+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

FORT Fogey

Re: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Okay, 12 episodes to start with. Thanks for the heap of other details.

I don't know what station this will be aired on in Canada, if at all, but it will likely be on one that I won't pay for so it is already on my "To Purchase" list, along with all the other awesome shows that are on those same stations - Dexter, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men et al. Just as well, because I loooooove watching a series on DVD. Nothing like getting completely immersed in a world over the course of a snowy weekend with a fire going, sheepskin slippers on and a cup/glass of tea/G&T, depending on time of day.

Though quite honestly I would probably be buying this if the reviews were horrendous - I just cannot get enough of Mr. Buscemi.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

LOVED IT! I'm sold! Beautiful to look at and a great story! My only negative comment is that if they are going to be showing naked women then they should only use actresses that don't have implants! Maybe they're hard to find these days but I'm sure that they're out there!

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4064606;
    LOVED IT! I'm sold! Beautiful to look at and a great story! My only negative comment is that if they are going to be showing naked women then they should only use actresses that don't have implants! Maybe they're hard to find these days but I'm sure that they're out there!
    I sort of half-watched it while cooking and eating dinner. Was that the girl SB's character was having sex with - the "cowgirl"? I wasn't paying that much attention.

ITA - I hate when they do period pieces and hire actresses that have obviously had work done. It's one of the things I love about Mad Men - the women all have normal bodies and don't look like they've been at the gym 6 days a week. I was watching something recently (can't remember what) that was set several hundreds years ago and one of the actresses had majorly plucked eyebrows. It pulled me right out of the story.

I'm going to have to watch the episode again when I'm able to focus better. I did like what I saw though. I love Buscemi and Kelly MacDonald is always fantastic. I have to say, Michael Pitt has always creeped me out, even when he was on Dawson's Creek all those years ago. I'm not a HUGE Scorcese fan - the last thing he directed that I enjoyed was Gangs of New York and that was in spite of Leo DiCaprio and the horribly miscast Cameron Diaz.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4064609;
    I love Buscemi and Kelly MacDonald is always fantastic.
    They totally made me want to watch again. I've always thought Kelly MacDonald should have been a much bigger success since Trainspotting and she is awesome in this. Buscemi is, as always, great.

I'm so glad that the reviews were wrong. They said that the premiere was slow-moving, so I was expecting the Treme-level of snoozefest, which didn't happen. Things got going, and I'm looking forward to next week's episode.

I thought it was slow-moving through the first half, until the bad stuff started piling on Buscemi's shoulders and he went into motion, Michael Corleone-style.

I'm iffy on Boardwalk Empire so far. Obviously the production values are ridiculously good, but I wonder if the story itself will be as compelling. This period has already been covered many times, and in many creative ways. I think this show will end up about as successful as Carnivale instead of True Blood or The Sopranos. It costs a fortune to make, and Scorsese, Buscemi and Mark Wahlberg are all very busy men.

The cast is good, but I was disappointed with Michael Pitt. I thought he was a fish out of water trying to act in a period piece, and I didn't find his anguish over his WWI experiences very convincing. He's a really good/brave actor in other things, but I can think of a lot of other actors who they could have cast in the role instead.

It may take a few episodes for the show to hit its stride for me, but I'll keep watching for now. Maybe if they hadn't hyped this show to death as the Next! Big! Thing!, I wouldn't have placed my expectations quite so high.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Yes, the "cowgirl" looked, to me, like she had implants! "Gangs of New York" was a fantastic movie and I always like it when I get a bit of a history lesson in movie form. One of my favorite Scorsese films is "The Age of Innocence". It's one of those movies that I can watch over and over again.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I was totally captivated. Loved everything about it: costumes, scenery, music (the real Sophie Tucker!)... loved the cast (especially Jimmy), and that sense of "going back in time" that good historical fiction can impart. Could have done without Nucky's sex scene (would have preferred one featuring Jimmy, haha).

A couple of critics have said the first few episodes seemed slow moving, and that the series might require a little patience. Personally, I liked the balance between the action and the story development. If this is going to be a half-Sopranos/half-Deadwwod hybrid, I'm totally onboard. Can't wait for the next episode.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4064606;
    That reminds me of some gossip I heard a year or so back. When they were (are) filming the Pirates of the Caribean movies, they have to put out a specific casting call for full figured girls without implants to play the tavern wenches. The implants don't look correct in the blouses. It took longer to cast those "parts" (tee hee) than any others in the movie because so many girls in LA have implants.
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4064679;
    I was totally captivated. Loved everything about it: costumes, scenery, music (the real Sophie Tucker!)... loved the cast (especially Jimmy), and that sense of "going back in time" that good historical fiction can impart. Could have done without Nucky's sex scene (would have preferred one featuring Jimmy, haha).

A couple of critics have said the first few episodes seemed slow moving, and that the series might require a little patience. Personally, I liked the balance between the action and the story development. If this is going to be a half-Sopranos/half-Deadwwod hybrid, I'm totally onboard. Can't wait for the next episode.
    Perfect to say half-Sopranos/ half-Deadwood!

+ Reply to Thread