+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Undercovers - J.J. Abrams on NBC

Re: The Undercovers - J.J. Abrams on NBC

I enjoyed the first episode, but it went downhill for me from there. I found the writing lacking in that it just didn't make me care about the characters as I had hoped. It wasn't horrible, but it didn't draw me in.

I'm hoping J.J. will now concentrate on bringing the new Michael Emerson/Terry O'Quinn project to fruition.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;4101339;
    I actually thought the chemistry was pretty good after the first episode. Like most shows the first episode is a set up where people get introduced and it takes a bit for the rhythm of the show to get going. I only watched it On Demand not when it aired.
    I, too, only caught it on demand, and would watch the one or two episodes I'd missed whenever I got a chance. I felt it had potential and needed to go through some growing pains. Didn't see the need for the sister character, and sure, if you could accept the fact that a disgustingly beautiful African American couple can run undetected through China you could adjust to the kinks until the show found its legs. They also needed to flesh out the characters of the other two male agents.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

I think it had less to do with chemistry and more to do with what the series was focusing on. Like the writer in that article I posted above said, viewers probably didn't care about problems with the catering business and little domestic squabbles. If the show was more like Alias, ie focused on the action and intrigue - at least until an audience was established - I think it would have done better.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4102581;
    I think it had less to do with chemistry and more to do with what the series was focusing on. Like the writer in that article I posted above said, viewers probably didn't care about problems with the catering business and little domestic squabbles. If the show was more like Alias, ie focused on the action and intrigue - at least until an audience was established - I think it would have done better.
    I have to disagree with on this point. What drew me to watch Castle is the chemistry between Castle and Beckett. What I love about NCIS is the chemistry between Gibbs and his crew. If the storys are good then that is an added bonus. The best shows have both.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4102634;
    I have to disagree with on this point. What drew me to watch Castle is the chemistry between Castle and Beckett. What I love about NCIS is the chemistry between Gibbs and his crew. If the storys are good then that is an added bonus. The best shows have both.
    I meant that I didn't think that a lack of chemistry with the leads was the problem - I think they did have chemistry.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4102581;
    Absolutely. That's what I was hoping when I first heard this was a JJ Abram's show. I had my fingers crossed it would be a kind of continuation of Vaughn/Sydney after they left and ultimately came back to SD-6 but it was so much slower than Alias.

I remember the first epi of Alias where Sydney was in school but was approached by Dixon and her history came out. SD-6 was just...cooler. They packed a lot in that first episode. Not so much in the first epi of Undercovers. While the characters were beautiful to look at, I could've cared less if they cracked the code or saved the world. With Sydney, she always had me on the edge of my seat. [Am seriously nostalgic right now. ]
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4102640;
    I meant that I didn't think that a lack of chemistry with the leads was the problem - I think they did have chemistry.
    Oh, OK. I didn't think there was any. But I was willing to watch to see if the story itself was interesting and that was flatter then the relationship between the leads.

What's funny is I have watched shows just to see how horrible they are, hoping for an improvement. Surface was a prime example of that. I found something to hate in all the story arcs for the entire limited season it ran.

Now, the CW's Vampire Diaries is a different story. I watched it because the premise sounded interesting and I was hooked on True Blood. I must admit I though the first 6 episodes of VD were dreadful but then something happened, I'm thinking it was Damon doing his full on evil which is delicious to watch, but then the rest of the main cast started to jell.

Unfortunately, I could find anything to love, or hate or was interesting and did watch for about 20 minutes based on JJ Abrams name but after that didn't want to waste my time.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123