+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Parenthood

Re: Parenthood

I only caught about 20 minutes, but what a downer. From the previews I was expecting something a little more light. To me, I saw some similarities in the previews to MF because of the patriarch role - Craig T Nelson vs the actor who played Al Bundy (forgot his name!), and I much prefer MF. It only took me 1 episonde of MF to be hooked. Parenthood, on the other hand......I might watch one more episode to make sure I didn't miss something, but I have a feeling I won't be following this program.

I thought the kids and the young actors were great but the show itself was depressing. I was hoping for more Desperate Housewives type content - balance the sad with humor, even if its dark humor sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3850323;
    NBC ran it again on Saturday night, so I watched it. A few observations - not bad, I'll probably watch it again, but it's up against The Good Wife, so it will have to be on a local channel earlier or later for me to give it another look.
    Luckily, our CBS affiliate has early prime time, so I can watch both. Of course, everything's online anyway, so I could catch it that way too.

I watched the pilot and thought it was pretty good. I think it's one of those shows that will need some time to settle in and hit its stride. Whether NBC gives it that time is going to be the big question. They love cancelling shows after 2 episodes. Maybe the Howard/Grazer names will buy the show some time.

I'm a HUGE fan of the movie, so the show has a lot to live up to. Still, I'm willing to give it a chance.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3850323;
    Who was the guy that Lauren had a date with - he looked like the brother in law from Yes, Dear.
    Yup! He's also the gay guy's (Kurt? I'm bad w/ names) dad on Glee.

I just read something in my entertainment weekly (I think) that said how NBC has marketed this show all wrong. They were trying to make it another Modern Family, but they should be marketing it more like Brothers & Sisters.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

I was expecting more funny, but I'm not opposed to the drama. I haven't seen anything worth raving about yet, but I will continue to tune in for now and see if it improves.

I always give pilots a break, even the first couple of episodes in - it needs to hit the stride an stop trying to tell the audience the story like it's a soap opera.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

I could totally relate to the possum story! They do totally taunt you & make it personal.

I also loved the mom at school story. First the car drop off thing & by the time the auction came around I told my husband, I hated the other lady too! "I know, she doesn't even work!" LOL!
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

I too thought it was more Brothers & Sisters than Modern Family. As someone who watches both those shows, I didn't expect to like Parenthood. But I really did! I like how they're bringing in the Aspergers. People (writers) seem afraid to touch that. I like it - I love Peter Krause. I hate that Dirty Sexy Money and Trust Me were both canceled, but now I can see Peter Krause and Monica Potter - and they make a nice couple. And I enjoy Lauren Graham - she's very goofy and down to earth.

I just couldn't believe the matriarch was Bonnie Bedelia (the wife in Die Hard). Whoa. Barely recognized her.

I hope it sticks around.

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp;3854586;
    I just couldn't believe the matriarch was Bonnie Bedelia
    I didn't recognize her either. After the pilot, I was thinking how odd it was that they cast an unknown as the mother! I was shocked when I saw her name in the opening credits of the second episode. Clearly, she's had some work done.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I saw it for the first time over the weekend.
    It was the episode dealing with Asperger's and not the pilot episode.
    I never saw the movie and wasn't sure what to expect.
    I was not disappointed, though.
    The only thing I found really difficult to swallow was the son who has the baby with the black woman and was not really willing to be in his son's life.
    He told the boy's mother he had plans for that weekend and couldn't spend time with the son as he was expecting to be with his current girlfriend.
    I found this guy really boring, vapid, and not at all attractive. I could not believe that the beautiful black woman had had a baby with him and the current girlfriend, garbed in her tiny teddy, just couldn't keep her hands off him. Sorry, but I thought everyone else was well cast and a good actor / actress. This guy, however, had me puzzled as to why he was even cast.

As far as Bonnie Bedelia, I did a double take, too. I'm so tired of people having plastic surgery that makes them unrecognizable - and not at all in a good way.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread