+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Re: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

What a great episode! My jaw was on the floor and I don't think it has come up yet! I hate that there is only one episode left. Amazing writing and acting all the way around. I hope we don't have too much of the VanAlden storyline next season. I could take him or leave him.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I thought Richard cleaning the blood, looking at Jimmy and shutting the curtains occurred when Richard was cleaning up after Jimmy killed the Commodore. How they're going to explain what happened to the man I have no idea, unless they're going to say the Commodore was attacking either Jimmy (self-defense) or Gillian.

I think Jimmy was grieving for Angela in his own way when he kept repeating "I'll remember," or something like that, when Gillian was being so cavalier about the whole thing, and Jimmy attacked her. That's when the Commodore attacked Jimmy. I can't recall exactly what he was saying, but he was responding to Gillian's almost cheerful attitude about how Tommy won't even remember his mother soon. I need to watch this episode again. I think I went blank after that scene in Jimmy's dorm room!
    I watched again last night. You're right, it was the Commodore's blood (and probably Jimmy's, too) that Richard was cleaning. I guess I was thinking of when he saw Angela's blood, and reached down to touch that place on the floor where she died.

FORT Fogey

I've watched this episode twice (so far), and both times I missed the first couple of minutes. Is that when he touches the place on the floor where Angela died? I didn't see that!

Now I'm wondering if Jimmy is going to kill his mother to keep his son safe from her. Maybe he'll leave town with Tommy, or in some way get Gillian out of their lives. I can't see him allowing her to continue to be so controlling, especially where his son is concerned. Gillian is no doubt planning to play house, with her and Jimmy as mom and dad to "their son."

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I've watched this episode twice (so far), and both times I missed the first couple of minutes. Is that when he touches the place on the floor where Angela died? I didn't see that!

Now I'm wondering if Jimmy is going to kill his mother to keep his son safe from her. Maybe he'll leave town with Tommy, or in some way get Gillian out of their lives. I can't see him allowing her to continue to be so controlling, especially where his son is concerned. Gillian is no doubt planning to play house, with her and Jimmy as mom and dad to "their son."
    I think Richard actually had tears welling up when he touched the pool of blood. It was right aafter he played "simpleton" for the deputy sheriff's benefit at Himmy's house (and at Gillian's direction).

I'm wondering if Jimmy will be able to overcome Gillian's power over him. He could have killed her so easily when he attacked her - but he didn't. True, he was interrupted, but I don't know if the actual intent to murder her was there. Maybe he'll get Richard to do it?

Gillian is beyond redemption. But, I don't think Jimmy is.

FORT Fogey

OMG! Poppy Fields and other BE fans -- where are you?! My head is spinning! Nucky killed Jimmy! Do you think Jimmy knew he was going to die? Margaret is signing over the land for the new road to the church! Nucky masterfully manipulated her into marrying him, but she sure paid him back by beating him at his own game. What an amazing episode. It was so powerful that, this one time, I don't think I could stand to watch it again.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

OMG! is totally right!!!!! I scared my dog when Nucky shot Jimmy by exclaiming something that isn't allowed on the boards. The writing, production, and acting this season has been beyond spectacular. I can't wait for the show to continue. But damn, Angela, the Commodore, and now Jimmy getting offed...there's got to be some comeuppance for Gillian, right? Now that Jimmy's dead, the wealth will go to the kid (I *should* have seen that coming, after the chat with the lawyer, but sadly I didn't--they pull me in too much to be rational). So as his guardian, Gillian will have control. And what will become of Richard? Too many damn questions, so I guess it really hit it out of the park as a season finale!

As for Margaret, my brain did kick in a bit when she was signing over the deed. She should have created a trust for her kids, or at least her polio-stricken daughter, with the priest as trustee, and signed it over to them.

Ugh, AlwaysVeg, I'm glad you watched! Everyone I know IRL who watches is a few episodes behind and I can't bear to talk to them about the show. I keep admonishing them to catch up.

Well, I cried. "To The Lost," indeed.

I kept expecting it to be someone's dream, but it was really Nucky killing Jimmy (who recently killed his own father). I didn't think Jimmy was going to survive, but did NOT expect him to die at Nucky's hand. More likely Manny's.

I think he knew he was going to die. He made sure that Tommy would inherit the Commodore's estate. He overpaid Chalky. He gave Tommy his dog tags. Even Gillian seemed to know. I knew for sure when he told Richard that he should "try to come home," and that he had to go alone to meet Nucky.

He said he'd already died in the trenches and he arrived unarmed. This was his way of committing suicide, I think. I'll miss him. I kept hoping there could be some kind of mutual redemption for him, Nucky, and Richard. I hope Richard will still have a role in the story!

Margaret, as Mrs. Thompson, is a much gutsier character. Can't wait to see how Nucky deals with losing his fortune. I'm also wondering if the transaction was even legal without his consent, considering the era and the fact that Margaret was married when she made it.

As to her motives, I think maybe she knew Nucky killed Jimmy? They were archenemies, and Nucky's blase' story about them burying the hatchet and Jimmy's re-upping (probably never to be seen again) afflicted her moral sensibility. Maybe she thought deeding the land to the church would atone for Nucky's evil act?

I have so many questions. I hope Season 3 answers them. And I CAN'T WAIT!

OMG OMG OMG what an episode!!!

BRING ON SEASON 3!!!
    KAREN

FORT Fogey

My head is still spinning from this episode. Between Nucky and Manny, I, too, think Jimmy knew there was no way he was going to survive, and that's why he told Richard to stay behind and questioned the lawyer as to whether his son would inherit the Commodore's fortune. I HATE to think that poor kid will have only Gillian now to take care of him. If only Jimmy had appointed someone else as guardian ... I don't know who, but NOT Gillian.

I realized that despite all Nucky's transgressions, he was still a sympathetic character to me until this episode. He got Jimmy to do his dirty work with the alderman, and I felt bad for Jimmy thinking that would earn him a pass back into Nucky's good graces. I think that underneath it all, Jimmy just wanted Nucky to love him like a son, and because he didn't get what he wanted from Nucky in that regard, he turned against him temporarily, kind of like a rebellious kid. I no longer have any positive feelings toward Nucky, ambushing Jimmy and killing him point blank like that. Nucky's true evil nature was revealed last night, and now we have Margaret making a stand for "good" vs Nucky's evil, although I agree that she should have at least made sure her children would be taken care of in that transaction in the event of her demise. What does she think Nucky is going to do when he finds out what she's done? She should know him well enough to realize she's in deep doo-doo!

And what about that little glimpse we had of Van Alden in his new life in the Midwest, playing house with the nanny? Can't wait to see more of that, too.

I can't wait till next fall for this show to come back!! That's almost a year away!

I watched the season finale again last night and I know I'm really going to miss this show. I haven't been this caught up in a series since "Rome."

None of the characters in the story are what I'd call normal, well-adusted adults. Jimmy was somehow the most sympathetic to me even though he slept with his mom, was a cold-blooded killer, thief, accomplisehd liar, manipulator (sending the Klan to Chalky's warehouse), ordered Nucky's death, and committed patricide. It's hard for me to think he didn't earn that outcome. I think he knew it was coming and did all he could to make things right for Nucky first, and that he probably wanted to die. Otherwise, he would not have gone alone and unarmed to that meeting (or gone at all).

He and Nucky had a great deal in common. I don't think Nucky killed Jimmy because he believed Eli, but because he knew he could never trust Jimmy again. And because Jimmy was as smart and as ruthless as Nucky, he understood this.

I am thinking that Nelson is going into the bootlegging business.

ETA: Who in the world was St. Finbar?

+ Reply to Thread