+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Re: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4112320;
    I think we are watching Van Alden completely unravel. First there was his inappropriate visit to Margaret's home, then the secuction of Lucy.
    That visit to Margaret's house was just weird. I didn't think he'd actually cross that line, having been content with his little self-flagellation routine. And what was all that after his romp with Lucy? Was it regret? It's hard to tell when this guy is happy, he looks like he's in pain when he smiles.

He's definitely losing it.

How many more episodes, two? That's depressing.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

FORT Fogey

Anyone have thoughts on the purpose of the character who has to wear a mask on half his face? Is his name Harrell, or Harold? Seems there would have to be a reason for introducing him (other than Jimmy using him to kill the guy who maimed Pearl) and now placing him in Margaret's home. Nucky could have hired anyone to be a bodyguard there. I guess that's his function ... although I found it peculiar that he wasn't right on the spot when Margaret opened the door for Van Alden. If she just opens the door when anyone knocks (not knowing who's on the other side), someone with evil intent could burst in and kill her before a bodyguard who's hanging out elsewhere in the house could get there to prevent it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I was waiting for Van Alden to kill Lucy after they had sex, thus kicking off a serial killer storyline but, alas, I was disappointed. He's strange enough to be a serial killer, no problem.

And Harrow, the disfigured guy with the mask, was johnny-on-the-spot when Van Alden came to see Margaret, but he quickly and easily left shortly after his arrival. I thought that was strange, too. I guess he was taking his cue from Margaret, since she did not seem to be disturbed that Van Alden was there.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

The way I remembered it was Harrow stuck his head into the room after Margaret had already let Van Alden into the house, but maybe I'm wrong.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Yeah, it's like he checked to see who it was and the situation.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I'm just saying, if he's there to be a bodyguard because of a legitimate threat perceived by Nucky, as soon as someone knocks on the door, he should be right there with his hand on his gun BEFORE the door is opened, not just sticking his head out to peep casually around the corner from another room after the guy is already inside.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I just got done watching it tonight and, despite all the other plot movements, I seriously want to know WTH is up with Van Alden. First Lucy last week and then this week's river-side secen (trying not to spoiler for west coasters). The man in unhinged! Michael Shannon does an excellent job with that, but this line of character development perplexes me.

Unhinged is right! Van Alden obviously was suspicious of the other agent's story about the prisoner (can't remember his name!), but I never thought he'd outright kill the guy. How on earth is he going to explain this one?

And maybe I'm dense, but who was trying to poison the Commodore?

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;4116448;
    Unhinged is right! Van Alden obviously was suspicious of the other agent's story about the prisoner (can't remember his name!), but I never thought he'd outright kill the guy. How on earth is he going to explain this one?

And maybe I'm dense, but who was trying to poison the Commodore?
    GIllian has been poisoning the Commodore's food with arsenic. "Paris Green" is the brand name on the arsenic bottle Jimmy discovered in the trash can at the Commo0dore's house. Jimmy also becomes violently ill after eating one of the cookies Gillian brought, so he has the doctor do a hair test on the Commodore, confirming his suspicion.

To me, the story of Gillian, the Commordore, and Jimmy is even more unsettling that Van Alden's descent into madness. The Commodore sees her perform at age 13 and gets Nucky to "procure" her for him. He leaves her, a 13 year old girl, pregnant and instructs Nucky to look after her and the child. I found myself wishing Gillian had succeeded in killing him.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Ah, okay. Thanks, Poppy Fields! That's what happens when I try to decorate the Christmas tree and watch tv at the same time.

I wonder why Gillian waited so long? It wouldn't have bothered me if she had succeeded, either.

+ Reply to Thread