+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

If I recall correctly, the Commordore did leave a will... and Jimmy ripped it up in the presence of Gillian and the Commodore's lawyer. This made him the heir (to the intestate Commodore) with his son, Tommy, the next in line. Zero for GIllian.

My clear impression was that Richard knew - before Jimmy went to the fatal meeting with Nucky - that it would mean Jimmy's death. Richard warned him that no matter how successfully Jimmy could right the wrongs (and he did!), Nucky could never forgive him. Jimmy agreed. Richard also knew that Jimmy gave Tommy his dog tags before going to meet Nucky and the import of that was not lost on Richard.And Jimmy declined Richard's offer to accompany him to the fatal meeting, indicating that he knew the outcome in advance.

Declaring Jimmy dead under the circumstances would entail Gillian waiting for a statutory length of time to pass - in most cases 7 years. She could not wait that long, so she needed the body.

What strikes me as evident now is that Gillian can no longer pretend to be Tommy's mother, which is something she seems to need.

Re: Bobby Cavanaugh, I totally agree. He's annoying and I can't wait for him to be gone.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Eh, it's 5 years here and in NJ, but I was *hoping* that the research people didn't put false words into Gillian's lawyer's mouth. But it wouldn't be the first time.

But OMG, my instincts (and a lot of other viewers') about the "miscarriage" was right! It's so detailed, but I'm loving the undertaking with the AG and we finally saw the boardwalk explosion HBO warned local residents not to take as a terrorist attack. Sad to think that the set may be destroyed otherwise (I haven't seen anything about it, but it was in Sandy's path).

Van Alden. I just don't know what to say about him anymore. You could tell he was fed up with those clowns he had for coworkers, but damn! A hot iron to the face was a bit much.

And Gillian was pretty bold in setting up Nucky like that. She's a devious thing herself, but those are some big dogs she's playing with.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

YIKES!

Broadwalk is getting more and more violent with every issue.

Last night especially. Ugh.

DID ANYONE WATCH.

Rosetti UGH and Owen, OMG.
    KAREN

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I knew there was no way Margaret and Owen would make an escape--that'd be too easy for them. Rosetti has worn out his welcome on my TV screen several episodes back. He's the most one dimensional, cartoony character this show has ever had. There was more depth to drunken Lucy, IMO.

I did like Richard finally getting some happiness, but how long that can last on this show is debatable.
    momrek06 likes this.

Owen! Oh no!!! I wonder who's responsible. DH thinks that Eli and the butler got Nucky to mandate it.
    momrek06 likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

I really got the impression that Nucky had no idea about the relationship between Owen and Margaret. He seemed very surprised by the intensity of her reaction to seeing him dead. Yes, as far as Rosetti is concerned, I hated that character from the get-go, not only because he is devoid of any redeeming values but just because I think he is played too over-the-top. They could have come up with a better, more multi-dimensional foil for Nucky. I wish they had let Jimmy stay longer. Why would Nucky want to get rid of Jimmy but let Rosetti stay longer and gain more power? He is a much more formidable enemy than Jimmy ever would have been. Gillian is just getting on my nerves. They need to get rid of her somehow. I can't see anywhere for that character to go. Richard and his girlfriend could get married and adopt Tommy. I just liked this show a lot more before this season, sad to say.

I don't think Nucky has a clue about Owen and Margaret, either. He'd been too wrapped up in stupid Billie to notice anything going on. I had a feeling Owen was going to come to a bad end, but I still had hope he'd run off with Margaret. Oh well.

And Rosetti, gawd. What a foul, psychotic thing he is. Whacking that poor guy in the head with a shovel even made me squirm. He needs to go, as does that creepy Gillian.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I don't think Nucky has a clue about Owen and Margaret, either. He'd been too wrapped up in stupid Billie to notice anything going on. I had a feeling Owen was going to come to a bad end, but I still had hope he'd run off with Margaret. Oh well.

And Rosetti, gawd. What a foul, psychotic thing he is. Whacking that poor guy in the head with a shovel even made me squirm. He needs to go, as does that creepy Gillian.
    I think your are right about Nucky's currently clueless state (and my DH is wrong about Eli). Now, I'm wondering if Margaret is going to take an active role in managing Nucky's crumbling empire. With Owen gone, she's going to need a Plan B.

FORT Fogey

I don't understand the whole scenario with Gillian and the young fellow who looked a bit like Jimmy. I guess that she needed a body in order to inherit the mansion, right? But who was she fooling with the kid who only has a passing resemblance to Jimmy? Was everyone who ever saw Jimmy in cahoots with her? Otherwise, why would they back her up? Is Richard so in need of being employed by her that he wouldn't speak up, either? All he said was that Jimmy deserved better. I suppose he kept quiet because the mansion is also Tommy's home, but somehow I suspect he's going to wind up with Tommy when someone whacks Gillian, or whatever unfortunate incident is going to happen to her, which I hope is soon.

I loved this show so much at first, but this season is just falling apart for me. Plus, I can't get that image of Rosetti with the shovel out of my mind, and I wish I had just put my hands over my eyes before it was too late! It's just a TV show, it's just a TV show, it's just a TV show ....

+ Reply to Thread