+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

FORT Fogey

Re: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

I think Eli is going to get his head handed to him! I still don't understand the whole firing-rehiring thing, but he did get his job back. He's just jealous of Nucky, probably always has been. The real-life Nucky who this one is modeled after wound up serving some jail time. I wonder if this little trio of plotters is going to try to get him put behind bars so they can take over.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4122044;
    I think Eli is going to get his head handed to him! I still don't understand the whole firing-rehiring thing, but he did get his job back. He's just jealous of Nucky, probably always has been. The real-life Nucky who this one is modeled after wound up serving some jail time. I wonder if this little trio of plotters is going to try to get him put behind bars so they can take over.
    The real Nucky did not go jail until 1941, and I think the Commodore's power play is going to fail. He has an axe to grind; so does Eli. But Jimmy? I think Jimmy's only real gripe is that Nucky has never said the 3 little words he wants to hear; "I love you." He knows his father has never loved him. I don't see him betraying Nucky when all is said and done.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

It will be interesting to see if Nucky confides in Jimmy that his father is trying to overthrow his power in the city. Who does Nucky really have when all is said and done? All the other people in his life besides Margaret will go with whomever is in power......I still think that bible had notes for Nucky in it and he will soon know all that is to be done.
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fogey

Doesn't it make you wonder why Jimmy wants to hear those words from Nucky? I guess he felt that Nucky was more of a father to him than the one who basically ignored him until now. (Did the commodore even thank him for saving his life?) I wonder if it's really the three little words he wants, or the position as Nucky's next-in-command and heir to the throne of AC. I know the real Nucky didn't go to jail until much later, but I don't know if the show is going to fast-forward that far, and I thought they might want to include the jail time (or possibility thereof) more in the present. They're not following the real Nucky's life exactly. If the three plotters really wanted to get rid of Nucky, they could have him killed ... so maybe they prefer to just get him behind bars and take his little empire away while he's alive to know about their triumph (which I don't think is going to happen, either).

I think Jimmy just wants to feel like he belongs to someone, anyone. He feels horrible for being born because his mother was so young. She's been more of a friend than a mother and Nucky did take care of them. Maybe he wants Nucky to love him because he feels Nucky is a monster who pimped his mother at a very young age. If Nucky loved him, it may make up for that and Jimmy can find forgiveness. I don't understand why he would even consider teaming up with his father after knowing how he just threw them both into Nucky's care instead of giving a care about them.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;4122089;
    I think Jimmy just wants to feel like he belongs to someone, anyone. He feels horrible for being born because his mother was so young. She's been more of a friend than a mother and Nucky did take care of them. Maybe he wants Nucky to love him because he feels Nucky is a monster who pimped his mother at a very young age. If Nucky loved him, it may make up for that and Jimmy can find forgiveness. I don't understand why he would even consider teaming up with his father after knowing how he just threw them both into Nucky's care instead of giving a care about them.
    When a drunken Jimmy tells Nucky: "I thought you loved me," and Nucky says, "I'm not your father," it's pretty clear to me what Jimmy needs from Nucky. When, after Nucky's denial, Jimmy says, "Then stop pretending that you give a sh*t!," it's clear to me that he has an ocean of hurt. Is it enough to make him betray Nucky? I don't think so. I don't think he's given up on winning Nucky's approval, if not his love.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I dont think it's about 'love' but more about being accepted by him. Having faith.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4122078;
    Doesn't it make you wonder why Jimmy wants to hear those words from Nucky? I guess he felt that Nucky was more of a father to him than the one who basically ignored him until now. (Did the commodore even thank him for saving his life?) I wonder if it's really the three little words he wants, or the position as Nucky's next-in-command and heir to the throne of AC. I know the real Nucky didn't go to jail until much later, but I don't know if the show is going to fast-forward that far, and I thought they might want to include the jail time (or possibility thereof) more in the present. They're not following the real Nucky's life exactly. If the three plotters really wanted to get rid of Nucky, they could have him killed ... so maybe they prefer to just get him behind bars and take his little empire away while he's alive to know about their triumph (which I don't think is going to happen, either).
    How did Jimmy save his father's life?

He figured out that the commodore was being poisoned and ordered a hair test.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;4122208;
    He figured out that the commodore was being poisoned and ordered a hair test.
    I don't remember that. I thought the doctor took a hair sample because he wanted to run some additional tests, and that's when he discovered the arsenic. I don't remember Jimmy ordering it.

+ Reply to Thread