+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Re: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

When she went to the office dressed like she used to, I knew she was going after the things Nucky was hiding to keep him safe. I was thinking, You go girl!! The FBI agent storyline can disappear for all I care. I don't care about his marriage or his mistress with child.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I guess money is the way Nucky deals with a lot of conflicts? I think Nucky was very uncomfortable trying to handle a talk with Teddy about playing with matches. Remember, he torched his fathers house right in front of Teddy. I think it made a big impression.

So he told him he wanted him to mind his mother and the sisters, never saying that he was disappointed in Teddy's behavior. Then he gave him a reward.
    I had totally forgotten about him torching his father's house in front of Teddy. It was sad to see that boy just assume that he was going to be beaten, and accepting that as fact. I'm glad to hear that you, too, were confused by the financial reward. I was feeling a little "low IQ-ish"!

I've still got to watch the most recent episode.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I had totally forgotten about him torching his father's house in front of Teddy. It was sad to see that boy just assume that he was going to be beaten, and accepting that as fact. I'm glad to hear that you, too, were confused by the financial reward. I was feeling a little "low IQ-ish"!

I've still got to watch the most recent episode.
    I saw it as Nucky trying to be the kind of "father" that HIS father was not. Remember he said his father would have given him a whipping if he has been hit by the nuns. Nucky was trying to be kind because his father never was. He also gave Jimmy that father-son statue as a gift, so this was another example of Nucky caring for his "son" in a way that the boys' real fathers did not.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

How amazing was Chalky's role call of his cell mates? He crippled (possibly killed?) his adversary without even having to leave his seat on the cot.

Now we know how powerful an adversary Chalky is. He is going to give the Commondore/Jimmy/Eli some sleepless nights, to be sure! I think he is going to be Nucky's savior - for a price, of course.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

I am slogging along, slowly, behind everybody else trying to get these episodes in. I just had my first viewing of the most recent episode, so I've got to plan to watch it again....and this time, it wasn't that easy. I loved how Chalky demonstrated to that obnoxious guy exactly who he was by identifying his other cellmates by name. Chalky is basically "King of the Negroes" in that town (like he has, pretty much, said), and the obnoxious guy found out the hard way. When you treat peoples' families well, they usually remember it. "Obnoxious Guy", basically, looked dead, didn't he? No, the guy (Chalky) can't read, but he has power....obviously, Mr. Obnoxious wasn't from around there!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Seeing Michael K. Williams as Chalky on Boardwalk and on Community has made me really like him. I never watched The Wire, though everyone tells me I should watch it. I'm thinking I should.

This season of Boardwalk has really blown me away. They've found much more of a balance in telling the stories, Buscemi has really grown into the part, and Kelly MacDonald is everything that Danny Boyle saw in her back in '96. The tension is much more realized and can't wait for more episodes. Catching up on last week's right before seeing tonight's makes me want to power through all of them in one big gulp. I guess I'll just have to wait.

Loved that Richard Harrow said he wouldn't kill Nucky. He's not a mindless assassin. Loved his scene with Slater, too, and Slater offering his services to Nucky as a cleaner upper. Nucky's team is coming together. With Margaret's insight and Chalky's power base the Commodore will be no match for them. I think Jimmy is going to have a major change of heart, too.

I am recalling Harrow's brief time guarding Margaret and her children, and how she respected him and let him know that she did. I bet he wishes he had some photos of that time for his scrapbook. There's no question in my mind which team he'll be playing on.

And Paz was great last night! The virtual prisoner rebels. She somehow evoked Van Alden's empathy and, perhaps, even charmed him a little with her happy drunken swaying to the Victrola. Her confiding to Cantor that, for once, she had just wanted to be important to someone touched my heart. I think Van Alden might be falling in love with her. His buying the Victrola and asking Doyle if he considered Nucky "fun" had me smiling. Maybe he'll wind up with Lucy who wants nothing so much as someone to watch over her.

Oh, and Margaret's secret past is certainly giving her mood swings - especially with the help!

As with last season, I need to re-watch each episode several times before I see all the nuances that unfold the plot. The writing and the acting are just brilliant. I, too, want to see all the new ones back-to-back. Then watch them again (and again!).
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 10-10-2011 at 09:06 AM.

There's got to be a 3-episode mini-marathon coming up soon.

I'll be watching for it, Shay. Current episode airs again tonight at 10 EDT.

Great episode last night! The Commodore appears to be out of commission, and I can't imagine him recovering any time soon. At least not in time to win the hooch war. Doyle's warehouse is history, along with all that inventory. Things are not looking up for Team Jimmy.

Gillian's still dancing naked for the Commodore??? That was shocking to me. If he's been paying her bills all along, why was she a low-arts exotic dancer?

Chalky's family seemed ashamed of him. I was shocked to see that the family apparently went on to enjoy their meal, then gathered around the piano for a sing-a-long. Chalky seemed to be feeling the rejection an all fronts last night.

I think Nucky's counting his chickens before they hatch as far as the US Attorney General's involvement in his Mann Act charges goes. And Margaret seems to be trying to shore things up financially in advance of the coming storm. I have to wonder how much Slater will have to do with the fury of that storm.

And I think Eli is going to jump ship. Soon.

+ Reply to Thread