+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huge

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Huge

This is on tonight (Monday) at 9pm on AMC Family--not sure if that is the regular time or just the first show.
    It's about a camp for overweight teens, starring Nikki Blonsky, playing a much more "difficult" character than the one she did in Hairspray. It's gotten excellent reviews, and I'd love to watch it, but we don't get that channel. So I'm hoping someone else does and is interested, and keeps me up to date on how it goes!

Re: Huge

The show preview looks pretty good. Nikki was on The View promoting the show.

I forgot to check it out. I'm not sure which channel AMC Family is. I think I have all the channels, but not sure if my area carries this. I'll check it and post if I can.

I tried to watch, but it just didn't keep my interest. I'm not a fan of Nikki Blonsky and don't find her to be a very good actress. She just feels a bit too "high school drama class" for me. I love Winnie Holzman and loved my so-called life and Once and Again, so I really wanted to like this one, but....meh.

PWS - I'd check hulu or similar sites - I'll bet it's available online
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think the concept is a good one - and it's about time overweight people get a show other than that awful "fat" Batchelor and "Biggest Loser" that treats them with respect. Having struggled with weight my entire life, I've hated the idea that ultra thin is the only way to be healthy. I know lots of people who are a little overweight who eat healthy, get exercise regularly but stay a little heavy yet they have healthy hearts, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. Anyway, that being said, I liked the idea that "Huge" seemed to promote that regardless of size, a person should be okay with their bodies. Nikki Blonsky's character kept saying she didn't want to lose weight because she likes herself and her body. However, in general, I found the show very boring. Hayley Hasselhoff's character was the most interesting character, and that's not saying a whole lot. While I loved Blonsky in "Hairspray", I'm not sure she has the acting chops and charisma to carry an entire show. Last night's show was only the first, so hopefully they will develop the other supporting characters and make us care in the next few episodes, otherwise, I'll find something else to watch.

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3955031;
    The show preview looks pretty good. Nikki was on The View promoting the show.

I forgot to check it out. I'm not sure which channel AMC Family is. I think I have all the channels, but not sure if my area carries this. I'll check it and post if I can.
    That was just a typo. It's on ABC Family. If you have dish or a decent cable package, you have it.

I really disliked Nikki's character. I was actually excited for this show and I was a bit disappointed. I'll watch it a few more times to see if I can get into it. The Hoff's daughter is really pretty. I'd like to see the story between her and the activities guy develop further.
    Wake up and be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;3961645;
    I really disliked Nikki's character. I was actually excited for this show and I was a bit disappointed. I'll watch it a few more times to see if I can get into it. The Hoff's daughter is really pretty. I'd like to see the story between her and the activities guy develop further.
    I didn't like her either, which is kind of bad, since I think she's supposed to be sympathetic! I also don't think Nikki's a strong enough actress to carry a show and I've never really found her very appealing. I've read reviews saying the same thing - that she just can't carry a show.

I appreciate the message of the show, but they needed a better lead actress. ITA - the Hoff's daughter is very pretty and isn't a bad actress either. Maybe they should have given her the lead!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;3961645;
    That was just a typo. It's on ABC Family. If you have dish or a decent cable package, you have it.

Ooops! Sorry about the typo! And am appreciating the comments since apparently I don't have a decent cable package! On purpose actually--I watch too much TV as it is....

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I won't even try this show.

Plus-sized myself, I just don't care for shows that make being big/fat/whateveryouwanttocallit "special" or the sole reason for being "interesting" (read interesting as "subject to narrow scrutiny").

No thanks. I'd rather watch a show that incorporates people of all sizes - and then doesn't make their size an issue. Even Mimi's weight on The Drew Carey Show" wasn't as central to her character as her makeup and overall attitude.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, one review I read said that the teens at the camp were plus sized but ALSO had other "issues"...
    I agree about Mimi... it wasn't all about her size at all. Not that Drew Carey could be one to talk!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have grown to love this show! Wil's character is dark and defiant. I also find the guys interesting, and I am glad that they are giving them storylines. The woman who runs the camp....now I can't quite get what she's all about. I look forward to Monday evenings! I take it that I am the cheese who "stands alone".
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast