+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer them for me?

Who was that heavy guy with the crazy mustache, that didn't get the "clams" joke? And why was he shot near the end? Was he a 'boss' from NY or Chicago?

Was the "gypsy" fortune teller somone Nucky recognized? Or what was her significance - it seemed to be pivotal in some way?

Have to watch this again tonight at 9.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

He was a boss from New York. I think he was shot because Rothstein thought he was in on the hijacking.

The fortune teller probably was just a plot point to show that Nucky doesn't know what the future will bring now that New York has entered the picture and he can't be "half a gangster" anymore.
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

I just read a recap of the show. The guy that was shot was Jim Colosimo. He was from Chicago. He was the guy that they were saying didn't want to get into the liquor business. Remember, he thought that there was going to be too much pressure from the Feds and he made enough money off of whores. Johnny Torrio was also from Chicago and he's the one that had Colosimo murdered in his own restaurant.

I think that the fortune teller is someone that he knows or has taken advice from. Some kind of relationship. He knows everyone, on the boardwalk and everything that goes on there. There are going to be so many things that we find out about him and a first episode isn't going to fill us in on everything. I would be very surprised if we don't hear more about the fortune teller.

The ratings for the premiere were so good - the highest since the premiere of Deadwood in 2004 - that HBO has already picked up the show for a second season: HBO picks up 'Boardwalk Empire' for a second season | EW.com
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

They don't want to make the same mistake as they did with Mad Men! Which means a good thing for us viewers!

Gotta love the Mouse! JORY'sMom's Avatar

No comments? What did everyone think of the second show?

Wow...that was Jimmy's mother?

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JORY'sMom;4070821;

We are tuning in tonight at 8 p.m. EDT. It conflicted with Dexter last night, and Dexter re-airs at 9:00 tonight. We opted for the extra hour's sleep. Can't wait for 8.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JORY'sMom;4070821;

There's too much good TV on Sundays; I have to time-shift to Mondays. But yeah, ITA...that was Jimmy's MOM?!?! And that's how she greets him?!?!

It's definitely picking up pace and I'm getting into it more. The Fed guy is way creepy, stealing the hair ribbon and sniffing it after writing a letter to his wife about the plumbing. And, my goodness, the end made me literally laugh out loud. It's the classic "don't go into the woods for frisky business" story.

Gotta love the Mouse! JORY'sMom's Avatar

No doubt...Sunday is now the slam packed full TV night!

+ Reply to Thread