+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 151 123456789101151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree815Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

PBS begins it's Jane Austin series on Masterpiece Classics, Airing January 24 - February 7, 2010.

First up will be Emma (Romola Garai, Atonement) with childhood friend Mr. Knightley (Jonny Lee Miller,) in the roles. Michael Gambon plays Emma's disapproving father. I just watched a sneak peak over at PBS, and am looking forward to it. Each time a version airs on PBS, the actors give a fresh look to a favorite Austin tale.

Anyone else planning to watch this series?
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Re: Masterpiece Theater

I'm going to give it a try, in spite of the fact that I pretty much hated the other Austen remakes they did a while back. I love Jonny Lee Miller and Romola Garai and I've heard good things about this one, so I'll probably at least check out the first installment.

Yes, some Jane Austen is better than none at all, but I hope this one isn't quite as bad as the new versions of Persuasion and Mansfield Park that BBC did last year.
    Florimel likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I finally watched part 1 of Emma last night and was pleasantly surprised! While I thought there were a few too many modern mannerisms and a few lines that definitely were not late-18th century (Emma saying "Anyway...." stood out), I still enjoyed it.

It's been years since I read the book, so the Gwyneth Paltrow movie is more fresh in my mind in some ways. This adaptation is reminding me of all the things that version left out.

Romola is doing a lovely job as Emma and Jonny Lee Miller is perfect as Knightly - he's got the sex appeal I felt Jeremy Northam lacked in the Paltrow version. The actor playing Mr. Elton is appropriately slimy too.

I'm definitely going to watch the next two parts!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

LG.

I need to remember to set my DVR for the rest of the series. I taped part 1 as a single episode (while we were watching football on the other channel - the irony). Love me some Jane anytime.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Shoot I missed the first one. I plan on catching it when it comes on this week. I really don't watch Masterpiece Theater any other time of year now just when they do the classic books. Really liked Wuthering Heights last year.

If you missed it, you can watch the first episode on the PBS site. Masterpiece | PBS Video

I'm really glad PBS is jumping in on the trend of allowing video on their website.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3804232;
    PBS begins it's Jane Austin series on Masterpiece Classics, Airing January 24 - February 7, 2010.

First up will be Emma (Romola Garai, Atonement) with childhood friend Mr. Knightley (Jonny Lee Miller,) in the roles. Michael Gambon plays Emma's disapproving father. I just watched a sneak peak over at PBS, and am looking forward to it. Each time a version airs on PBS, the actors give a fresh look to a favorite Austin tale.

Anyone else planning to watch this series?
    I am a big Austen fan and definitely watching the series! I was following the quick running commentary by tweeters on @masterpiecepbs on TweetGrid.com (#Emma_PBS) which distracted me. Luckily, I have a DVR and have rewatched the episode to see if I missed anything.

I am fascinated with Romola Garai in this part after seeing her in Atonement. However, I have the image of the Emma movie version permanantly etched in my mind so it will be a hard act follow. Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeremy Northram and Toni Collette are some of my favorite actors. That said, give me Jane Austen anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3812816;
    If you missed it, you can watch the first episode on the PBS site. Masterpiece | PBS Video

I'm really glad PBS is jumping in on the trend of allowing video on their website.
    Thanks for posting the link, hep. That's how I watched it.

While I liked the Paltrow version fine, I thought several actors including Toni Colette (sorry MiniDiva!)and Alan Cumming (who I normally love) were very miscast. With this version, I think all of the actors are very well-cast. I never saw Atonement. I know Romola from other films, including I Capture the Castle, which is one of my favorites.

The Paltrow version was sort of Emma: Cliffs Notes Edition - you got the highlights, but it wasn't really Emma. Although, even in 6 hours, this version has to leave things out, it still is much closer to the book.

This one is MUCH better than those horrid Austen adaptations last year, thank GOD!

My favorite EMMA was the '96 BBC version with Kate Beckinsale as Emma, Mark Strong as Knightley and Samantha Morton fabulous as Harriet Smith. The adaptation was done by Andrew Davies (also did the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle Pride and Prejudice). Somehow, I'm just not feeling Romola Garai as Emma and Jonny Lee Miller (who I usually like) isn't given much to do besides nod and mutter umm, hmm.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

Hibernating

I actually liked this latest adaptation of Emma the best. I recently watched the entire miniseries and thought it was very well done. ( I love Johnny Lee Miller ) I liked the '96 miniseries too, but not quite as much as the latest. I was not a big fan of the movie with Gwyneth Paltrow.

+ Reply to Thread