+ Reply to Thread
Page 83 of 144 FirstFirst ... 33737475767778798081828384858687888990919293133 ... LastLast
Like Tree906Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    I am sooooooooo happy to report that I was WRONG about Last Tango in Halifax having only 4 episodes. I had read that there were only 4, but I just checked Wikipedia, which has a surprisingly long write-up about the series, and it says that not only are there 6 episodes (Yay!), but that it's actually based on a true story! Here's the url Last Tango in Halifax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, if anyone wants to check it out.

Thanks!! It's all the more fun to watch knowing now that it is based on a true story. I was wondering how they were going to wind up all the loose strings in just one more episode. What I find surprising is the accents. They sound more like Brits than Canadians to me. I wonder if that is just true for Nova Scotia?

CCL

It's Halifax, West Yorkshire (UK) not Halifax, Nova Scotia (Canada).
    Punkin and Florimel like this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    I am sooooooooo happy to report that I was WRONG about Last Tango in Halifax having only 4 episodes. I had read that there were only 4, but I just checked Wikipedia, which has a surprisingly long write-up about the series, and it says that not only are there 6 episodes (Yay!), but that it's actually based on a true story! Here's the url Last Tango in Halifax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, if anyone wants to check it out.
    I'm also happy to hear that there are more than four episodes. I've read the description of the episode on my tv info page and there was nothing about "season finale" or "series finale." It does seem as if there's a lot more to wrap up than could be covered in one more episode. I did not know it was based on a true story. I'm heading over to read the wikipedia article.
    prhoshay likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    It's Halifax, West Yorkshire (UK) not Halifax, Nova Scotia (Canada).
    Oh well, that would explain it! Mystery solved

CCL

Downton 4.2
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I liked episode 2 with a couple reservations. The whole "Rose deals with the common folk and has to be saved from the chaos by a servant" was a retread of the (superior) "Tom rescues Sibyl at the protest" storyline. And why is Rose calling Jimmy "James"? There seemed to also be some hints about a Mary-Tom future and I'm not sure how I feel about that.
    Braithwaite and Thomas blaming things on Anna...grrr...

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Downton 4.2
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I liked episode 2 with a couple reservations. The whole "Rose deals with the common folk and has to be saved from the chaos by a servant" was a retread of the (superior) "Tom rescues Sibyl at the protest" storyline. And why is Rose calling Jimmy "James"? There seemed to also be some hints about a Mary-Tom future and I'm not sure how I feel about that.
    Braithwaite and Thomas blaming things on Anna...grrr...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I dunno, Rose's misadventure didn't really make me think of Sybil and the elections. It made me think she's basically addicted to being bad, and being with men, since she couldn't resist kissing the guy she was dumping. The maid's outfit and all that is another symptom that she's probably going to get herself into real trouble sometime soon -- she puts her own pleasure above anything else in her life. As for Rose calling Jimmy 'James', that's all she and the rest of the family have ever called him as a servant -- he is only known as Jimmy downstairs among the other staff. Last season, Carson made it clear when he started that at Downton, he is James to anyone upstairs.

I don't think Mary and Tom are going in the direction of romance. (At least I hope not) They both have a direct interest in maintaining Matthew's vision for the estate, and they can both see that Robert is going to fight them on it. They are allies, as well as family.

I'm "grrrrr" about Edna and Thomas too -- I'm also disappointed that they are turning Edna into an O'Brien clone so quickly. Thomas actually did a good thing getting the nanny fired last week, I thought there might be some hope for him. After Bates saved his job by blackmailing O'Brien, I don't get why he's suddenly aligning with Edna to hurt John & Anna. He already outranks Bates, what more does he want? And why does he care is Edna is happy?

Strange episode. The Cheerful Charlies stuff was kind of thin, and basically an excuse to keep Isobel involved in the story, with Matthew gone. Same with Mosely. He's been a good comic foil but his story is over. Fellowes keeps referencing & bringing back past characters under silly circumstances. He needs to write for the people who are left, and bring on new characters as is needed. At this rate, we'll probably soon be seeing the disfigured Patrick Gordon again, trying to make his claim on Downton. They never did resolve what happened to him after the war, or whether or not he really was who he said he was...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

CCL

^
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Thanks about the James name being for the upstairs, and Jimmy downstairs. I do think Rose is "sillier" than Sibyl but I do think they are trying to draw parallels to her and Sibyl - fellow "free spirit." I'm sure she will get her comeuppance, followed by her redemption.
    With Tom and Mary...I just don't know. There were a few telling glances in the show, and in the preview. Hmmm...
    Patrick Gordon will probably show up to contest Matthew's sudden-found "will" and/or when Edith goes down the aisle with her newly-German beau...kidding (I think).

The Paradise on Masterpiece Classic is starting this Sunday.
    prhoshay likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Legal synopses of each episode (after it airs in Britain) can be found on imdb. I read about the first episode this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Legal synopses of each episode (after it airs in Britain) can be found on imdb. I read about the first episode this morning.
    If you are talking about DA ... there is another site that has recaps/synopses that are quite comprehensive. I have no idea if it's legal or not s I am not chancing it.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread