+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Re: Boardwalk Empire on HBO

I also found this scene a bit gratuitous and longer than necessary. I have watched this episode several times and the conversation between the two women referenced Nucky having seen them together. Angela says that Nucky didn't get to be where he is by being a fool or naive or something like that. She says that he suspects something and brings up the fact that he is giving her money. I assume that he is doing it because he made Jimmy leave Atlantic City. He has a close relationship with both Gillian and Jimmy, so it would make sense that he would want to take care of Angela and the child.

Her lover then mentions someone in Greenwich Village who has shown interest in her artwork, bringing up the possibility of moving and finding more lucrative opportunities and getting away from Atlantic City and any suspicions about them.

I have to believe that this can only end badly. This was something that was totally unacceptable in 1920. I am wondering if somehow Jimmy will find out. We also saw Jimmy sending money to Angela in this episode, but she didn't appear to have received it. Gillian either learned from Nucky about the two of them, or was just smart enough to figure it out for herself. Now I finally understand why she offered to take care of the child and mentioned Angela's "bohemian" lifestyle. I guess that was the code word for lesbianism.

I would think that Angela could lose her son over something like this. What if Jimmy finds out? He thought she was having an affair with the photographer! This is even worse.

I do love this show and am thrilled that it's being covered by this site. I have been dying to find a place to chat about it. I am utterly hooked on it!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4097769;
    Have I mentioned how much I L-O-V-E, love, love, love, love this show? I do! I love it! I wish that I could sit and watch it with ALL of you! Let's have a "convention" for the last show!
    At the end of each episode, I find myself wishing it was two hours long instead of one! It seems to end too fast. We're about halfway through the 12 episodes now, right?

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

The more I think about it, I think the scene with Mary was the initial reeling in of Angela's character arc. She will soon be gone, perhaps off somewhere with Mary. Coupling her with a lesbian lover also serves to negate Jimmy's suspicions about Tommy's paternity.

I think I mentioned somewhere upthread that Angela has a pretty short lifespan on the show, according to IMDB. Tommy's is longer. There is an actor listed for the young Tommy, and an older one.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4098404;
    The more I think about it, I think the scene with Mary was the initial reeling in of Angela's character arc. She will soon be gone, perhaps off somewhere with Mary. Coupling her with a lesbian lover also serves to negate Jimmy's suspicions about Tommy's paternity.

I think I mentioned somewhere upthread that Angela has a pretty short lifespan on the show, according to IMDB. Tommy's is longer. There is an actor listed for the young Tommy, and an older one.

Do you think that Gilllian and Nucky will take Tommy from Angela? Or will Jimmy when/if he finds out about her? She doesn't have the right to just run off with Jimmy's son. Maybe she will decide to take Gillian up on her offer and leave him with her.

I didn't realize that Angela has a short lifespan on the show. I sometimes check out IMDB, but somehow missed that info.

Quote Originally Posted by Nativenewyorker;4098500;
    Do you think that Gilllian and Nucky will take Tommy from Angela? Or will Jimmy when/if he finds out about her? She doesn't have the right to just run off with Jimmy's son. Maybe she will decide to take Gillian up on her offer and leave him with her.

I didn't realize that Angela has a short lifespan on the show. I sometimes check out IMDB, but somehow missed that info.
    I think either could happen? Or, she could skip town with Mary and Tommy, and Nucky/Jimmy will track her down? Can't wait to see what happens!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4098720;
    I think either could happen? Or, she could skip town with Mary and Tommy, and Nucky/Jimmy will track her down? Can't wait to see what happens!

What will happen if Nucky does stop giving her money, as she fears? Also, I think that Gillian definitely knows what's going on with Angela. Whether Nucky told her what he saw, or she just figured it out given that she is in closer proximity to Angela and is perceptive and observant, we don't know. That scene in which Gillian offers to raise the child, was significant to me. At the time I could not for the life of me, understand what was going on. I thought that there was a real undercurrent of tension between Gillian and Angela. Gillian has a way of speaking softly, but carrying a big stick, to use an old quote about Teddy Roosevelt. There is a kind of steely edge to her. This woman is no fool.

I thought she was letting Angela know that she is on to her. Maybe she wanted to test the waters and see how she would respond to her offer to bring up the child. If Angela doesn't give him up willingly, then he could easily be taken from her.

If Jimmy does find out, there is no way that he wouldn't go to hell and back to get his son.

So many surprises in this last episode!

War comes to AC while Nucky's in Chicago for the convention. Nucky gives the Senator a finely timed piece of payback. Nucky and Jimmy reunite - sort of. Jimmy compares himself to Nucky's long lost son (which, of course, we think he might be). We also learn that Nucky did have a son who died. (Last week we learned his wife's name was Mabel - bits and pieces of his past are emerging).

Back in AC, Margaret slaps Lucy in the face! WTG, Margaret. Angela's broke and I begin to think that Gillian's nicking the cash from Jimmy out of Angela's mailbox. But, no! It's actually one of Van Alden's minions. Van Alden mails all of the confiscated money to Angela anonymously. But, Angela thinks Jimmy has cut her off without a word or a care. Wonder where she thinks the cash came from? And Margaret, upon reading Nucky's ledger (which he asked her not open), has learned some things she can never unlearn.

And who knew that Warren Harding wrote really bad erotic poetry?

I love "Boardwalk Empire". What really engages me, especially in this last episode: is that this show could very easily mirror what is happening in our era.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Once again....here comes a "correct me if I am wrong"......but didn't Van Alden send Angela's confiscated money to his wife for surgery that she wants to have to improve her fertility? He said that he couldn't afford it on his salary. She counted the money, bent over and cried....IIRC. What I did not understand was her hearing him say (in her head), about they should hope that God will give them a child, and that they should just wait for that....yet he had sent her the money. Or so I thought. Straighten me out, Poppy.

And I thought that overly-long lesbian love scene in the last episode was
    g-r-o-s-s! Waaaay too much for me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Van Alden sent the money to Angela. He sent his wife the letter saying they should hope that God would give them a child.

+ Reply to Thread