+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Parenthood

Parenthood

This premiered last night. Guess it didn't make a big impression since no one started a thread for it. I liked the movie, but the TV pilot did not thrill me. Maybe it is just woefully miscast, or mis-conceived in general. The only one I liked was Lauren Graham, but she isn't strong enough to pull off the whole show herself. We wish Monica Potter were still on that show about the ad agency (did we get that right, or was that a different brown-eyed blonde??), but they must have canceled it.

Re: Parenthood

I started watching last night but feel asleep about half way through, if that tells you anything. It is def not as good as Modern Family. I'll give it a couple tries though, maybe it'll get better.

Oh, I loved it!!! I thought it had the right blend of stuff from the movie, which is one of my all time faves. I was crying at the end!
    I don't get people comparing it to Modern Family (which I also love). MF is a comedy with a touching side, but parenthood is all drama.
    I think I can relate because I have 2 kids that are 4 & 7. The stuff with the boy having Asperger's broke my heart. The scene when the wife tells the husband rang so true. Can I ask, Harvest & Reneekk, do you have young kids? maybe that's why you don't like it much?
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

That's probably exactly it! I never really read much, except that it would be as good as MF, so I was expecting a comedy. I waited and waited for something to make me laugh, no wonder I was so dissapointed. And, no, I don't have kids. I'm not sure how long I will end up watching it. Things are so stressful in my own life, I try to avoid drama's or things that will upset me more. Thanks for clearing that up pfeifferdcat!

You're welcome Reneekk!
    It's funny, I watched this & then MF right after last night (I record everything), they seemed to go good together for me. Serious & then some comedy to cheer me up!
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

I was going to watch this after seeing the promotions so often during the Olympics but then I forgot when it was on! I never saw the movie but Gilmore Girls is one of my all time favorite shows so I wanted to see Lauren Graham and Ron Howard is one of the nicest, coolest non-Hollywood guys so I always like to see his take on anything. I'll try and watch next week.

ETA: I checked the schedule and it airs Tuesdays at 10PM on NBC for anyone else who wants to check it out.
    Last edited by chrisg; 03-04-2010 at 05:47 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT Fanatic

Not sure about this show yet. I like some of the plot lines, but can't stand others. I'll give it a few more tries before stopping watching it altogether.

So this thing is a drama? I loved the movie (think it's Ron Howard's best work), but I was hesitant to watch the show because I can't stand either Craig T. Nelson or Lauren Graham, and now that I know there won't be any laughs to distract me from them I can safety turn my attention to whatever else happens to be on at that time.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I enjoyed it, but I'm hoping it tightens up and gets stronger in the next two episodes otherwise I don't know if it'll last very long on tv. I enjoy Lauren Graham and several of the other actors, but I'm not sure their characters are strong enough.

NBC ran it again on Saturday night, so I watched it. A few observations - not bad, I'll probably watch it again, but it's up against The Good Wife, so it will have to be on a local channel earlier or later for me to give it another look.

Who was the guy that Lauren had a date with - he looked like the brother in law from Yes, Dear.

So many crisis's in one episode, kinda overloaded for me.

Although LG is a great actress, she's better at the light hearted/comedy/fast talking stuff.

too many "i knew that was going to happen moments"
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast