+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010 Daytime Emmys

Re: 2010 Daytime Emmys

So with the Emmy win for The Doctors, I think this is the only time we'll ever see someone from the Bach franchise (Travis Stork) on the Emmy stage....at least in that context!

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but does it sound weird to anyone else when they announce the acting nominees by saying "[actor's name] IN [show name]"? It just seems like it should be ON the show, not IN it. For me, an actor is IN a movie and ON a TV show. I know, totally nitpicking

Sad for ATWT fans, although I think that, if I was a fan, I'd be ticked off over that tribute done on the awards show aired on CBS...the network that canceled the show. It was a nice tribute, don't get me wrong, but it seemed a bit insincere considering the circumstances.

Now that I know who all the winners are (and there's only one major one from any show I watch), I probably won't watch the rest of the show. Did they do a tribute to James Mitchell and the actress who played Alice on DOOL? Maybe I'll keep watching for that.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Now that you mention it, they didn't do any 'in memoriam' but maybe no on significant from daytime passed this year I don't watch ATWT but thought the tribute was kind of crappy. It seemed more a thrown together at the last minute because we have to. First Guiding Light, now World, so I'm sure soap fans aren't thrilled there. My mom is a Young & the Restless fan so she's still got her fave. I know a lot of critics basically said CBS was the reason the show's were getting cancelled because they ended up making them such poor quality, cut key characters and actors, and then said their was a decline in viewership. Michael Parks mentioned Canandaigua, which isn't too far from where I think, but I thought it was odd he'd thank CBS. Why thank the network that put your show in the toilet. Anyone know what they'll be replacing World with? I guess unlike network TV they don't just pull the plug without warning, without a proper send off, and mid story line.

I remember when the awards were shown on ABC, it seemed like their shows dominated the event in everything. The telecast had a fresher appeal to it, I'll give it that, but parts of it just seemed like two segments clashing because they accidentally got onstage at the same time. And when Vanessa Marcil came onstage, her intro for the best actor in a drama was odd. What was it, a simple 'these guys who are nominated deserve it'.

Loved Wayne Brady almost revealing the winner without revealing the nominees first (I think his category was writing), though I think we'll blame Cirque being on the stage with him And I guess Regis couldn't think of better plugs for introducing Cameron and Kelly then bringing up their dancing days.

And did they cut categories out of the program? It seemed like stuff was missing.

No, some MAJOR actors on daytime passed this year - James Mitchell (Palmer on AMC) and Frances Reid (Alice on Days) both died this year. I'm surprised they didn't do some sort of tribute because they were the patriarch and matriarch of their respective shows. Maybe they didn't have time because they devoted so much to that (sorry) bloated Dick Clark tribute. Not to be rude, I mean, I grew up watching American Bandstand, but I didn't need to see all that. It went on forever. For me, that show was not the place for a big, long tribute to him. Give him a show of his own the way AFI does for film people.

Anyway, I didn't watch the second half. Once Julie Berman won and I knew no other actors won from my shows, I tuned out. I can only take so much of Seacrest.

Call me cynical if you want, but I happen to think ATWT won more awards this time because it's going off the air. Not that those actors aren't good, but it feels like sentimentality to me.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I've always thought that the Daytime Emmy's had more politics and favoritism associated with it, but that could be because it doesn't get the buzz the other awards shows do. Not to say I don't think there's politics with any awards show, but usually the predictions give away who wins anyway. But I wasn't surprised to see ATWT wins. I know Crystal Chappelle kind of became a breakout star of Guiding Light (I hadn't watched that show in years; when I stopped watching her character hadn't been on very long) so I was somewhat surprised Maura West beat her in that category.

That's really a slap in the face to those actors, the fans, and the show's they were associated with. I thought Dick Clark was going to receive the Lifetime Achievement award or some other big honor of the night, so that's why I thought they did the tribute. But as nice as that was (and loved Chubby Checker pulling Susan Lucci onstage to dance with him-but goodness does she look thin), it, too, looked like they just grabbed random acts that were in the lobby and pushed them onstage. Could just be I dislike anything involving Seacrest. There was a lot of promotional filler for the city, which I get, but on the other hand it's not like Las Vegas is some secret hidden gem that no one knows how wonderful it is. Did they really have to waste time showing Cheech & Chong in the cab getting pulled over by Erik Estrada? And I think the two performances of The Lion King and Cirque took up too much time. It was a good show, and I can see the angle of wanting to get hip and fresh, but a lot of it just looked messy in the end. The David Copperfield bit was pointless.

ETA: and the backstage segments looked like some 5th grade project.

I missed most of the show. I was surprised The Doctors won. I guess they try, but I have seen them drop the ball several times on medical questions. Honestly, they don't know that much on lots of things. Has anyone else noticed that? Expecially the female doctor and the young guy who used to be a Bachelor. The others are much better.

I wonder why they didn't do a tribute to the older, dead actors either. I heard that Nancy Hughes (character's name), matriarch on ATWT died a couple of weeks ago. So sad. She had been on since it was on the radio days!

I ran across a website with the worst dressed at the event. (I can't locate it now.) I was shocked! Man some of them needed a fashion citation! LOL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12