+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    Tonight!!!!!
    Took a nap today so I wouldn't miss it.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I feel like such a fan-girl right now! I really loved the S2 opener and I know I'll watch it again before the next episode. What I loved about it is that they didn't drop a detail (or at least I didn't see them drop a detail...I could be proven wrong). The bit I loved the most--stylistically, obviously--was the transition from Nucky's speech to the African-American church to the white church. (To be absolutely clear, I'm not condoning Nucky's duality of positions at all...just the transition was just an amazing way to show the two-faced nature of Nucky's politics and motivations. It was very cinematic.) Jimmy's mother continues to freak me out, Van Alden delivers on the crazy--as does his wife!--and though I worry about her continued ability to be employed, Paz de la Huerta delivered in the end. Kelly Macdonald and Michael K. Williams continue to knock it out of the park. I really love BE's (fairly) realistic take on life in AC in the '20s as a nice come-down after 3 months of True Blood craziness.
    momrek06 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I feel like such a fan-girl right now! I really loved the S2 opener and I know I'll watch it again before the next episode. What I loved about it is that they didn't drop a detail (or at least I didn't see them drop a detail...I could be proven wrong). The bit I loved the most--stylistically, obviously--was the transition from Nucky's speech to the African-American church to the white church. (To be absolutely clear, I'm not condoning Nucky's duality of positions at all...just the transition was just an amazing way to show the two-faced nature of Nucky's politics and motivations. It was very cinematic.) Jimmy's mother continues to freak me out, Van Alden delivers on the crazy--as does his wife!--and though I worry about her continued ability to be employed, Paz de la Huerta delivered in the end. Kelly Macdonald and Michael K. Williams continue to knock it out of the park. I really love BE's (fairly) realistic take on life in AC in the '20s as a nice come-down after 3 months of True Blood craziness.

GREAT post, ITA with everything you have said here, PG!!! Great opening right up to the last scene!!!

Jimmy's mom is rather odd! Kissing him ON the lips and then what she told Jimmy's wife....eek!

I, as well, loved how HBO did the 'church' scenes.....I was watching yet I was a bit confused and then turned to my DH and said "wow, interesting how they did that"!!! He agreed!!!

Oh and ya, Paz did not disappoint. I was surprised after her incidents with the law that she was indeed on BE.

I wonder if Teddy will be the new Jimmy?
    KAREN

This was so worth the wait! I watched it 3 times back-to-back last night!

Gillian is the mother-in-law from hell. I don't know if she really did kiss Jimmy's winkie when she changed him - maybe that was just a way for her to establish a territorial claim. Sick.

After the show I did a little internet research and discovered (cringingly) that this is a common practice in some cultures and is deemed to be nurturant mothering behavior!

Chapter 7: Child Abuse, Homicide and Raids in Tribes

Harrow's visualization book touched my heart for about 5 seconds.Then I remembered that he shoots people with families for a living.

Although the Commodore and Eli would have no qualms of conscience over coordinating a KKK led massacre, I would have thought it would trouble Jimmy a lot. He has a relationship of sorts with Chalky, and I think he respects him. I am wondering if that might make him re-think his role in the takeover. Nucky is going to figure this out soon, if he hasn't already.

Nucky's "church" edit was really brilliant, and I think it may foreshadow how he'll play it out.

And poor little Teddy getting ready for the "belt." Could it be that Nucky's seeming indecision over handling Teddy may have something to do with the fact that he torched his father's house in front of him?

The Van Aldens are the creepiest people in the cast! She's just a gangster's wife. They just play on the other team. Buy maybe she'll be a mom soon - after Lucy has her baby. What do you think?
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 09-26-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Wow! I finally got around to my first watch of the season opener last night, and I am anxious to watch it again today! Gillian is totally inappropriate with her son. When she gave him a fairly passionate kiss on the lips after telling Angie that she'd fix his breakfast.........my face......>. She is horrid! And that thing about kissing him on his "winkie"......... Is that heifer living with them??? It would have to come down to a "me or your mother" stance, for me.

That transition between the messages being delivered in the black vs. white churches was brilliant.

I didn't think that what Harrow was doing, in his sniper-life, was that bad since usually, the families were "off limits", but last season, he was willing to kill the mother, younger brother and (I think) the dentist brother of the skeezy D'Alessio brothers to get the in-hiding brothers to show themselves. I guess when you live "the life", that's just one of the things that you place you and yours in line for. And when did Harrow relocate to live with Jimmy and Angie, and away from Nucky and Margaret? This is, straight-up, old school Sopranos, but I don't think they messed with people's families. On second thought, a guy from Tony's rival family made some nasty comments and innuendos to Tony's daughter, and nearly paid with his life (by Tony's hand and foot!)......and it didn't seem like the wrong thing to do.

Van Alden and his wife are part of the "Jesus Goon Squad"....he, more so, than her. She knows NOTHING about her husband. She has no idea he's a murderer. I can't wait until she gets wind of that baby that the whackadoodle is carrying.

This is an amazing show!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

At the end of last season, didn't Margaret pack up and walk away? In the season opener, she's right back there with no explanation. Maybe we are supposed to assume she figured her future without Nucky was not very promising, so she came back, but it just seemed odd to me that there she was like nothing happened. I guess she is no longer living in that apartment with the other mistresses, but in Nucky's own home now.

Nucky and Margaret reunited in the last episode, or at least that was implicit. She capitulated, and it seems that they do have a new home? Nucky used to live in the hotel.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Why did Nucky give Margaret's son money for the candy store after they talked about what his misbehavior at school? I didn't get his point. I did like that he didn't do what the boy had learned to expect from his own father when he did wrong. Seems like that would have been enough....definitely, for the boy.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I guess money is the way Nucky deals with a lot of conflicts? I think Nucky was very uncomfortable trying to handle a talk with Teddy about playing with matches. Remember, he torched his fathers house right in front of Teddy. I think it made a big impression.

So he told him he wanted him to mind his mother and the sisters, never saying that he was disappointed in Teddy's behavior. Then he gave him a reward.

How awesome were Margaret and Chalky in last night's episode?

+ Reply to Thread