+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hot in Cleveland

Re: Hot in Cleveland

I had never heard of this until I saw a commercial for it the other day. I like all the actresses in it and you guys seem to like so I guess I'll have to check it out

I don't really care for 30 Rock or The Office or those type of shows either, but I do love Big Bang Theory, mostly because my brother is just like Sheldon Maybe it's funnier if you actually know people like that.

In spite of the stellar cast, I thought the first few episodes showed the strain of "trying too hard to be funny." While I think Wendie Malick and Betty White are very funny, the other two character's are not too well written or acted. I've never thought much of Bertinelli's acting chops but expected more from Leeves, however, she can only do so much with the material written for her. I also think the tone of the show in regards to the midwest in general is rather condescending. Is the idea supposed to be that there are no young "hot" women in Cleveland? Sorry, I know that's not true. I'll keep watching a few more weeks before I decide if this is one to keep on my viewing schedule. I always want to give a show a chance unlike some of the networks...cough, ABC, NBC.

Quote Originally Posted by lark37;3955553;
    Is the idea supposed to be that there are no young "hot" women in Cleveland?

See I took it the other way... that by Los Angeles standards these women were washed up old hags and therefore 'not worthy' when they get stranded in middle america where we 'normal' people live they are considered what they actually are...young-ish and hot. They keep making comparisons between LA and Cleveland and Cleveland keeps coming out on top. Which is why they will all decided to stay. it's cute but I do have to agree, these first few shows have been trying to hard, they really, really want us to like them and think they are funny. They need to have fun and forget the desperation and I think they will shine.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3957414;
    See I took it the other way... that by Los Angeles standards these women were washed up old hags and therefore 'not worthy' when they get stranded in middle america where we 'normal' people live they are considered what they actually are...young-ish and hot. They keep making comparisons between LA and Cleveland and Cleveland keeps coming out on top. Which is why they will all decided to stay.
    Yes, that is the point of the show. Over-the-hill and undesirable in LA, but Hot in Cleveland.

Besides the cast, I was especially interested as I'm an Ohio gal. Always had to watch the Drew Carey Show. I really enjoy Hot in Cleveland! And last night's show with Carl Reiner had some very funny moments! I had more than a few belly laughs.

I also wanted to weigh in as a big fan of Big Bang Theory and Modern Family. Those are my two favorite sitcoms.

I agree with Buckeye Addict as to the premise of the show.
    I also find it a lot funnier than most of the scripted comedies on TV nowadays.
    I loved seeing Carl Reiner last night. He and Betty were very funny together.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3958706;
    Yes, that is the point of the show. Over-the-hill and undesirable in LA, but Hot in Cleveland.

Besides the cast, I was especially interested as I'm an Ohio gal. Always had to watch the Drew Carey Show. I really enjoy Hot in Cleveland! And last night's show with Carl Reiner had some very funny moments! I had more than a few belly laughs.

I also wanted to weigh in as a big fan of Big Bang Theory and Modern Family. Those are my two favorite sitcoms.
    Yup. I agree with youse!

Going downtown has a whole new meaning, now!!!

I love the writing and nuances on this show. Hope it makes it.

Saw Valerie on a William Shatner "Raw Nerve" the night before, so it was especially poignant. She's a very talented actress.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3959099;
    ...I loved seeing Carl Reiner last night. He and Betty were very funny together.
    When I saw Carl Reiner come in, I knew that the scenes between him and Betty White would be hilarious -- and they were the highlight.

I like watching this show; LOVE Betty White -- but the writing and directing falls a bit short. I think Leeves, Malick, and Bertinelli could do better with scripts and direction that don't throw them into "cliché-ville." (White is exceptional with her ability to turn what she's given into gold. Reiner, too.) Bertinelli, especially her facial expressions, is just an older Barbara Cooper on this show. Is that her only comic character?

For me, this show is perfect for the middle of a demanding work week, where I want laughs that I don't have to think about.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I got an email update for tonight. CTV is showing this in place of Hiccups. It will be the premiere episode. Yay!!!!
    So live that anyone speaking ill of you is branded a liar

CCL

^ I saw the premiere episode tonight on CTV ...not impressed. It was all very forced. I had high hopes as I like all of the actresses, but I doubt I'll watch a second episode.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I saw a second episode and love it! I was laughing out loud and that dosen't happen often. It was the episode about them going on blind dates. LOL

It's definitely designed for a certain group of viewers. I pray the show continues to get good ratings.

+ Reply to Thread