+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Parenthood

Re: Parenthood

Still not understanding the backlash against the character Joel. It's about time his wife realized she has been taking him and her life for granted for years. She can't even take responsibility for her choice to become emotionally involved with a man who is not her husband. Her ridiculous excuse making about not being responsible for the kiss, let alone everything else is absolutely a legitimate group of reasons Joel has to separate from her. It's not like he's enjoying this anymore than she is. Goodness, he's always been the solid rock in their relationship, the even keeled one to her melodramatic, needy persona. I see his character not as a jerk in any way shape or form-I see a character whose finally had enough of Julia's selfish behavior. Yet, I see a man who is hurt because he truly loves this woman, but needs space to figure out what to do next. Those kids mean the world to him. He is the one who understands those kids intuitively. He's the one who wasn't going to bail on their son when Julia decided it was just too hard. So, how is a man or woman supposed to respond when they discover their spouse is involved in an emotional affair? The kiss , and the refusal by Julia to acknowledge she bore some responsibility for what led up to the kiss (and the kiss itself) was a tipping point for Joel. It's clear to me part of the reason he chose to separate from Julia was to reevaluate and process his feelings about Julia w/o having to expose the kids to seeing their parents fight. I'm never going to view him as a jerk. Julia, on the other hand, needs to grow up, take responsibility for her actions and choices and stop denying she is responsible for inflicting incredible pain upon a man who has been nothing but a solid foundation ,and patient, understanding loving and stabilizing force in her life. Joel isn't gone because he's a jerk, he's gone right now because Julia took him for granted and crossed a line of behavior that not only included an emotional affair but with it disrespectful, childish behavior in regards to his job commitment. Perhaps, she'll realize what she is about to lose and finally grow up and stop living in denial as to how her choices and behavior are the biggest contributing factor to losing Joel. A person can only take being a doormat for so long, and Joel finally decided Julia could no longer step all over him.
    ilja likes this.
    "You have to remember, sometimes your `buddy' isn't really your `buddy' in this game." -Donny

I am definitely not watching the same show as everyone else. Sarah, as usual, is all man hungry over some guy she barely knows. She had no interest in him until she discovered he is a doctor. Talk about cliché. Then, he gets her a job-and no matter how she denies it, there's no way on God's green earth she would have gotten in the door w/o Carl pulling strings. And he sure as heck didn't pull those strings because he actually believes she's good at what she does, he did it to get her to date him. She's doing what she always does-allowing some guy to flatter his way into her life. I mean, this is the guy she couldn't stand until she found out he is the head of a charitable foundation.
    I don't think he respects her work or even understands it or it's importance to her. I just want to slap her and tell her to stop clinging to men, to stop self-sabotaging her life and any chances she has for personal fulfillment outside of sexual and romantic relationships.
    tinderbox likes this.
    "You have to remember, sometimes your `buddy' isn't really your `buddy' in this game." -Donny

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Redsox girl... you're watching the same show... you just bring your own unique life experiences with you and view it (the characters, their actions, etc) in your own way. Nothing at all wrong with it. Just as there's nothing at all wrong with all of us having our own and different opinions.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

FORT Fogey

It looks like Sara is going to want to be more than friends with Hank. I have tried but can't get myself to like Hank ... and I wish they would clean him up a bit. I like scruff on some guys, but he never looks clean! Always rumpled and scruffy. And now here comes Mark again!

Just curious ... those of you who live in CA: Do you have any idea how much the Bravermans would be offered for that house? I know we don't know the square footage or the lot size, but I'm just wondering what the offer they received might have been that was sufficient enough to impress them. In my experience with relatives there, I know homes are way more expensive there than in the SE.

On another note, I know many FORTers like Joel more than they do Julia, but I feel exactly the opposite, and every episode makes me dislike him more. For some reason, he's starting to look physically like Tom on The Blacklist to me ... and that's not good!

I'm thrilled Mark is coming back and I hope his return is longer than one episode! Hank is an ok guy. I like him, in general, BUT not partnered with Sarah.

.... For some reason, he's starting to look physically like Tom on The Blacklist to me ... and that's not good!
    Yikes! I thought it was just me. The two actors who play Tom and Joel could be brothers! (BTW, I'm on Julia's side, too.)
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

I hate that Joel didn't communicate from the get-go. While what Julia did was wrong, he just shut down and didn't say one word. Just gave up. That's what annoys me. However, the scene with him and Victor was great - he said what a good dad should - that he didn't move in, he became their son and he'll always love him. Great scene and great writing. Sydney needs a good swift kick in the ass. She's always been a brat and since Victor came along she is worse.

I always feel awkward watching Max - not because I'm uncomfortable around autistic people, but because he's SO good at it - I actually looked up to see if he had Asperger's because he hits so many of the characteristics. I felt horrible for him this week. He finally realized that he is very different and that people call him a freak, including his former friend Micah. That was so difficult to watch. My heart broke for Adam and Kristina - their expressions said it all.

Sarah is definitely a confused individual but I wish she'd just let Hank go already. I loved Mark and if they bring him back, he needs to stay and let her be happy for awhile.

Do you think they'll sell the Braverman compound? I don't think they will.

Still laughing at last week when Amber and Drew smoked pot and were stoned. Don't love glorifying drug use, but damn they were funny. They were cute this week - glad they have each other's back.
    Last edited by marybethp; 03-21-2014 at 08:24 PM.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

The Max scene was heartwrenching, and the acting so good by all 3 of them (and the teacher). And so was the father son scene for Joel--that poor boy.

I'm still thinking they turn the house into a school, although how they could afford that... maybe they "rent " it from Zeke so the oldsters can travel and still have a suite to come home to? And pay for that from tuition?
    Houses in northern CA near San Francisco (or in it) are astronomical. And they have a lot of land. And they live in Berkeley, right?, right across the Bay, which is now very very expensive... we are talking millions I'd bet. And that's what they should have been asking.
    If I owned it I wouldn't want to sell either...I'd find some other way to afford to travel... do airbnb rentals or something...and have Crosby and Jasmine be the host and hostess while I travel.
    tinderbox and AlwaysVeg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    It looks like Sara is going to want to be more than friends with Hank. I have tried but can't get myself to like Hank ... and I wish they would clean him up a bit. I like scruff on some guys, but he never looks clean! Always rumpled and scruffy. And now here comes Mark again!

Just curious ... those of you who live in CA: Do you have any idea how much the Bravermans would be offered for that house? I know we don't know the square footage or the lot size, but I'm just wondering what the offer they received might have been that was sufficient enough to impress them. In my experience with relatives there, I know homes are way more expensive there than in the SE.

On another note, I know many FORTers like Joel more than they do Julia, but I feel exactly the opposite, and every episode makes me dislike him more. For some reason, he's starting to look physically like Tom on The Blacklist to me ... and that's not good!
    The majority of the posts are in favor of Julia. I think there are maybe three of us who have expressed empathy and understanding towards the character of Joel.
    Last edited by redsox girl; 03-22-2014 at 06:17 AM.

FORT Fogey

I saw a number of posts with "likes" from people saying Julia had been in effect emasculating Joel and wanting everything her way. I just never saw that.

The problem I have with Joel is that what he is doing is affecting the kids so badly. Lots of people stay in unhappy marriages until the kids are 18 and out of the house. You can still make a happy home for your children. I feel especially bad for Victor. This is where I think Joel has messed up the most. How do you adopt a son one year and then the next destroy the very family that he so desperately needed? I see Joel as a very selfish, self-centered person. And now with it looking like he's going to start something up with Pete (which a lot of us guessed would happen awhile ago).

Max - so I was dreading this scene a bit because I have a son who is Max's age that has Aspergers. Yeah I cried... a lot. Had to pause it there. While Aspie kids are all so very different, there are similar traits... while no one has pee'd in my son's canteen, he has been bullied plenty, usually in PE, probably because he's not athletic at all. I will be interested to see what Kristina does, as I know what I would do, and have done in the past. But I can see my son saying the whole bit about being so smart (which he is, well above his peers), then why can't he figure out people. He tries, but he just can't seem to get them. I could go on and on for 1000 pages of what my son and I have been through over the past 14 years. But the most important thing is to see how far he's come. Luckily most Aspie's really don't care all that much what others may think of them, but they too, have their breaking points. It was such an emotional scene, and Parenthood has done Max's storyline incredibly well.
    PWS likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

+ Reply to Thread