+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Pillars of the Earth (Starz)

Re: The Pillars of the Earth (Starz)

well Jack's eyes popped open at the end of the show Friday night. I thought he was a central character and I was surprised that he was killed off but they showed him so often after he 'died' that I wasn't at all surprised when he opened his eyes
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4030607;
    I don't remember there being incest implied between William and Regan, nor her murdering her husband. Maybe I'm mis-remembering?

Also, Philip was not tortured and hung. He died at a ripe old age. Jack was not garroted. I would say they are taking a lot of liberties with the story. I loved the book. I like the show, even though it doesn't seem like it will follow the storyline closely.
    It's been so long since I read the book that I honestly can't remember specific details in some of the plotlines.

I'm trying to take this show as a separate entity to the book. I know that Ken Follett is involved with the show in some capacity, so the changes seem to not have ticked him off to the point of not wanting anything to do with the production.

I'm really enjoying the show. I'm a big fan of Rufus Sewell (I could listen to that man read the phone book!), and I'm really happy to see him play a good guy for once. So often he ends up playing a villain or a creep.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4033195;
    I'm really enjoying the show. I'm a big fan of Rufus Sewell (I could listen to that man read the phone book!), and I'm really happy to see him play a good guy for once. So often he ends up playing a villain or a creep.

agree agree agree! I lurve Rufus Sewell. He's so handsome, even with the dirty scruffy look.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;4024709;
    So fellow readers how is the series measuring up the book? I haven't read the book just wondering about your take.

Also the relationship between William and Regan is turning my stomach.
    The series, IMHO, is far from the story line of the book and I am surprised Follet is allowing his name to be connected in any way. I am in the process of re-reading and:

1. There was no incestuous relationship between Regan and William.

2. Jack, the jongleur was hanged, NOT burned at the stake.

3. Prior Phillip died of old age; he was not tortured and executed.

4. Bartholemew was NOT beheaded; he died in prison.

Not sure I will be continuing to watch. This series is just too far off the mark for my taste.

That being said, I love Rufus Sewell and am not sure I can miss a chance to see him in HD in my family room...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12