+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

I think Nucky did look bewildered during the entire final scene. He seemed stupefield, but I guess I thought that was because of Margaret's news. But you are right, Shay. Nucky looked lost when discussing McGarrigle with Owen.

No comments this week?

I didn't think they'd take out Angela, but that Russian is just ruthless. Jimmy's in way, way over his head.

I hate that the season's almost over!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

FORT Fogey

I hate that it's almost over, too ... especially if we have to wait nearly a year for the next season! Yes, I was shocked by what happened to Angela. I was shocked when it was her girlfriend who came out of the shower and was shot, and then to see Angela get killed, too ... wow! I need to watch it again to recall everything that happened. From the previews, did it look like Nucky finds out about Margaret and Owen? Jimmy looks more and more like a little kid playing with the big boys and getting his ass kicked. Lately I find it hard to believe that Al, Uncle O'Junior, et al are still listening to him at all.

I was down with the flu since Saturday so I didn't get to watch until this morning.

I have to say I was really shocked that Manny killed Angela. The whole time he was restraining her I was expecting Richard to step out of the shadows and do him in. The thought that Tommy could be the one to find them is pretty horrifying. I hope Richard is the one who does.

My favorite scene is Chalky and Jimmy negotiating and end to the strike. Chalky is one cool character. Jimmy must deliver the Klansmen who killed Chalky's workers or wait until next tourist season to sell liquor. This may be a storyline that will carry over to next season?

A close second was the look on Van Alden's face when he opened Rose's diviorce petition and read her terse little note that accompanied it.

Watching Eli twisting in the wind, unable to analyze his options, was kind of gratifying, too.

Seeing Teddy holding his father's photo, studying it, then returning it along with his signed baseball to his cigar box of treasures made me ponder. Is Teddyy just turning into an evil kid? Or is he living in grief for his father, and the guilty/painful memory of the way his mother was treated by him? Or is he drowning in a mixture of both with Nucky as his only lifeline in sight?

Oh, and I think Nucky has hired himself a much better lawyer.

And could Margaret's wardrobe and stylist get any better? Her costumes are perfect for her - or she is perfect for them. Whateveer. Love them!
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Well, that was a bit uncomfortable, wasn't it? Of course, Jimmy & his mother's relationship was always a bit squiffy, but this just confirmed it, in triplicate--from the college party, to the room with the train, to the "oh, well, it's handled, let's not ever talk about it again" killing.

I'm loving the Van Alden story right now. To learn he was raised by doomsday cultist makes a lot of sense, Mickey Doyle's comment about Van Alden's looming had me laughing, and that ultimate geeky run out of the post office was just too fun.

The only tiny problem I had with the episode (and I mean tiny--I think this is the best written show on right now and maybe in a long time) is Margaret vacillating between a no-nonsense, get things done in a practical way character and one who believes her schtupping Nucky's driver caused her daughter's polio. Now I get the whole Catholic guilt thing--been there, done that, have many a teeshirt--but it seems a bit retrograde for her character at this point.
    PIMguy, waywyrd and Poppy Fields like this.

FORT Fogey

"Uncomfortable" is putting it mildly! Even though Gillian has always been inappropriate with Jimmy, I never anticipated that it had gone that far. I had to cover my eyes during that scene ... and peek through my fingers! And then the scene with the Commodore, and her ordering Jimmy to "finish it." And he did. After all this time, he still allows her to manipulate him.

I thought it was interesting that they showed Jimmy and Angela's early relationship in college. It explains a lot. This show is SO well written!

I hate that there's ony one episode left! I wish they would start the next season in late spring or early summer. Can't stand to think we'll have to wait till next fall.
    Poppy Fields likes this.

Gawd, that was unpleasant to watch. Gillian has certainly done a number on Jimmy. How are they going to explain the hole in the Commodore? Jimmy's buried so deep, I don't think he's ever going to get out.

I agree, PG - Van Alden hightailing it out of the office like that had me rolling. Where does he think he's going?

One more episode. I'm really going to miss this show til next year!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

They all fall down.

Did we really need the explicit Greek tragedy spelled out for us graphically? I know I didn't. At least we now know why Jimmy opted for trench warfare over undergrad life at Princeton. But I kept waiting for him to mourn for Angela - in some way other than snorting heroin out of the envelope Luciano gave him as a "sample." And I was so moved by Richard's wordless mourning. That trembling of the chin, his cleaning of her blood. The look he gave Jimmy. The shutting of the curtains.

Jimmy still appears to be so powerless over Gillian. I have to wonder now what is going to happen. He is so fragile, but I give Gillian's chance of survival lower odds than his. She's a monster and he needs to protect his son from her.

Van Alden on the run spells the end of the AG's case, I think. Nucky can handle Eli and Halloran. I think he'll get off. But not unscathed. I'm pretty certain Katy is going to spill the beans.

One episode left. With so many in the cast now gone, I wonder what new faces we'll be seeing. Favorite episode line: "I don't like the way you loom." This could have been the episode title.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 12-05-2011 at 09:53 AM.

FORT Fogey

I thought Richard cleaning the blood, looking at Jimmy and shutting the curtains occurred when Richard was cleaning up after Jimmy killed the Commodore. How they're going to explain what happened to the man I have no idea, unless they're going to say the Commodore was attacking either Jimmy (self-defense) or Gillian.

I think Jimmy was grieving for Angela in his own way when he kept repeating "I'll remember," or something like that, when Gillian was being so cavalier about the whole thing, and Jimmy attacked her. That's when the Commodore attacked Jimmy. I can't recall exactly what he was saying, but he was responding to Gillian's almost cheerful attitude about how Tommy won't even remember his mother soon. I need to watch this episode again. I think I went blank after that scene in Jimmy's dorm room!
    Last edited by AlwaysVeg; 12-05-2011 at 03:27 PM.

FORT Fogey

Yikes! Spoiler alert! Maybe this is already known, but I just read that Paz de la Huerta (Lucy) let it slip that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the baby dies in the season finale, paving the way for Van Alden to leave town.

+ Reply to Thread