy has played bad guys in a few movies so I still look at him as a bad guy! Well, we know that he's no angel but I want him to be good. BTW, I think that he's so cute! I want him to go back to Princeton but I doubt it that it will ever happen! LOL

I watched this week's episode again and realized who the bloody guy in the woods was. Nucky, in discussing Jimmy's raid, said that 4 men were killed. Jimmy said "five." I don't know how I missed this the first time.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've only had a chance to watch the first episode, which was highly reminescent of The Sopranos, for me. Since I am still a Sopranos junkie, I was able to know which way the story was going by recalling what happened in The Sopranos. Steve Buscemi, who played Tony Soprano's cousin, was pretty much following along in Tony's footsteps in his actions.

I am hoping that they will do the mini-marathons (3 episodes) with this show every 4 weeks or so. I will be watching episode 2 tonight.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm all caught up and I am one happy camper with this show! Can hardly wait for tonight!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4075822;
    I'm all caught up and I am one happy camper with this show! Can hardly wait for tonight!
    Me Too!!!!!! I sit and listen to every word! My boyfriend is a "talker", meaning that he asks questions and makes comments during ALL TV shows. I need to watch it a second time just to make sure that I got everything! I have to say that even HE keeps (pretty much) quiet while it's on (probably because he knows that I'll bite his head off if he speaks). The story line is great and the art direction is FANTASTIC! I LOVE it! I'm sold! It's my favorite new show!

The TV Guide reports that this is another solid hit for HBO.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Is anyone else wondering if Nucky is Jimmy's father?

Poppy Fields: I definitely think that Nucky is Jimmy's father. It will be fun to watch this play out. This show has ended my Soprano's withdrawal in every possible way. I am also wondering if something will develop between Nucky and the widow for whom he found a job....... She looks a lot like his late wife.

+ Reply to Thread