+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Re: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Saint Finnbarr? As in the patron Saint of Cork (Ireland)?

Sorry I haven't watch the epi yet, I still have it in wait on my DvR... but had to chuckle a bit when I saw the question.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

St. Finbar's Church is the church Margaret transferred to deed to. I just had to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I realized that despite all Nucky's transgressions, he was still a sympathetic character to me until this episode.
    Same here. I'm still shocked that he took out Jimmy...either I was being dense or it was wishful thinking, but I didn't see that coming at all. Even with all the hints - the will, dogtags, leaving Richard behind - I almost fell off the couch when he pulled that trigger. I'm glad Margaret signed that property away, I'll enjoy watching him blow a gasket when he finds out.

Van Alden - what in hell is he doing? He's become my comic relief in this show.

I don't want to wait a year for the next season! Damn.
    Poppy Fields and AlwaysVeg like this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Same here. I'm still shocked that he took out Jimmy...either I was being dense or it was wishful thinking, but I didn't see that coming at all. Even with all the hints - the will, dogtags, leaving Richard behind - I almost fell off the couch when he pulled that trigger. I'm glad Margaret signed that property away, I'll enjoy watching him blow a gasket when he finds out.

Van Alden - what in hell is he doing? He's become my comic relief in this show.

I don't want to wait a year for the next season! Damn.
    I agree with everything you said! If I were Margaret, I'd get the hell out of Dodge before Nucky finds out what she did! Although I wonder if, in those days, a wife could sign away property without her husband's co-signature, even if his name isn't on the deed. I just can't imagine that if that property transfer stands, that Nucky wouldn't toss her out on her rear, if not worse. Even if he loves her, I can't see him continuing to take care of her and her children after a betrayal like that. Still have to wonder if Katie is going to spill the beans about her and Owen.

The scene with Van Alden ... or what's his new name, Mueller? ... was rather comical. Wonder if he's intimately involved with the nanny. She must care for him if she was willing to go on the run with him.

I wish HBO would start the new season next summer because I can't wait till fall, plus there's nothing to watch in the summer! I've loved several HBO shows, but they do take too long between seasons, or it seems longer because the shows have less episodes than those on ABC, NBC and CBS.

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar

Could there be a chance that Nucky and Jimmy staged the killing? I know we saw gunshot wounds to Jimmy's face and head, but maybe it was faked? Okay, I"m just grasping. I really liked the Jimmy character, especially with Richard and the things they were capable of. We'll have to see what Richard's fate is now, could go either way I suppose.

Interesting that Van Alden settled in Cicero, IL. That's Capone's future (in show time) stomping grounds. Wonder if there will be a connection there. Great show, I will certainly miss it until next season.

...Although I wonder if, in those days, a wife could sign away property without her husband's co-signature, even if his name isn't on the deed.
    If I remember my property law correctly, the short answer would be "no." New Jersey is not a community property state. In a non-community property state, upon marriage, a husband acquires rights in real property owned by his wife. Those rights relate not merely to death but also to the equitable distribution of property upon divorce or dissolution of the marriage. During the marriage, fee simple title to that property cannot be transferred without consent of both spouses.

in the 1920's the attempted deed to the Church would have required Nucky's transferring his courtesy rights (an inchoate, or dormant, interest in the property arising from his status as Margaret's husband). Courtesy rights are not the same as community property rights. BTW, a wife also had inchoate rights in her husband's property, aka dower rights. New Jersey is now an equitable distribution state, which means that property owned by each spouse separately at the time of the marriage remains so.

Also, that deed has to be notarized for the county clerk to accept it. So there's lots of room for Nucky to outmaneuver the Church. It will be fun watching him sweat this out next season.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

FORT Fogey

Thanks, Poppy Fields! I had the feeling it was not going to be so cut & dry as Margaret imagined. This certainly paves the way for lots of conflict between Nucky and Margaret next season.

Regarding whether the killing of Jimmy was staged, as much as I would like him to be back on the show next year, I think it was for real. Remember there was that dreamy sort of WWI scene as Jimmy was dying. That seemed to seal the deal that he was dead. I'll really miss him. Besides Nucky and Margaret, he was the most important and complex character on the show for me. Michael Pitt is a superb actor!

My fear for Richard is that he's going to be playing house with Gillian and Tommy .... Voila, there's that family he wanted. But I'd like to see him with a nice woman, not her ... although perhaps he will see it as his duty to watch over Tommy, knowing Gillian is a liar and manipulator.

I think you are onto something, AlwaysVeg. That scene with Gillian and Tommy playing on the floor together was somehow reminiscent of the pictures in Richard's "wish book." But somehow I don't see Gillian tolerating him as a role model for Tommy.

I think Nucky will wind up killing Eli if Eli doesn't do time, too. Like Jimmy, there's no way he can be trusted now.

I will miss Jimmy, and it's hard to envsion the story moving on without him. Michael Pitt really portrayed him brilliantly as one of the lost - the ones who never quite find their way home again. Staging his death at the War Memorial and that dreamlike WWI scene as he was dying was riveting!

Here's part of what Terrence Winter had to say about it in an intervews with EW:

My only concern plot-wise was wondering whether Jimmy would really go so willingly to what he likely believes is his death.
    We know with [the previous week's episode] that hes so emotionally damaged. I dont think Jimmy ever expected to come back alive from World War I. I think he probably left for the war hoping he would die and was surprised he survived. Hes been a walking dead person ever since weve met him. Hes come back and gone through the motions of a person trying to make his way in the world, but ultimately becomes resigned to his fate. He gets manipulated into this run against Nucky, who was his mentor, and really the only father figure of any meaning that he has. The plot failed and he knows, as a good solider, hes going to have to fall on his sword. He fully knows what hes walking into at the end. Hes not armed. He says goodbye to his son. He basically gives Richard Harrow permission to not come with him. He knows he needs to be punished. The circumstances of his life have unraveled to the point where hes willing to accept his fate. And psychologically Harrow is prepared to respect that as a soldier.
    'Boardwalk Empire' showrunner explains shocking finale, season 3 | Inside TV | EW.com

(There are some season 3 spoilers in this interview. Follow the link at the end for an interview with Pitt about Jimmy's demise.)

FORT Fogey

Thanks for the link to the articles, Poppy. Good stuff. I look forward to season 3, but at least the way it seems to me now, they killed off the only character who had any real depth, complexity, and emotional pull on the audience. Nucky is no longer likeable or redeemable, Margaret is getting boring with her Catholic guilt vs. loving the good life provided by her man's ill-gotten gains (like Carmella Soprano), and who else is there? VanAlden will probably be somewhat interesting in his new life, especially since he's bound to come into contact with Al Capone ... Capone himself has been portrayed as fairly stupid and comical so far, and the other gangsters are totally one-dimensional. Don't know what's ahead for Richard. Can't see Nucky trusting him to hire him on, and it's more likely that Richard will cling to his one remaining connection to Jimmy, his son, and perhaps try to be a father figure if Gillian lets him ... and please do not let Gillian seduce the poor guy. <<Sigh>> The death of Jimmy takes a lot away from the show.

Season 3 beigins next Sunday! I'm looking forward to it. There's been a blank spot in our Sunday lineup since the finales of True Blood and (even moreso) The Newsroom.
    waywyrd, momrek06 and AlwaysVeg like this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread