+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conan O'Brien on TBS (premieres Nov. 2010)

Re: Conan O'Brien on TBS (premieres Nov. 2010)

May 1: The Consie media ban is done.

Since May 1 is a Saturday and nobody cares, the icebreaker is 60 Minutes, on Sunday.

The very moment last night/this morning when CBS was allowed to post a promo actually showing Conan's face ON TELEVISION they did so: YouTube - Conan O'Brien on His NBC Exit

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

In case anyone missed Conan on 60 Minutes, the interview is already available on the CBS website. The interview definitely solidified how I feel about Conan: he's one class act and, for whatever reason, he got screwed. He did say that neither Leno nor Zucker has called him since this all happened and he's known Zucker since they were classmates at Harvard. Pretty harsh, imo. So much for treating people honorably. They also show his wife in a short interview and talk about how buying Conan out of his contract was more cost-effective than buying out Leno, since Leno's contract is rumored to be in the $150 million range.

He's still just taking the high road and talking about how he's a lucky guy. I'll definitely be watching his new show.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3892491;
    In case anyone missed Conan on 60 Minutes, the interview is already available on the CBS website. The interview definitely solidified how I feel about Conan: he's one class act and, for whatever reason, he got screwed. He did say that neither Leno nor Zucker has called him since this all happened and he's known Zucker since they were classmates at Harvard. Pretty harsh, imo. So much for treating people honorably. They also show his wife in a short interview and talk about how buying Conan out of his contract was more cost-effective than buying out Leno, since Leno's contract is rumored to be in the $150 million range.

He's still just taking the high road and talking about how he's a lucky guy. I'll definitely be watching his new show.
    I agree wholeheartedly. While I felt his vulnerability and anger, he kept himself cool. I love how he put the whole thing in the end, "I didn't get screwed, it just didn't work out."

Ohhh, I watched the interview on 60 Minutes. Yes, indeed, Conan is one CLASS ACT. Great interview. It was good seeing him again. I have missed him so much and all his humor. I cannot wait until his new show starts.
    KAREN

Sorry, but I watched the interview and I definitely thought he slammed Leno a lot. He kept saying he would have handled it differently if he'd been in Leno's shoes.
    Conan is blaming everyone but himself. The ratings went way down with Conan. Most companies fire people when they don't perform. They can't afford to keep them on the air. They actually gave Conan an opportunity to go back to his prior timeslot. He chose not to and got over $30 million for failing.
    Sorry, that's not a class act in my book. That's a whiner.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Leno's ratings tanked as well it was expected. I felt the interview was great and if I had real cable I would be watching Conan. I'm endlessly bummed out he didn't go to network TV where I could watch him but I'll survive.

Leno's ratings after he initially took over the Tonight Show in 1992 were bad. It was compounded by David Letterman's consequential move to CBS to create the Late Show. It really wasn't until 1995 when Hugh Grant admitted on the Tonight Show his alleged incident with a hooker that the Tonight Show's ratings turned in his favor.

I really do think that NBC just made bad decision after bad decision regarding the entire thing from the initial idea of "passing the torch" to Conan in five years to the "Jay Leno Show" to now. I understand that these are different times but 6 months was still in my eyes too short of time for Conan to prove himself.

Conan is angry that his relationship with NBC ended the way it did and rightfully so. I do think though that he realizes that his future (at least for now) lies in cable. His core following is enough to get him solid ratings and the restrictions will be looser which I think is a recipe for success for him .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12