+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fall 2010 Schedules

Re: Fall 2010 Schedules

Haven't watched this show - still addicted to Survivor. And, the promos just don't make it look funny.
    However, it's no longer enough for a show to do well in the ratings or, even to win its timeslot. It has to prove itself financially feasible. I would imagine that they're paying Shatner a lot to do it. That, in itself, may be reason to cancel it if it does not exceed expectations.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

If the Dad referred to in the title isn't even funny (although Shatner is a great actor, but only as good as his material on this show ... and the material is pretty darn thin), how good can it be? Supposedly its appeal is that it shows real issues that families have and casts them in a comedic light, but to me it does no such thing, and the comedy is so weak as to be just about nonexistent. Shatner is making the best of a poorly crafted role and show. It sort of reminds me in a way of that recent comedy starring Kelsey Grammer that was cancelled so fast that I can't even remember the name of it ... oh, I think it was "Hank." Kelsey is a terrific comedic actor, but his character was poorly written, supporting cast weak and unremarkable, and that show wasn't funny, either.

I think the network gave it the go ahead in the first place since the book was a huge bestseller and since they got Shatner in the title role. They were counting on those 2 factors to drive up ratings. I heard they had already changed the actor who initially played the son in the pilot. So, I assume they know already that they have a clunker on their hands.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4076007;
    I think the network gave it the go ahead in the first place since the book was a huge bestseller and since they got Shatner in the title role. They were counting on those 2 factors to drive up ratings. I heard they had already changed the actor who initially played the son in the pilot. So, I assume they know already that they have a clunker on their hands.
    Ugh, the present son is so unremarkable, I can only imagine what the first actor was like. It's sad because I think the show could have potential with a stronger supporting cast, making the dad less one-dimensional and giving him more of a life, and getting writers who can come up with truly funny dialog. I also don't find the dad very likeable, and I think in a comedy, especially, you have to like the main character even if he's quirky and difficult. The unfunniness is made even more obvious by juxtaposing this show with Big Bang.

Well, I've tried watching some of the new shows but can't get into any of them. I was so delighted with myself for having found Modern Family last year and telling all my friends to give it a try, that I thought I'd be on the same winning streak this year. No such luck. I thought Raising Hope might be a good, quirky one, but was on the fence after the pilot, then couldn't handle the over-the-top weirdness. $%$%$ My Father Says has a fairly good premise and I love William Shatner and that guy who plays the fella who keeps losing his job (he was brilliant on Monk as well), but the writing is so ordinary, I won't bother spending my time on it. I've accidentally watched 2 episodes of No Ordinary Family but I just don't care for it. I don't care for the characters and how they interact. There's something very off about the show.

Instead, I'll continue with Castle, Modern Family, In the Middle.....I'll have to find Lie To Me Again....and that should be about it for core programs.

Can someone tell me where else I might have seen the actress who plays opposite the male lead in Lie To Me??? She looks so familiar, but I can't place her. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf!;4082998;
    Can someone tell me where else I might have seen the actress who plays opposite the male lead in Lie To Me??? She looks so familiar, but I can't place her. Thanks!
    Do you mean Kelli Williams? She was on The Practice for 7 seasons. At least that's where I know her from. She has a lot of credits on her imdb page, but that's one of the only shows I watched her on. She was also in the terrifically cheesy Christmas movie, A Boyfriend for Christmas.

The only new show I've kept watching - and I watch it online - is Mike and Molly. OH! I'm also still watching Hellcats, which I like a lot more than I thought I would.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My husband was actually stopped in his tracks by Mike and Molly last night. Mike's drunken confession through the bedroom window had him laughing and he asked me to find the show for him. Some aspects bother me but the rest is fine. I really like Hellcats too. I watch No Ordinary Family because so far it's been a show I can share with my (sheltered ~my fault) 10yr old. She loves super-hero stuff and so far there has been no blood and no murder. Still loving The Good Wife. I don't mind a new CW show called Lost Girl, it's supernatural with 'beings' and I love Haven (got hubby hooked on that one too)
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I've been watching Better With You... a show about twentysomething sisters hits home for me, even if both of us are single.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf!;4082998;
    Well, I've tried watching some of the new shows but can't get into any of them. I was so delighted with myself for having found Modern Family last year and telling all my friends to give it a try, that I thought I'd be on the same winning streak this year. No such luck. I thought Raising Hope might be a good, quirky one, but was on the fence after the pilot, then couldn't handle the over-the-top weirdness. $%$%$ My Father Says has a fairly good premise and I love William Shatner and that guy who plays the fella who keeps losing his job (he was brilliant on Monk as well), but the writing is so ordinary, I won't bother spending my time on it. I've accidentally watched 2 episodes of No Ordinary Family but I just don't care for it. I don't care for the characters and how they interact. There's something very off about the show.

Instead, I'll continue with Castle, Modern Family, In the Middle.....I'll have to find Lie To Me Again....and that should be about it for core programs.

Anytime you have these questions check IMDB.com. You can find anything you require on that site. The best Movie/Entertainment reference site there is.

Thank you, Critical and razorbacker!!!!! I only saw a few Practice shows, but that's IT! And I'm going to check out IMDB.com. I hate when the answer's on the tip of your tongue.

I'm also going to check out Mike and Molly. I've been meaning to DVR it but keep forgetting.

+ Reply to Thread