+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conan O'Brien on TBS (premieres Nov. 2010)

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Conan O'Brien on TBS (premieres Nov. 2010)

Conan signed on to do a late night show at 11pm on TBS, George Lopez will be following him at midnight.

A confusing move for Conan, TBS is pretty much just in the US. We can't even get TBS in Canada. We get some shows but on other networks. George Lopez's talk show is on TLN (Telelatino) in Canada, a station that broadcasts only 25% in English, the rest is Italian and Spanish programming. It makes sense for George Lopez, but I'm sure Conan won't be shown on that station. Perhaps Peachtree will pick it up, but still. Fox would have gotten Conan much more exposure.

Re: The Tonight Show - NBC (formerly The Jay Leno Show)

It could be an interesting move for Conan.
    While on the surface, it seems like a step down, it could be more in line with his target audience.
    He'd be competing against Stewart and Colbert and Chelsea Handler.
    I'm just surprised that they're ponying up as much $$ as they are to get him.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

LG.

Re: Conan O'Brien on TBS (premieres Nov. 2010)

I think the move makes sense because Fox wasn't committing to how many of its local affiliates would cover the show. Then his ratings at Fox would be compared to Jay and Dave when he doesn't even have as many stations, a losing proposition for sure. Right now, network programming on Fox ends at 10pm (9 Central), an hour earlier than the other networks, and local affiliates get to fill the rest of the night with their choice - many of them have popular syndicated shows and wouldn't want to take a chance on Coco. Also, with a cable network Conan will only film 4 shows a week and get more time off, as he always wanted more time away from the show than Jay takes. I've been a Conan fan since 1993, so I'm sure I'll follow him to TBS.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Didn't anyone else find it interesting that Jay had been 'mums the word' about the entire ordeal until a week or so before Conan's new show is announced he goes on tv saying "Conan got screwed" I've boycotted Jay since he moved back and I have been waiting to see where Conan ends up and as long as I get the channel, which I do, I'll be happily watching..

Ok, I'm not a big fan of Leno from a comedy standpoint, but I am a little tired of people blaming him for Conan's demise.
    Blame NBC / Jeff Zucker.
    Leno had nothing to do with it. He does not run the network.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

I read an article about the artist that came up with the black/white/orange Conan picture, the one with "I'm With Coco" that has become so popular. They asked him what he thought about Conan going to TBS, and he said it was good that Conan would be back on TV, but that he doesn't have cable.

So not only will it be US based only, but also only on cable. That's a smaller audience than he used to have for sure.

I'm hoping for some episodes online or something. I don't have cable either so I'm screwed there. But would gladly watch online.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Conan's new show is basically doing to George Lopez what NBC wanted to do to Conan, which is bumping it back an hour (or is it a half hour). I know that George Lopez is saying that he's on board, but I wonder if that's how he really feels.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

The reports I've read said that Conan refused to go forward until George agreed and, even then, he talked to George himself because he didn't want to do to George what was done to him. From all accounts, George is fully on board and thinks Conan will bring him good ratings as his lead-in.

From what I know about Conan, he's an honorable guy. I'd be shocked if he hadn't really made sure George was okay with the change before it was a done deal.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

George has stated in interviews the same as well that Conan got his blessing before moving forward.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast