+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pillars of the Earth (Starz)

The Pillars of the Earth (Starz)

We've talked a little about this one in the Books forum, but since the show premieres next month, I thought I'd bring the discussion over here.
    This epic tale of passion and greed begins when a mysterious secret disrupts the succession to the English crown and an unlikely member of King Henry’s family takes the throne. A power struggle between Henry’s daughter, Maud, and nephew, Stephen, causes England to be torn by war as battles rage for the rightful heir. Meanwhile, Bishop Waleran Bigod and the Hamleigh family manipulate the conflict to satisfy their own ruthless ambitions. Within this tumultuous setting, Prior Philip fights insurmountable obstacles to keep Kingsbridge and his dream of building a magnificent cathedral alive. The task is daunting, but master-mason Tom Builder, his gifted stepson, Jack, and noblewoman Aliena work together to achieve their dreams. And in the process, the long-hidden secret is revealed.

Premiering July 23, The Pillars of the Earth will be the epic event of the summer. Starring Ian McShane (“Deadwood”) as Waleran Bigod, Rufus Sewell (The Holiday) as Tom Builder, Matthew Macfadyen (Frost/Nixon) Prior Philip, Eddie Redmayne (The Good Shepherd) as Jack, Hayley Atwell (Captain America) as Aliena and Donald Sutherland (“Dirty Sexy Money”) as Bartholomew.
    The Pillars Of The Earth

I absolutely loved the book and the show looks fantastic! I was so disappointed in Spartacus, but I have high hopes for this one after seeing the previews!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: The Pillars of the Earth (Starz)

This will be 8 hours long. I have also heard that Starz has picked up and will be filming the sequel.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Starts this Friday, July 23rd, 2010 on Starz.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

The first reviews are in!:
    Roush Review: Pillars Revives the Old-Fashioned Epic

They really don't make them like this anymore. And we're not talking about 12th-century Gothic cathedrals. The Pillars of the Earth, a sprawling historical melodrama based on Ken Follett's mammoth bestseller, conjures nostalgic memories of the days of yore, way back in the 20th century, when networks devoted entire weeks to "event" miniseries like Shogun, The Winds of War, The Thorn Birds, Lonesome Dove, to name a memorable few—although in this case, North and South is the best comparison.

Pillars, airing eight hours on Starz over six summer Fridays, represents the best and worst of this long-neglected form of epic storytelling. It's a lavish costume spectacle, racing through the royal and religious intrigues that swirl around the construction of a cathedral in an otherwise unassuming English market town.

It gives juicy roles to a large cast including celebrated veterans (Donald Sutherland, Ian McShane), leading men (Rufus Sewell, Matthew Macfadyen) and up-and-comers (Alison Pill as an exiled queen, gawky Eddie Redmayne as the impulsive young hero). With so much story crammed into its several decades of twists and turns, many of them tragic, there's rarely a dull moment.

There aren't all that many credible moments, either, not that it matters once you get caught up in the sheer thrust of its page-turning cliffhanger-prone narrative.

This is one of those potboilers where the good guys (Madfadyen as a pious friar, Sewell as a master builder) are impossibly noble, suffering in a lawless time through the murderous machinations of the endlessly scheming villains (most notably McShane hamming it up as a cunningly ambitious church official).

Amid the beheadings and hangings, revenge plots and repetitive armed sieges, there's matricide, a witch hunt, murder, rape and other calamities. One prays for relief, but first they've got to finish that blasted church.

Along its bloody, irresistibly hokey path, Pillars builds a case for restoring the mega miniseries to its former glory. Shogun 2, anyone?

The Pillars of the Earth premieres Friday, July 23, and airs through August 27, 10/9, on Starz
    Roush Review: Pillars Revives the Old-Fashioned Epic - omg! news on Yahoo!

The issues Roush has with the story are things I don't care about. Follett wrote a great page-turner of a book, so I expect the show to be the same.

An even better review here: Review | 'Pillars of the Earth': Medieval depravity as a fun TV affair - Glenn Garvin: On TV - MiamiHerald.com

I'm getting excited! For people who don't have Starz, it looks like at least the first episode will be available streaming on Netflix the day after it airs.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

If DirecTV isn't offering free STARZ at the moment, I won't be able to watch this. But I did read the book.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3997283;
    If DirecTV isn't offering free STARZ at the moment, I won't be able to watch this. But I did read the book.
    The first episode is on DTV channel 101, 239, 334, and 800 at 11 p.m. EDT.
    It also aired last night. It introduces the important characters and takes us up to the events of the premier. The premier on Starz starts with episode 2, where Knightsbridge Cathedral burns.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

It looks like tomorrow night's premiere on Starz is BOTH the first and second episodes. TV Guide shows 2 hours for the premiere and the first episode is less than an hour. It doesn't make sense for them not to start at the beginning of the series.

In case anyone is interested, the first two episodes are already available on the Starz website

CCL

For Canadian viewers, it will be airing on The Movie Network, starting tonight.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

So fellow readers how is the series measuring up the book? I haven't read the book just wondering about your take.

Also the relationship between William and Regan is turning my stomach.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;4024709;
    So fellow readers how is the series measuring up the book? I haven't read the book just wondering about your take.

Also the relationship between William and Regan is turning my stomach.
    I don't remember there being incest implied between William and Regan, nor her murdering her husband. Maybe I'm mis-remembering?

Also, Philip was not tortured and hung. He died at a ripe old age. Jack was not garroted. I would say they are taking a lot of liberties with the story. I loved the book. I like the show, even though it doesn't seem like it will follow the storyline closely.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast