+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 145 FirstFirst ... 37777879808182838485868788899091929394959697137 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 870 of 1443
Like Tree908Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

  1. #861
    Magical Elf MFWalkoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,853

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Question:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Are there 2 Gillinghams ? I only read the epi descriptions and the spoilers here. There is reference to a Lord Gillingham, a Mr. Gillingham ... and just Gillingham. Who raped Anna?
    Click to see Spoiler:
    It was Lord Gillingham's manservant that attacked Anna. When the family went to Scotland in last year's Christmas special, we learned that the old custom is for lady's maids and valets to be called by the last name of their employer, rather than by their own names. They don't do it at Downton, but they still did it at Shrimpy's castle, and apparently Lord Gillingham's family still does it too.

    I liked how quickly they disposed of Edna -- it was a little too neat, and Tom got off a little easy, but the important thing is she's gone, gone, gone, lol.

    I liked Mary's story even though it was sad, but I was a little conflicted with how she acted after she kissed Tony goodbye...she just got finished telling him that Matthew still filled her head, and then she kisses another man. I was expecting her to break down after, or at least have some kind of emotional reaction. But then, I guess that's Mary.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

  2. #862
    FORT Fogey Imperfect1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,212

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I love Paradise, I am so glad it was mentioned here. I have a soft spot for Sarah Lancashire( Miss Audrey)
    And how nice that Sarah Lancashire is currently starring in Last Tango in Halifax.
    Punkin likes this.

  3. #863
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,131

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    I've recorded Last Tango in Halifax, but haven't watched it yet. How is it?

  4. #864
    FORT Fogey Punkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,762

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    It's wonderful! A lovely story of two people finding love in their golden years with lots of drama going on around them with their grown children. You need only watch the first episode to get hooked! I think you'll enjoy it, Debb.
    Florimel likes this.

  5. #865
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,131

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Good to hear. I noticed it had warning about adult content. Is that common for PBS? The only other time I have seen that was for Call The Midwife. It's not a problem for me, but I was just curious.

  6. #866
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,155

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    And how nice that Sarah Lancashire is currently starring in Last Tango in Halifax.
    She is a wonderful actress , and she is able to wear may hats
    Punkin and Florimel like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  7. #867
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,428

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Click to see Spoiler:
    It was Lord Gillingham's manservant that attacked Anna. When the family went to Scotland in last year's Christmas special, we learned that the old custom is for lady's maids and valets to be called by the last name of their employer, rather than by their own names. They don't do it at Downton, but they still did it at Shrimpy's castle, and apparently Lord Gillingham's family still does it too.

    I liked how quickly they disposed of Edna -- it was a little too neat, and Tom got off a little easy, but the important thing is she's gone, gone, gone, lol.

    I liked Mary's story even though it was sad, but I was a little conflicted with how she acted after she kissed Tony goodbye...she just got finished telling him that Matthew still filled her head, and then she kisses another man. I was expecting her to break down after, or at least have some kind of emotional reaction. But then, I guess that's Mary.
    This practice was very evident in Gosford Park, one of my most favorite films.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

  8. #868
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,122

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Downton

    Click to see Spoiler:
    Yes! Mrs. Hughes slapped Edna down and off she went. Hurrah.
    I wonder if that's really the last we will see of Gillingham.
    I know Anna swore Mrs. Hughes to secrecy but I wish she would tell Bates. Because right now it's more about Bates not finding out than about Anna's recovery.
    Click to see Spoiler:

    Mrs. Hughes is quickly becoming my favorite character! When she sent Edna packing, I cheered!

    Did anyone get a bad feeling when Gregson had Edith sign those papers? Didn't that make her responsible for his debt? He's either going to die in Germany in the unrest before the war OR he's been stringing her along to stick her with his debt. You just know she'll be pregnant AND stuck with his money problems. It would be par for the course with Edith. I hope I'm wrong.

    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  9. #869
    Magical Elf MFWalkoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,853

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Click to see Spoiler:

    Mrs. Hughes is quickly becoming my favorite character! When she sent Edna packing, I cheered!

    Did anyone get a bad feeling when Gregson had Edith sign those papers? Didn't that make her responsible for his debt? He's either going to die in Germany in the unrest before the war OR he's been stringing her along to stick her with his debt. You just know she'll be pregnant AND stuck with his money problems. It would be par for the course with Edith. I hope I'm wrong.

    Click to see Spoiler:
    God I hope not. Edith spent the first three seasons being the Jan Brady of the family. With Sybil gone and Mary widowed, I was hoping that he'd actually give Edith a little happiness for a while and use Rose for all the dumping, lol. But you're right, she is entering into something that could leave her exposed and alone, once again. I guess we'll find out exactly what was in those papers when something bad happens.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

  10. #870
    CCL
    CCL is offline
    Climbing Solsbury Hill CCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    8,652

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Click to see Spoiler:
    the time I remember thinking that she really should read what she was signing. But I didn't think about how she might be taking on his debts or something negative. Poor Edith. I've been watching the first season again and to see her try to get Matthew interested in her and then be all excited that Strallen showed her some interest...I just want her to have some happiness.
    Re-watching the early seasons makes me miss Sibyl more. :/
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.