+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Big C ~ Showtime

Re: The Big C ~ Showtime

Hey Poppy Fields,
    I haven't had cancer, so I can't say how I would react to the show if I had. I do think the show is definitely not for everyone. Showtime has a certain style to their series shows. You can see it with Californication, Weeds, Nurse Jackie, etc.

Showtime pushes the envelope very far, perhaps too far with their programing. They tackle issues like professional women having affairs, stealing, and being a drug addict. They have a show about a serial killer you are supposed to like. They have a show about a drug dealing, pot smoking mother of three. Most of the shows are quite daring and insulting to some people. I don't think the Big C is any different in that respect. I can see why some viewers might not like it. I will say that I think Laura Linny is just great in this role.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Debb - As I said, I do love Showtime (hooked on Dexter, Nurse Jackie, Californication - adored Dead Like Me) and appreciate its dark humor. The Big C, however, does not strike me as funny... just stupid I think Weeds was great for the first couple of seasons, but has jumped off a similar cliff. Just my opinion.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4092209;
    Debb - As I said, I do love Showtime (hooked on Dexter, Nurse Jackie, Californication - adored Dead Like Me) and appreciate its dark humor. The Big C, however, does not strike me as funny... just stupid I think Weeds was great for the first couple of seasons, but has jumped off a similar cliff. Just my opinion.

Well, I'm with you on Weeds. That show has gone over the edge for sure. I will say that I do just love The Big C, though. It really makes me laugh. The problem with the storyline is that if they continue on track, they can't have many seasons because the lead character will die. I suspect they may put her into remission. I'm not sure about the details of her cancer since I missed the very first episodes.

Going through what I am with my own son, I cry alot during this show but I laugh at the interaction between the characters. The old lady neighbor is my favorite and she's good for a laugh and a half!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Here's the thing about cancer: the only thing that really matters when you are facing death are your relationships - everything else is reduced to irrelevancy. I'm not getting this with Cathy. Maybe I'm missing something important? Certainly humor, even dark humor, has its place in this scenario. But, you don't cut cords. You do not write people off.

I say this as a survivor of endometrial cancer. You mend bridges. You consolidate. You strive to repair what has been broken. I guess what I dislike about "The Big C" is the diimninuization of these inherent truths.

And, Bug, I totally get the humor. Godspeed.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I get the impression that Cathy is kind of in denial. She knows she will die yet still can't figure out how to tell anyone who loves her. She claims to not want anyone to feel sorry for her, but I think it is part of her stiff attitude. What I get from the people in her life, she's had a stick up her you know what for all the years they have known her. The selfish things she has done were for herself to feel she could do them... I get the feeling she is regretting being that way now. She has tried so hard to pretend to be normal that she has become a different person from what she used to be. I'll keep watching for sure. When my mother was told she had stage 4+ ovarian cancer and would never leave the hospital, she pushed all of us away. She kept saying she would be leaving, she would go home and work from there, her hair needed to be done...etc. Every person handles things differently. My son wanted to just go to Disneyland with his girlfriend for 4 days when he found out...
    Yup, with donuts!!

There are a few things about this story that have rendered it unwatchable for me. The first is it's glibness: she has refused treatment. What the hell is that about? She doesn't want her loved ones to know??? Then why did she just tell her brother?

We are led to believe that she lived a very buttoned-downed life prior to her diagnosis, but we see no evidence of this at all, no conflict. How could the people who love her not notice the change in her?

Her whole metamorphosis smacks more of middle-age crisis to me than the personal trauma of the diagnosis of terminal cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4093021;
    There are a few things about this story that have rendered it unwatchable for me. The first is it's glibness: she has refused treatment. What the hell is that about? She doesn't want her loved ones to know??? Then why did she just tell her brother?

We are led to believe that she lived a very buttoned-downed life prior to her diagnosis, but we see no evidence of this at all, no conflict. How could the people who love her not notice the change in her?

Her whole metamorphosis smacks more of middle-age crisis to me than the personal trauma of the diagnosis of terminal cancer.

Whoa! I didn't see the first few episodes so I didn't know she refused treatment. That's bizarre. Just one episode ago, she was all upset because she was not accepted into a clinical trial her doctor had recommended. She told him to keep trying to get her into a trial. So, I thought she did want help.

That was so NOT COOL!!! I haven't cried this hard since I found out my own son had cancer. I never thought they would do that to my favorite character!!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;4100963;
    That was so NOT COOL!!! I haven't cried this hard since I found out my own son had cancer. I never thought they would do that to my favorite character!!!
    Are you talking about the neighbor lady who took her life? That WAS sad. She was such a great character. I was looking forward to some great scenes with her and the new romance interest.

Very sad.

I do think the boy's father handled it very badly. He should have refused to leave the property until the firearm was located. IMO it was VERY foreseeable that she would take her own life.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast