+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 156 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast
Like Tree846Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater

I watched the entire first season on Netflix a few months ago and loved it! But for some reason I backed up the first 4 hours of this series on my DVR before I finally got around to watching the first 2 hours last night. After watching last night I am fully invested in this show again. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is with this show that I like so much, I just do!! I can't read the thread right now because I'm still behind, but hopefully I'll be caught up before the series ends again!!

It's so hard for me to comment because I can't remember what's aired on PBS so far and what hasn't and I don't want to spoil anyone. Craig Ferguson totally let a big spoiler fly on his show last week and I was really happy I'd already seen this season! I would have been MAD and I love him!

Uncle David - AMEN about Sherlock! I LOVE this version and the second season is even better than the first!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It's so hard for me to comment because I can't remember what's aired on PBS so far and what hasn't and I don't want to spoil anyone. Craig Ferguson totally let a big spoiler fly on his show last week and I was really happy I'd already seen this season! I would have been MAD and I love him!

Hi and thank you and the others for all the information. \\

I actually can't watch Season 2 in it's entirety in the US ( only those that have aired on PBS) and we can't pick up the New Sherlock's either. SO tried and it wouldn't happen.

However ... I too coud not control myself and wanted to know what happens at Downton. So ... I found pretty comprehensive synopses of all the Season 2 episodes including the Christmas special online. I don't feel spoiled exactly, but rather excited about some things and saddened by others. I can't wait to see it enfold but I won't spoil anyone else either.

Oh how I love this show !
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I'm in the US too and I've been able to watch season 2 of Downton Abbey and Sherlock. Just google around and they're are lots of sites out there
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I watched the pilot episode of Sherlock and had mixed feelings. Yes, it was fun to see Holmes with an iPhone. I took a Victorian literature class in college and I remember the professor saying, "The late 19th century saw an explosion in technology--telephone, telegraph, the first cars, light bulbs, the x-ray machine, etc. If the Victorians were alive today they'd go crazy over the internet." Looks like my prof was right! I also liked how they kept Watson as "a veteran of the Afghan affair" and that scene where he shot the killer in the end. Holmes and Watson both had nerves of steel in the orignal stories, and even fired on a killer in one (see "The Sign of Four"), so I'm glad that they kept the characters accurate.

OTOH, I felt it was a real cliche to have a serial killer for the villain. Doesn't every TV detective have to match wits with a serial killer these days? It's like some kind of "badge of honor". I ended up not watching after that, but I might go back and pick it up again.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I normally don't like shows or movies that change the era like that. I heard such good things about this version of Sherlock that I tuned in and found that I really liked it. I think they've integrated the technology in a way that doesn't do the work for Sherlock and I like the way they use graphics to illustration his thought process. I think Benedict Cumberbatch is perfect in the role. Of course Sherlock Holmes is a bit of a sociopath and, I think, has at least mild Aspberger's. While I wouldn't have thought that about him before, it makes perfect sense with this series. In order to see so many things that other people miss and solve crimes so quickly, there would have to be something different about him, wouldn't there? He's not an ordinary detective.

I love the two leads together, as well as the lovely Rupert Graves, who needs to work more. The second season is even better than the first. The major villain for season 2 is not a new face. It's a nice thread through the season, especially the first and third episodes.

I'm a total fangirl evangelist for this show. I tell everyone I know about it! There hasn't been an announcement about a third season, but I think that's probably just a formality. The show is a huge hit in the UK and both stars have said they'd love to do more episodes. I can't wait!
    AZChristian likes this.

William Even though I knew it was coming, it still made me cry. I really liked him.

Once again, Violet proves that she's an iron hand in a velvet glove. I loved her strong-arming the priest into marrying William and Daisy.

The next few weeks will be a roller coaster of emotions, so get ready!
    Moontat and AZChristian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    William Even though I knew it was coming, it still made me cry. I really liked him.

Once again, Violet proves that she's an iron hand in a velvet glove. I loved her strong-arming the priest into marrying William and Daisy.

The next few weeks will be a roller coaster of emotions, so get ready!
    I loved when Violet was crying at the wedding, and she told Edith, "I've got a cold."
    Moontat likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Count me in among the Downton Abbey fans - I'm even subscribed to Facebook threads on DA and Mr. Bates. I love Brendan Coyle!

I read synopses of each episode before it airs, so I know what to expect. Even so, William's death had me sobbing . . . right alongside Maggie Smith. This show is soap opera at its finest. Did you know there's a Downton Abbey tour available in England? They take you to Highclere House and some of the other filming scenes. Definitely on my "to-do" list for our next anticipated trip there in 2014 - right after the Harry Potter Studio Tour.

I"m such a pathetic tourist. I love all of this stuff!!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I just saw that SHIRLEY MacLAINE is going to play Cora's mother during Season 3 of Downton Abbey. Which brings up a HUGE question. When she and Maggie Smith are on the screen at the same time, WHO will be the primary scene stealer??? I don't know how they plan to portray Shirley's character, but my first thought it would be a "Molly Brown" type of character - rich, but raunchy.

And the best news of that announcement . . . THERE WILL BE A SEASON THREE!!!!

+ Reply to Thread