+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 135 FirstFirst ... 408081828384858687888990919293949596979899100 ... LastLast
Like Tree704Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Somewhere in there comes into play that the mother stole money out of the foundling's donated money to pay for the daughter....Arthur stole the money from her, and put it back...and our heroine got the money out of the container to give to the mother, once she knew why the woman stole it.

I may or may not be misremembering.
    Yes, but then the mother came home drunk and admitted she had drank the money up. She was disstraught, but the blonde girl laid by her and comforted her.

2 weeks of Downton to catch up on:

Click to see Spoiler:
    OOOOOH GIRL! Edith is pregnant, and Michael had disappeared. Can't wait till the family finds out -- Mary will have a field day with it. "Pamuk THIS, bitch!"

So Bates made Mrs. Hughes spill what happened to Anna. It's good that things are out in the open between them, but you know Bates is going to go medeival on Billingham whenever he shows up again, which this week's teaser tells us will be next week. Dun dun dunnnnnnnn...the Bates' attempt at a simple night out was charming, but obviously this trauma isn't going to go away.

So in the span of 2 weeks, Alfred tries out for the cooking school position at the Ritz, is rejected, and then is accepted when aonther entrant withdraws. And Mosley, who has been turned away twice, now has the open footman job. I hope they give Mosley some kind of positive story someday. Using him strictly as comic fodder has become kind of one-note.

Jimmy's a cad -- shocker! At least Ivy realizes what a tease she's been. Poor Daisy -- makes me wonder why she doesn't just move into William's father's farm and start her new life now.

Mary has another suitor, only they're setting him up as an enemy. This new colleague of Napier and Mary obviously have a chemistry (or at least we're being sold that it's chemistry) by the way they spar over the role of the aristocracy in post-war England. And Napier dropped a hint that he might still have a quiet interest in Mary too. (has he never gotten married in the 10 years since the Pamuk scandal?) You can just tell there's going to be some sparks, some fights and maybe a love triangle down the road...

It's good to see Isobel back in fighting form, but this latest conflict with the Dowager over the new gardener seemed a little trite. We've been down this road before more than once. But I guess that will change next week, as the teaser showed Violet taking ill and being confined to bed.

So Rose is having an affair with the black jazz singer. I have to say, I like the actor they cast, but I wish they could have found someone with a more captivating singing voice. Mary caught them kissing after Robert's surprise birthday party -- she's doing nothing for now, but I doubt she'll hold out for long. I like how they are portraying everyone's feelings toward being exposed to somoone of another color with a lot of subtlety. They have mostly been polite and accepting, but you could see the initial apprehension in their faces before they paste a smile on.

I laughed at the little 'easter egg' that Julian Fellowes gave us in the scene with Cora and Robert getting ready for bed after the party. Cora says, "Come to bed, and dream of ragtime!" Elizabeth McGovern was nominated for an Oscar for her role in the movie "Ragtime" back in 1981.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post

Click to see Spoiler:
    OOOOOH GIRL! Edith is pregnant, and Michael had disappeared. Can't wait till the family finds out -- Mary will have a field day with it. "Pamuk THIS, bitch!"

So Bates made Mrs. Hughes spill what happened to Anna. It's good that things are out in the open between them, but you know Bates is going to go medeival on Billingham whenever he shows up again, which this week's teaser tells us will be next week. Dun dun dunnnnnnnn...the Bates' attempt at a simple night out was charming, but obviously this trauma isn't going to go away.

So in the span of 2 weeks, Alfred tries out for the cooking school position at the Ritz, is rejected, and then is accepted when aonther entrant withdraws. And Mosley, who has been turned away twice, now has the open footman job. I hope they give Mosley some kind of positive story someday. Using him strictly as comic fodder has become kind of one-note.

Jimmy's a cad -- shocker! At least Ivy realizes what a tease she's been. Poor Daisy -- makes me wonder why she doesn't just move into William's father's farm and start her new life now.

Mary has another suitor, only they're setting him up as an enemy. This new colleague of Napier and Mary obviously have a chemistry (or at least we're being sold that it's chemistry) by the way they spar over the role of the aristocracy in post-war England. And Napier dropped a hint that he might still have a quiet interest in Mary too. (has he never gotten married in the 10 years since the Pamuk scandal?) You can just tell there's going to be some sparks, some fights and maybe a love triangle down the road...

It's good to see Isobel back in fighting form, but this latest conflict with the Dowager over the new gardener seemed a little trite. We've been down this road before more than once. But I guess that will change next week, as the teaser showed Violet taking ill and being confined to bed.

So Rose is having an affair with the black jazz singer. I have to say, I like the actor they cast, but I wish they could have found someone with a more captivating singing voice. Mary caught them kissing after Robert's surprise birthday party -- she's doing nothing for now, but I doubt she'll hold out for long. I like how they are portraying everyone's feelings toward being exposed to somoone of another color with a lot of subtlety. They have mostly been polite and accepting, but you could see the initial apprehension in their faces before they paste a smile on.

I laughed at the little 'easter egg' that Julian Fellowes gave us in the scene with Cora and Robert getting ready for bed after the party. Cora says, "Come to bed, and dream of ragtime!" Elizabeth McGovern was nominated for an Oscar for her role in the movie "Ragtime" back in 1981.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Of course Edith is pregnant. Rolls eyes. She'll probably miscarry. I don't see her being a single mum and Gregson (if he shows up again) can't divorce his wife yet so he can't make an honest woman out of her.

Cora was smiling like a crazy loon at the restaurant. It was off putting. I kept wondering what was wrong with her.

Well I guess the downstairs quadrangle is off. For now. And the new footman is Moseley so he's not going to be of romantic interest. Poor old Moseley. Carson was quite hard on him.

I guess we are supposed to like the contrary Mr Blake for Mary but I didn't really care for him. I'd rather she go for Napier.

As for Rose...I don't know how serious her fling with the band leader will be. Still think she's going to end up with Tom. He mentioned how it's rare for an earl's daughter to be as free a spirit as Sibyl was but there's Rose over there, being free and sprightly and contravening all social mores.

If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Click to see Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Of course Edith is pregnant. Rolls eyes. She'll probably miscarry. I don't see her being a single mum and Gregson (if he shows up again) can't divorce his wife yet so he can't make an honest woman out of her.

Cora was smiling like a crazy loon at the restaurant. It was off putting. I kept wondering what was wrong with her.

Well I guess the downstairs quadrangle is off. For now. And the new footman is Moseley so he's not going to be of romantic interest. Poor old Moseley. Carson was quite hard on him.

I guess we are supposed to like the contrary Mr Blake for Mary but I didn't really care for him. I'd rather she go for Napier.

As for Rose...I don't know how serious her fling with the band leader will be. Still think she's going to end up with Tom. He mentioned how it's rare for an earl's daughter to be as free a spirit as Sibyl was but there's Rose over there, being free and sprightly and contravening all social mores.

Thanks you two! I really appreciate the updates. You do it so well!
    AZChristian likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

CCL

Downton

Click to see Spoiler:
    I know I was supposed to find the Mary-Blake scenes at the pig farm adorable but that would require me to like Blake. So I spent most of my time wondering what kind of reaming the "pig man" was going to get. And speaking of Mary's suitors, here comes Gillingham. He was awfully concerned about the fate of Downton. Seems like his ardent devotion to Mary is financially motivated. Napier for the win.
    And with Gillingham comes his valet. Ugh. At least he got a reaming from Mrs Hughes but I'm waiting for Mary to find out who was responsible and go at it from the upstairs. As for downstairs, a lot of people seem to think Thomas will be part of that takedown, which I'd be ok with.
    Speaking of downstairs, the love quadrangle will never end and they keep treading the same ground. Sigh.
    Jack and Rose...is fine but it seems like a diversion that will come to nothing. At least he wasn't singing.
    And last, always last, poor Edith...I wonder what her plan with the tenant farmer is going to be? Quickie marriage? Or have her baby be adopted by them? And I don't even care about Gregson but what on earth happened to him?

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Downton

Click to see Spoiler:
    I know I was supposed to find the Mary-Blake scenes at the pig farm adorable but that would require me to like Blake. So I spent most of my time wondering what kind of reaming the "pig man" was going to get. And speaking of Mary's suitors, here comes Gillingham. He was awfully concerned about the fate of Downton. Seems like his ardent devotion to Mary is financially motivated. Napier for the win.
    And with Gillingham comes his valet. Ugh. At least he got a reaming from Mrs Hughes but I'm waiting for Mary to find out who was responsible and go at it from the upstairs. As for downstairs, a lot of people seem to think Thomas will be part of that takedown, which I'd be ok with.
    Speaking of downstairs, the love quadrangle will never end and they keep treading the same ground. Sigh.
    Jack and Rose...is fine but it seems like a diversion that will come to nothing. At least he wasn't singing.
    And last, always last, poor Edith...I wonder what her plan with the tenant farmer is going to be? Quickie marriage? Or have her baby be adopted by them? And I don't even care about Gregson but what on earth happened to him?
    Click to see Spoiler:
    re: Gregson, the fact that he had Edith sign papers of some kind sends a big red flag that he probably was planning on disappearing, and has probably left a lot of debt and/or burden in her lap. Can't wait to see how she takes that, on top of having to deal with a secret pregnancy. I guess we'll be seeing our favorite farmer again next week, who Edith helped out during the war and briefly kissed...and who also was the one dying of dropsy in season 1 before Isabel treated him with adrenaline. They really do seem to love reusing old supporting cast this year...

I can't believe there's only one more episode. and then the Christmas special. I wish they could expand their seasons by even a couple of episodes. We wait so long for it to return, and then it flies by so fast. I can't see Mary's issue with multiple suitors being resolved in a single week, so I guess we know what part of the Christmas special will be about.

Mostly I can't wait for Robert to return from America with Cora's brother, since he's being played by Paul Giamatti. He may not appear until the Christmas special with Shirley MacLaine, but I hope we get a glimpse next week.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Mole people, I've got to give it to you....at least you have been unfailing in your use of spoiler tags. I am really looking forward to January, but I can wait.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm okay with spoilers, but have only looked at one. I'm okay with waiting too.

CCL

Click to see Spoiler:
    re: Gregson, the fact that he had Edith sign papers of some kind sends a big red flag that he probably was planning on disappearing, and has probably left a lot of debt and/or burden in her lap. Can't wait to see how she takes that, on top of having to deal with a secret pregnancy. I guess we'll be seeing our favorite farmer again next week, who Edith helped out during the war and briefly kissed...and who also was the one dying of dropsy in season 1 before Isabel treated him with adrenaline. They really do seem to love reusing old supporting cast this year...

I can't believe there's only one more episode. and then the Christmas special. I wish they could expand their seasons by even a couple of episodes. We wait so long for it to return, and then it flies by so fast. I can't see Mary's issue with multiple suitors being resolved in a single week, so I guess we know what part of the Christmas special will be about.

Mostly I can't wait for Robert to return from America with Cora's brother, since he's being played by Paul Giamatti. He may not appear until the Christmas special with Shirley MacLaine, but I hope we get a glimpse next week.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I didn't realize kissing farmer was the same as sick farmer from season one. Nice.
    Next week is supposed to be ninety minutes.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I look forward to the January winter weather and this quality show! They just seem to belong together. It's more like tradition.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread