+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hot in Cleveland

Hot in Cleveland

Did anyone catch this show? It got pretty bad reviews but I had to check it out anyway... it has such a great cast: Betty White, Wendy Malick, Valerie Bertanelli and Jane Leeves. I actually thought it was pretty funny and I enjoyed it - although my standards tend to slack a bit in the summer I guess It was definitely 80's sitcom style, and I could have done without the laugh track. Still though, it was amusing enough to keep me entertained for half an hour when nothing much else was on, and I"ll probably tune in next week.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Re: Hot in Cleveland

Thanks for posting this! I forgot it was starting tonight. I just set a reminder for tonight's episode. You know, I like everyone in this show, but a laugh track? I HAAAATE laugh tracks, especially the super fake ones. I'm going to watch anyway because of the cast, but I'd be happy if they got rid of the laugh track. I don't think ANY show needs one.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I didn't realize it was on tonight.... I like all the cast members so would have liked to have checked it out.

I did watch it and I enjoyed it. It's not the best ever, but it's the perfect summertime show. And I did laugh quite a bit through out it.

It was cute and it has potential. I didn't laugh out loud until BW came on though.

I really liked the show. I thought it was well written and the actors are all so great. Many years of comedy acting between the 4 of them. One of the ladies was on Frazier as the housekeeper. She is really funny IMO.

I could swear I saw at the beginning of the show that it was recorded in front of a live audience. I'll have to recheck that.

I don't care what the critics say. Maybe I have poor taste in comedy because I don't get into some of the shows that at the top. I'm sure they are amusing to some people, but not me.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3937828;

I don't care what the critics say. Maybe I have poor taste in comedy because I don't get into some of the shows that at the top.
    Nor do I. Still trying to figure out the appeal behind Big Bang Theory.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;3937913;
    Nor do I. Still trying to figure out the appeal behind Big Bang Theory.
    That's funny. I haven't watched it, so I can't say I don't like it, but the title doesn't interest me. LOL.

I have tried to watch The Office, 30 Rock, Modern Family, and Glee. 30 Rock and Modern Family were mildly amusing, but they still just didn't get my full attention. I love to laugh, but just don't find much funny on tv. I do like The Soup. (It makes fun of tv scenes from the previous week.) That show cracks me up! I also like Californication on Showtime.

I find that I laugh harder at shows that don't intend to be funny, like Toddlers and Tiaras, The Little Couple, Little People Big World, etc. Oh, I saw a VERY funny show recently. It's about a Dog Grooming Contest in CA. They have to color and cut the poodle. They use all kinds of wild ideas and designs. One groomer made her poodle a buffaloe, one a camel, one a roller derby chick, one a lion. It was sooooooo funny. It came on TLC. Check it out. It was so crazy that I felt like an idiot watching it, but it was a scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;3937430;
    Did anyone catch this show? It got pretty bad reviews but I had to check it out anyway... it has such a great cast: Betty White, Wendy Malick, Valerie Bertanelli and Jane Leeves. I actually thought it was pretty funny and I enjoyed it - although my standards tend to slack a bit in the summer I guess It was definitely 80's sitcom style, and I could have done without the laugh track. Still though, it was amusing enough to keep me entertained for half an hour when nothing much else was on, and I"ll probably tune in next week.
    I watched it. It was only 30 minutes so I decided to give it a try. I thought it was pretty funny and BW really makes you laugh. I am not sure if I will continue to watch it.

Does TVLAND come in HD ... ??? I watched it not in HD and the quality was awful esp for 2010.

Valerie was on the Today Show and she stated that they practice their lines all week and film it in front of a live audience every Friday night. So I do not think they had a laugh track.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;3938004;
    I watched it. It was only 30 minutes so I decided to give it a try. I thought it was pretty funny and BW really makes you laugh. I am not sure if I will continue to watch it.

Does TVLAND come in HD ... ??? I watched it not in HD and the quality was awful esp for 2010.

Valerie was on the Today Show and she stated that they practice their lines all week and film it in front of a live audience every Friday night. So I do not think they had a laugh track.
    Thanks. I thought I read it was live. Also, you are right about the quality of the picture. VERY bad. I'm afraid that might hurt the show. Could it be they don't want high def because of the age of the ladies? Not trying to be snarky, but I recall when Regis and Kelly went high def. I thought Kelly was going to have a cow. She was so self -conscious about it. They had to adjust their lighting to keep her from looking too bad and she's not even old.

I think they would have done better if a more current network would have taken them on with a more elaborate set and lighting. I guess they did the best they could. From what I have heard, most women over 40 are treated terribly in Hollywood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast