+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Big C ~ Showtime

The Big C ~ Showtime

Laura Linney as Cathy Jamison. Cathy is a high school teacher who, at the start of the series, had been recently diagnosed with cancer. She begins to reshape her life, kicks her husband out of the house, wants to build a pool in the yard.
    Oliver Platt as Paul Jamison, Cathy's husband. Paul is immature and was kicked out of the family home because Cathy is sick of looking after him.
    John Benjamin Hickey as Sean, Cathy's brother. Sean is an eccentric environmentalist who regularly protests about climate change.
    3 episodes in and this is a fantastic show! Some really hilarious lines too.

"you can't be fat and mean, so pick one"

"I've seen my brother's penis, please shoot me in the eye"

Laura Linney is fantastic as is Oliver Platt. Cathy, faced with her own mortality, is taking back her life and saying exactly what she thinks. I love this show! Anyone else watching?
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Re: The Big C ~ Showtime

I don't subscribe to pay channels, but I'll definitely rent this one, as I do most HBO and Showtime series, when it comes out on DVD. I have great appreciation for the acting ability of both Laura Linney and Oliver Platt.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I like this show a lot! It is funny and serious at the same time. I wish she would tell someone other than her creepy neighbor lady that she has cancer though.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I agree buglover, but it's nothing like Breaking Bad - that show is just so dark.
    I like the relationship she has with her young doctor "you've got a great rack" lmao
    I think her neighbour is growing on her. Florimel I think you'd really like this series.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

There's no doubt in my mind that I'll like it, Duxxy. It's already saved in my Netflix queue.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I love this show! I am still wondering what they will do for another season since she only has a little time to live though.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I've watched two episodes and love this show. They could drag out the show for more seasons by having her go into remission. They did that on Breaking Bad, as a poster mentioned above. Not sure if that is possible with her type of cancer.

The one thing that bothers me is that she and the man playing her husband do not seem well matched IMO. Nothing against the guy, but I could never see them together in real life. I think they could have cast that role better.

I could use a full hour of this show. Very funny IMO.

I'm really liking this show so much more now than when it first started. At first the show really depressed me and made me sad about personal things that have happened in my life, but what I've noticed though is that as sad as The Big C is, I really have fallen in love with these characters and no matter how depressing I still never go an episode without laughing REALLY hard.

I do agree that she really doesn't seem to have chemistry with the man who plays her husband. For me the scenes with him talking about how in love they once were and how they should keep their marriage together are the weakest points of the show. I can't really tell if we are supposed to be rooting for them to stay together or not because for me he just doesn't seem to be her type nor does he seem to really make her happy. To me he seems like a pain and someone that would just drive her up a wall.

I have nothing but rave reviews for everyone else in the cast though. Especially the woman who plays her widowed next door neighbor.....she cracks me up!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Medallion;4091734;
    I'm really liking this show so much more now than when it first started. At first the show really depressed me and made me sad about personal things that have happened in my life, but what I've noticed though is that as sad as The Big C is, I really have fallen in love with these characters and no matter how depressing I still never go an episode without laughing REALLY hard.

I do agree that she really doesn't seem to have chemistry with the man who plays her husband. For me the scenes with him talking about how in love they once were and how they should keep their marriage together are the weakest points of the show. I can't really tell if we are supposed to be rooting for them to stay together or not because for me he just doesn't seem to be her type nor does he seem to really make her happy. To me he seems like a pain and someone that would just drive her up a wall.

I have nothing but rave reviews for everyone else in the cast though. Especially the woman who plays her widowed next door neighbor.....she cracks me up!!!!

I agree. I don't see her and her husband together either. He seems to annoy her greatly and I can see why. I know you need your family by you in times of turmoil, but she also deserves some happiness before she leaves the earth. Maybe adultery is wrong, but I say it's great that she had some real passion and joy with her recent lover. She connected with the lover on a much deeper level than just sex. It was like she has been emotionally starved for awhile. I was kind of surprised she went to church and asked for forgiveness for it.

What state is the show set?

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I love Showtime, but I think "The Big C" is a confusing, over-the-top, narcissistic mess. I've been watching since August and really don't see any point besides the "have fun while you're dying" theme? Find yourself at the end before it's too late? I don't know. It's a little too shallow, and a lot too glib.

Anyone who's survived cancer is probably overwhelmed by the barf factor on this show. I know I am. I think this show has "jumped the shark," and I think Laura Linney deserves a better vehicle. In fact, all of the actors do.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast