+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Rockford Files 2.0

The Rockford Files 2.0

I do not like remakes. I cannot think of one movie, tv show, tv-to-movie, etc., that was anywhere near as good as the original. If you want to see a classic, watch the original. And, with the advent of DVD's, we can now do so.

The latest attempt by NBC is a new The Rockford Files. Again, watch the original. It is out on DVD. It had a perfect cast. Who can replace James Garner as Jim Rockford? They have chosen Dermot Mulroney, admittedly not my favorite actor. Other sites have suggested that the only good choice would be Josh Holloway. I tend to agree that he'd be the best neo-Rockford, but I'd rather see him in something original.

The only thing that may prompt me to take a look at this show is the addition of Alan Tudyk to the cast in the role originated by Joe Santos.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Re: The Rockford Files 2.0

No one can come close to James Garner. When I heard about this remake, I thought it was a joke. They shouldn't be allowed to do this, remaking classics never works.

I thought I was in a nightmare, to see this thread.

Remake "The Rockford Files"? Why? <crickets> $$$.

I never heard of what's-his-name. Although, if they HAD to do it, Josh would be great (but I still wish they wouldn't mess with perfection).

Major UGH.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Dumb idea.
    This show will probably last as long as the stupid remake of Knight Rider did.

Up here in Canada we have not a remake, but an homage to The Rockford Files called Republic of Doyle. It was created by, produced by and stars Newfounlanders, including the lovely city of St. John's. The star and creator is Allan Hawco, who was inspired to this homage by his memories of watching Rockford with his dad as a young boy. Now that is how you redo a classic show.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I like Dermot Mulroney, but he's no Jim Garner. Why can't they come up with a new show instead of messing up a classic?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3854742;
    I like Dermot Mulroney, but he's no Jim Garner. Why can't they come up with a new show instead of messing up a classic?
    Thank you. That is exactly what I was thinking.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I groaned when I saw that as well. Yes, IF they have to do that type of show, chose someone like Josh - same appeal, same style, but call it something else. There is only one Rockford, and no one will ever be better than James Garner as Rockford. IMO
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Right...it isn't as if there was something so unique in the set up... it was basically just a "cop" show...not a cop show set on the moon or something. So have Josh or whoever star in a show about a PI, who would have friends who are cops of course, etc. What made the show were the actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3854558;
    It had a perfect cast. Who can replace James Garner as Jim Rockford? They have chosen Dermot Mulroney, admittedly not my favorite actor. Other sites have suggested that the only good choice would be Josh Holloway. I tend to agree that he'd be the best neo-Rockford, but I'd rather see him in something original.
    When I first read this, suggesting Josh Holloway, I thought "You've got to be kidding," but then I thought about Josh as a modern Rockford, and you're right! He fits the mold, although you're also right, an original but similar show & character would be better. No matter who plays Rockford, they'll always be compared unfavorably to James Garner.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast